LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 285 users in the forums

Alex Smith: The Aftermath (Post SB)

Shop 49ers game tickets
Trade him.

How many of you would give up 1 Million dollars to a guy you already paid 30 million to for 8 years of work, of which 6 years of the performance was pretty miserable.

If you said yes, you probably don't own a business.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Jan 29, 2013 at 12:52 PM ]
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Trade him.

How many of you would give up 1 Million dollars to a guy you already paid 30 million to for 8 years of work, of which 6 years of the performance was pretty miserable.

Yawn.
Trade him.

Sunk cost?
Originally posted by fryet:
I find it interesting that no one is mentioning Camp Alex. He was preparing the entire team when he wasn't even under contract, and the 49ers had spent a 2nd round draft pick on a QB. Alex has gone over and beyond the call of duty, so I don't see why the organization can't have some class on how they release him. Most likely it won't be an outright release, but they will probably offer him some say on where he is traded.

Btw, last year, it was clear that Alex wanted to return to the 49ers, so teams weren't that interested in bidding for his services when they knew it would only be used to negotiate a higher salary with the 49ers.

I agree and have said pretty much the same about Alex and his taking the entire O under his wing and teaching them the playbook. Without that, we probably don't have the season we did. We would have had to learn the O while the season was going on. Some in here don't understand or want to give him credit for that and what it really meant for us last year!

Having said that, I think we can accomodate Alex and get maybe a 3rd in return. He probably wants to go to the Cards but in reality being traded and becoming a starting qb again for any team is a good thing for Alex.
Trade him.

Problem with your little statement is that in that situation I would be to blame for: picking him, picking all the terrible HC's and GM's and other players. I would look in the mirror for all the reasons for failure not just the qb. Its a joke to put all of the past bad play on 1 guy and hold him to account and then not take any blame for what transpired.
I'm a big Alex Smith fan and he has been through some rough s**t. Having said that, no you do not grant him a release. It's all about the team, the team, the team. You do what is in the best interest of the team. We can potentially get a 2nd or 3rd round pick for him. You make that trade! In fairness, I would attempt to trade him into a good situation, but if you get a great offer from a s**tty team, I'm sorry Alex but we've got to do what's best for a team of 53 players, not just one player. It would be great to let him choose his destination and then trade him, but that's not how it works. I still love Alex though and will always be a huge fan for how tough the man is and I know that he truly is a very good quarterback.
Originally posted by English:
Trade him.

Yawn.

Wow... Just wow. I'm not sure where to start.
Originally posted by rk1642:
Trade him.

Problem with your little statement is that in that situation I would be to blame for: picking him, picking all the terrible HC's and GM's and other players. I would look in the mirror for all the reasons for failure not just the qb. Its a joke to put all of the past bad play on 1 guy and hold him to account and then not take any blame for what transpired.

Yes. This is an argument which has repeated around these parts for years. So it stops here in this thread. Stick to the thread title please guys. There is another thread available for the Neverending Argument.
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Wow... Just wow. I'm not sure where to start.

In another thread, hopefully!
Originally posted by rk1642:
Trade him.

Wasting your keystrokes. Some cannot and will not understand the failures of the 49ers during that timespan.
It is easier to blame one person... lazier too.

Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
Wasting your keystrokes. Some cannot and will not understand the failures of the 49ers during that timespan.

29 seconds! Hmm, ok.
It's a pretty easy answer, to be honest. A player wants to leave, he's under contract, there's a market for him, and you're willing to let him go: Trade him, get compensation, and send him to where he'll hurt you least.

There's only ONE advantage to releasing him, rather than trading him:
It shows prospective free agents that you'll "do right by them" and are a fair team to play with. It shows that the 49ers look at you as a person, rather than some sort of asset.

It's tough to make that claim though, considering the generally-held rule of "you don't lose your job to injury" was broken, and that's what is leading to his release.
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:

29 seconds! Hmm, ok.

You're right. My apologies.
Best not to get started.
In another thread, hopefully!

I am genuinely confused. This is not on topic?
Originally posted by Wubbie:
It's a pretty easy answer, to be honest. A player wants to leave, he's under contract, there's a market for him, and you're willing to let him go: Trade him, get compensation, and send him to where he'll hurt you least.

There's only ONE advantage to releasing him, rather than trading him:
It shows prospective free agents that you'll "do right by them" and are a fair team to play with. It shows that the 49ers look at you as a person, rather than some sort of asset.

It's tough to make that claim though, considering the generally-held rule of "you don't lose your job to injury" was broken, and that's what is leading to his release.

It's the business of things, and Alex doesn't publicly show any ill-will. It'd be a mutual parting. It'll be sad to see such a humble, classy player go, but I want to say that the organization and its fans, as well as a lot of people throughout the league, have a very high degree of respect for his character and skills. He'll have a chance to show he's a starter on another team next year.
Share 49ersWebzone