There are 107 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Vince Young took out a $300,000 loan to pay for his birthday party

As the first comment in the article states, the Wonderlic was right on the money with this guy, all brawn, absolutely no brains.

"BRB, taking out a mortgage just to impress a bunch of free-loaders, parasites and hanger-ons for a single night."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/12/adviser-vince-young-got-a-loan-to-throw-himself-a-300000-party/

If you're wondering how a football player can sign a contract at age 23 that guarantees him more than $25 million and be broke by age 29, Vince Young's spending habits may help you understand.

Young, the quarterback who's currently out of the NFL but was the third overall pick of the Titans in the 2006 NFL draft, is currently embroiled in a lawsuit with his former financial adviser. And that adviser testified that Young once took out a loan because he didn't have enough money to throw himself the kind of birthday party he wanted. That party must have been something a little fancier than the birthday parties I used to have at Chuck E. Cheese's, because Young spent $300,000.

[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 12, 2013 at 4:52 PM ]

That pretty much sums it up. This is probably the dumbest thing I've read this year. What's surprising is that he even scored a positive number on his Wonderlic.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

That pretty much sums it up. This is probably the dumbest thing I've read this year. What's surprising is that he even scored a positive number on his Wonderlic.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
As the first comment in the article states, the Wonderlic was right on the money with this guy, all brawn, absolutely no brains.

"BRB, taking out a mortgage just to impress a bunch of free-loaders, parasites and hanger-ons for a single night."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/12/adviser-vince-young-got-a-loan-to-throw-himself-a-300000-party/

<blockquote class="quote"><div>Quote:</div> If you're wondering how a football player can sign a contract at age 23 that guarantees him more than $25 million and be broke by age 29, Vince Young's spending habits may help you understand.

Young, the quarterback who's currently out of the NFL but was the third overall pick of the Titans in the 2006 NFL draft, is currently embroiled in a lawsuit with his former financial adviser. And that adviser testified that Young once took out a loan because he didn't have enough money to throw himself the kind of birthday party he wanted. That party must have been something a little fancier than the birthday parties I used to have at Chuck E. Cheese's, because Young spent $300,000.

I just watched a 30 for 30 film titled Broke and I recall seeing something about 78% of all NFL players going broke within three years of retirement.
I wonder how much money Young actually made.
[ Edited by TheWooLick on Feb 12, 2013 at 5:27 PM ]
what the f**k do you need to spend $300K on for a birthday party?
thats sad if true.
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:

seriously, how many hookers and blow had to be at this party for it to reach $300K?

Forget about all the money he actually made from playing in the NFL, and take the $26 million he got in 2006. Now nearly 7 years later, that means that ON AVERAGE he spent $3,714,285.71 a year over the last 7 years, never mind that he reportedly was in a financial bind after just 5 years.

How much do you all make? Let's say you make $50K: that $3,714.285.71 average yearly money Vince was making? that would represent about SEVENTY FOUR YEARS OF YOUR ANNUAL INCOME.

Insane. There is NO excuse for these reportedly 78% of NFL players going broke. NONE.
Well if he needs that loan paid off, the Niners...
This smiley finally has an official use ...
That's why these guys end up broke.
I thought he was going to be a beast in the NFL after watching that Rose Bowl game against USC. What a shame.
He is like the scarecrow from The Wizard of Oz. Actually the scarecrow was better at least he could dance.
Originally posted by vrabbit:
seriously, how many hookers and blow had to be at this party for it to reach $300K?

Forget about all the money he actually made from playing in the NFL, and take the $26 million he got in 2006. Now nearly 7 years later, that means that ON AVERAGE he spent $3,714,285.71 a year over the last 7 years, never mind that he reportedly was in a financial bind after just 5 years.

How much do you all make? Let's say you make $50K: that $3,714.285.71 average yearly money Vince was making? that would represent about SEVENTY FOUR YEARS OF YOUR ANNUAL INCOME.

Insane. There is NO excuse for these reportedly 78% of NFL players going broke. NONE.

You get people from poverty, give them a crapload of money, blow smoke up their rear end about how amazing they are, and these guys get used to dropping big amounts of cash because they don't know the meaning of it, its like Monopoly money to them and because they've been told how awesome they are all their lives, they don't think that the gravy train will ever stop, that the money will just keep rolling in.

The other issue is all the greedy parasites and posse's that many players end up with, they make it big and all of a sudden every jackass who did they "what's up" to once back in the day is lining up to get theirs, combine that with some of their families treating them as their personal piggybanks and it all goes downhill from there.

Does anyone think for a second that guys like Alex Smith, Larry Fitzgerald, Peyton Manning and RG3 are going to end up broke and penniless someday?

I do think they need to show special care around "financial advisor's" and "gurus" that end up scamming players out of money, David Akers was the victim of such a scheme and basically lost all his money as a result. But when you get that kind of bank, managed properly, you're not just talking about enough money for yourself or your kids, you are talking about your grandkid's and their children being able to be well-off as well.
he'll probably blame the memory loss on concussions and sue the league.
Originally posted by vrabbit:
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:

these 78% are all really making great use of their college educations.