LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 249 users in the forums

The future integrity of the NFL after Super Bowl 47

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by crabman82:
fans these days dont take losses like they used to. right away its about who can you place blame on. what play can we over critique to death and say if this didnt happen we win the game. its sad. we got s**t kicked in the first half are were going to have a seattle like game had the power not gone out. a fade pass on 4th down with your season on the line is the dumbest play call you could have, especially since they eliminated the force out rule a few seasons back. i realize i'm personally not going to change the opinions of those who feel we were robbed. i laughed at seahawk fans years ago who pulled this crap (i live around a lot of them) and i just rolled my eyes in disgust when i seen the threads about being robbed on monday. the whiner label totally fits for this fan base. you dont ask for s**t, you go out and take it and we didnt do that.

We must have not been watching the same game, crabman82. I was watching Super Bowl 47. Perhaps we should get rid of all football rules. Are you OK with that? Somebody shoves a ref and there's not even a flag -- you OK with that, too? Punching and holding allowed, but no biting. Football's a lot like life, dude. There has to be some kind of law -- even on the football field. Can't all be "s**t" -- even in your world.
Originally posted by crimsontide:
fans these days dont take losses like they used to. right away its about who can you place blame on. what play can we over critique to death and say if this didnt happen we win the game. its sad. we got s**t kicked in the first half are were going to have a seattle like game had the power not gone out. a fade pass on 4th down with your season on the line is the dumbest play call you could have, especially since they eliminated the force out rule a few seasons back. i realize i'm personally not going to change the opinions of those who feel we were robbed. i laughed at seahawk fans years ago who pulled this crap (i live around a lot of them) and i just rolled my eyes in disgust when i seen the threads about being robbed on monday. the whiner label totally fits for this fan base. you dont ask for s**t, you go out and take it and we didnt do that.

We must have not been watching the same game, crabman82. I was watching Super Bowl 47. Perhaps we should get rid of all football rules. Are you OK with that? Somebody shoves a ref and there's not even a flag -- you OK with that, too? Punching and holding allowed, but no biting. Football's a lot like life, dude. There has to be some kind of law -- even on the football field. Can't all be "s**t" -- even in your world.

what i am saying is every single game in the history of pro football has bad or missed calls in it. we've had games this year where we have s**t kicked teams and had bad calls against us or a no call in a clear penalty situation. we didnt whine about those, you know why? cus the team played through those things and still won the game. to me the problem wasnt the refs, it was our piss poor execution in all 3 phases of the game when it mattered the most.

im just going to leave this here for people to see.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Niners should've held everyone on that last kick/punt return. They weren't calling anything anyway.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Referees have been reluctant to throw flags in the final minutes since the beginning of mankind. It is a well known fact. It's our own fault for calling such stupid plays to put our fates in the hands of a PI call.

Why is the issue being compacted into a small box that consist of "the final 2 minutes"? They had just called the PI for Torrey Smith about 3 or 4 minutes prior. So basically we are at fault for being violated inside 2 minutes? I have heard the pundits, apologists,and all out haters justify the game and especially that one call with so many excuses that are irrelevant to defining the penalty, but none have shown where in the playbook does the route, time of the game, or the "ignitiator of contact" makes a blatant hold null and void.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
Niners should've held everyone on that last kick/punt return. They weren't calling anything anyway.

And it lead me to ask this question. So is everyone suggesting that the solution for the 9ers would have been to play outside of the rules? if that is so, how conducive is that to "player health"? Open your eyes fellas! This is complete BS.
how about the helmet to helmet hit on Crabtree in the redzone? no call
shoving the ref? no call

the refs sucked, god forbid they ref a game in SF
The refs were going to f**k us regardless. That's what I expect every game, and they sure as hell didn't disappoint me in the super bowl. What we should have done was play four quarters of quality football. Instead, it took a power outage for the players to get their heads out of their asses, but even then, the coaches f**ked up when it mattered most. We played far too poorly to put so much blame on the refs.
Originally posted by crimsontide:

what i am saying is every single game in the history of pro football has bad or missed calls in it. we've had games this year where we have s**t kicked teams and had bad calls against us or a no call in a clear penalty situation. we didnt whine about those, you know why? cus the team played through those things and still won the game. to me the problem wasnt the refs, it was our piss poor execution in all 3 phases of the game when it mattered the most.

So is that your expectation? That if we arent able to overcome the refs, we deserve to lose? I think its time that Americans scrap our way of thinking because its so out of tune with reality. Dude, "taking it in stride" is good to have the ability to do, but to have that as an expectation or else is so unreasonable I cant respond. There are so many institutions and organizations in place because "taking it in stride" does not match up with humanism and justice. I know its just a football game, but the principles are the same. Think about it, the league preaches "player safety" and even charges HUGE fines for it. Then double back and say "dont throw the flag"? It does not add up.
Originally posted by Niners99:
Just to add another one to the list...How about that Boldin catch where he was clear as day 1 full yard short of the 1st down, and the refs spotted it as a 1st down. We then had to use a challenge to reverse it.

I saw that and said to myself "How is that POSSIBLY where they think the ball should be?" He was clearly sitting down a full yard shy of the maker. That's why the coaches have red flags, but really, that one was a no-brainier. We're not talking an inch or so.

• Axl49
  • Veteran
CB CB CB CB CB. Do whatever possible to get Revis even if we Borrow him for a year like Deion.
My question is how do you start the damn game and throw a flag for an illegal formation but not throw for the PI? It's one thing if it's borderline incidental, but it wasn't. He was hanging on his jersey.
Originally posted by bracus:
My question is how do you start the damn game and throw a flag for an illegal formation but not throw for the PI? It's one thing if it's borderline incidental, but it wasn't. He was hanging on his jersey.

And on top of that they threw a PI flag on the Ravens drive before that which gave the Ravens a 1st down after 3rd and long.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Puckdaddy:
Originally posted by ChazBoner:

And it lead me to ask this question. So is everyone suggesting that the solution for the 9ers would have been to play outside of the rules? if that is so, how conducive is that to "player health"? Open your eyes fellas! This is complete BS.

yes, exactly. At least in regards to holding. I get it that on the safety, a holding flag wouldn't have made a difference, but it doesn't change the fact that the "officials" completely ignored at least 5 blatant holding calls on ONE play.

We still overcame it so it was pretty much the refs. The rational fans know the refs screwed us over big time while the irrational ones still see it as it was the team to blame for the loss.

It was all about the first play of the game where the refs effed us over for a so-called illegal formation. That wiped out a first down and a 20 yard gain. It was also an instant momentum killer. We probably would have scored too.

Playing poor is one thing but a team can win despite a poor game.
Share 49ersWebzone