LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 214 users in the forums

Alternative name for the Redskins

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
This is a very valid point.

I'd also wager that 90% of non NFL fans would not know what Redskins refer to or that it is a racial slur.

Of course the counter argument to your statistic is that while there are maybe 3 million pure Native Americans in the US, there probably is quite a bit more mixed Americans with N.A. heritage. I think we have all met an American Indian mutt or two in our lifetime.

The whole thing is very annoying. And if Redskins are bad, what about Atlanta Braves, Cleveland Indians, Kansas City Chiefs?

Why should Chiefs and Braves be a problem? Is it not correct that these are terms they used? Whereas Redskin was a derogatory title used by the white man?
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Really laughed at this one.
1. If they changed their logo to this, they actually could keep their name.
2. It would be a dig to the NFL commission that this change just went full potato.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerFanMT:
Originally posted by RicetoYoung:
Originally posted by trogdor:
The problem with this whole thing isn't whether or not the name is offensive to 1 or 1 million people, it's that nobody should be forced to change the name of their team to protect someone else's feelings. If public opinion is strong enough they'll change it without being forced to by an overbearing government.

We are becoming a society of pansies that can't handle having our feelings hurt, and it's absolutely pathetic.

Unfortunately you are right. I mean it's become so pathetic that universities are getting rid of the word "Freshman" because it has the word man in it and women think it's sexist. That's just a slight example of what you said.

Wow really? Thats ridiculous.

I guess we need to find a new name for "woman and women" also..

How about "The Woo is very pretty" and "The Wee were playing softball."

Oh s**t, softball is racist to men worth erectile disfunction.
Change the name to Generals and put a variant of this dood on it

there, no one can complain when its a white face
http://m.washingtonpost.com/local/va-legislators-want-to-create-a-redskins-pride-caucus/2014/06/23/6f691fbe-faf5-11e3-932c-0a55b81f48ce_story.html
Politicians
Originally posted by English:
Why should Chiefs and Braves be a problem? Is it not correct that these are terms they used? Whereas Redskin was a derogatory title used by the white man?

Exactly. Using an improved and respected name is promoting them for what they did, so chiefs/indians, etc is a good thing. It recognizes history, and promotes it. Calling them a slur that only white men attached to them is a slur. Not sure how people missed that.

Ever sat around talking about cowboys and indians? yes, and you either described an indian by calling him and indian, or by their tribe name. You never say "redskins" because it is a slur.

That should be a common sense test for anyone.
I can't understand what is so hard about this. The team is named after a racial slur. Get over yourself Snyder and change the damn name. I0'ts that simple.

He sucks as an owner and sucks even more as a person.

For those who are defending Snyder, what if i named a team the Mississippi slave owners?

Oh, but, oh..heritage....honoring.....uh.. yeah but... tradition....culture....a sign of respect....errr
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Jun 23, 2014 at 2:28 PM ]
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
washington deep throats
  • Phil
  • Veteran
RedCoats. They could be British, move to the AFC and make the Patriots their no1 enemy. I'd pay to watch that rivalry.
I've gotten so used to the NFL redskins that I have put in the back of my mind the fact that it is indeed a racial slurand the only one one i know to stereotype natives. So its bad..
[ Edited by matthewabbit on Jun 24, 2014 at 2:03 AM ]

Originally posted by trogdor:
Ad homonym.

There is no right to not be offended. You're just reinforcing my point about us becoming a bunch of pansies when you say stuff like that.

There can be a good case for it being hate speech. If this can be reasonably proven, its just a matter of time before the name is gone.
Washington DC Comics
Fore skins
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
Change the name to Generals and put a variant of this dood on it

there, no one can complain when its a white face

Or how about an even bigger slap in the face?

"Washington Generals"

Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
This is a very valid point.

I'd also wager that 90% of non NFL fans would not know what Redskins refer to or that it is a racial slur.

Of course the counter argument to your statistic is that while there are maybe 3 million pure Native Americans in the US, there probably is quite a bit more mixed Americans with N.A. heritage. I think we have all met an American Indian mutt or two in our lifetime.

The whole thing is very annoying. And if Redskins are bad, what about Atlanta Braves, Cleveland Indians, Kansas City Chiefs?

a "Brave" in our tribe is a boy approaching manhood , a "chief" is a leader of the people ...a "redskin" is a name created by bigots with the intention to hurt our feelings ...haven't really heard the name used as much as it was back in the 70's ...but it was usually accompanied by "dirty f*cking redskin" ...the funny part was, it was always used by country white folks who never took their hygiene seriously ...so it was never all that hurtful to us ...like I said before, we have been called much much worse
Share 49ersWebzone