There are 95 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Alternative name for the Redskins

Originally posted by Niners99:
How is calling Native Americans "Redskins" any more racist than calling someone white or black? Obviously their skin isnt red. Nor is anyones skin literally white or black.

This is good question. But the answer is the history of the word. Native Americans find it offensive in the same way that African Americans find the N-word offensive. The original owner of the team was also a virulent racist and anti-integrationist. The team was the last team in the league to have a black player...and that happened only the Kennedy Administration basically forced him to add a black player.
Originally posted by Bluesbro:

I like it!
Originally posted by GNielsen:
The Washington IndiginousPopulationoftheNorthAmericanContinent's. Go IndiginousPopulationoftheNorthAmericanContinents!!!

Or how about the Braves. Or Warriors. Or the Tribe. The Revolution. The Federals. The Washington Feds. Go Feds! How about the Washington Constitutionals. Go Constitutionals! probably not.

Their logo could be money being flushed down a toilet!
Washington Traitors
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Rednecks.
I agree that it is absolutely ridiculous! Next thing you know we'll have all the grizzly bears complaining the Chicago Bears name is offensive! If the redskin name is offensive then what about the Cleveland Indians, the Atlanta Braves, the Chicago Blackhawks and the Kansas City Chiefs? If people want to change the name then they need to buy the team and change it. If they don't have the money to do so then they just need to shut up and go on. It's only an issue if someone makes it an issue. Our country has bigger problems than a team mascot and name! I support Daniel Snyder and god given right to keep HIS team name as the Redskins!
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ejroland:
I agree that it is absolutely ridiculous! Next thing you know we'll have all the grizzly bears complaining the Chicago Bears name is offensive! If the redskin name is offensive then what about the Cleveland Indians, the Atlanta Braves, the Chicago Blackhawks and the Kansas City Chiefs? If people want to change the name then they need to buy the team and change it. If they don't have the money to do so then they just need to shut up and go on. It's only an issue if someone makes it an issue. Our country has bigger problems than a team mascot and name! I support Daniel Snyder and god given right to keep HIS team name as the Redskins!

It's a racial slur. Name has got to go.
Washington Beefcurts
Originally posted by mayo49:

I'm not trying to be insensitive, and I'm normally one of the most thoughtful people in a room but I don't see how the term 'redskin' is a racial slur. When I hear it, I think of it as calling a white guy white... I mean should white people rally for almost being referred to as "white" 99% of the time and not something directly relating back to their roots? As a black man I take no offense to being called black, though my skin is brown and I would prefer to be called brown.
Originally posted by 24plus25er:

I'm not trying to be insensitive, and I'm normally one of the most thoughtful people in a room but I don't see how the term 'redskin' is a racial slur. When I hear it, I think of it as calling a white guy white... I mean should white people rally for almost being referred to as "white" 99% of the time and not something directly relating back to their roots? As a black man I take no offense to being called black, though my skin is brown and I would prefer to be called brown.

Personally I am holding out for "off-pink". But if people find it offensive to them some sensitivity needs to be shown. I don't accept the argument regarding Blackhawks and Chiefs. I don't think these are offensive namings. If they were for example the Washington Cherokees I don't see a problem. But Redskins? Yes, slightly different.
And by the way, to the poster who equates a complaint from a human with a complaint from an animal who doesn't even speak the language, this is one of the dummer arguments I have heard.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

Redskin is a description used by white people to describe an Indian person. What if someone called you a blackface? That's different, right then being called black.

Redskin is a description used by white people to describe an Indian person. What if someone called you a blackface? That's different, right then being called black.

I'd be honored if someone called me blackface
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Dajanksta:
I'd be honored if someone called me blackface

Are you black?