There are 182 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Alex Smith: The Aftermath (Post SB)

Absolutely NOT!

it's still a business and you don't run a business on sentiment.

Baalke is WAYYYYYYYYYYYY to smart to do that.
trade him, this is a business and Alex will be compensated ver nicely either way
Originally posted by baltien:
Maybe. Even if he did go there (which I'm 99.9% sure he won't), I don't see him throwing well enough to maximize Fitz's talents. It's not hard to figure out why Crabtree's emergence only came about with Kap behind center.

Arizona has no ground game, their o-line is terrible, and they'll be learning a new offense. It's wishful at best to think all of that will suddenly click in one offseason. Alex isn't talented enough to make up for their shortcomings all on his own.

The 49ers would know that better than anybody.

Lol way to try and rewrite history. Crab was already looking like a stud at the beginning of this season. Difference is that Alex had Chemestry with vd too.. Colin did not at first
Hell to the No. With the desperation for quarterbacks this year, he'll bring back something of value in return, a 3rd or 4th rounder is quite better than nothing.
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Originally posted by baltien:
Maybe. Even if he did go there (which I'm 99.9% sure he won't), I don't see him throwing well enough to maximize Fitz's talents. It's not hard to figure out why Crabtree's emergence only came about with Kap behind center.

Arizona has no ground game, their o-line is terrible, and they'll be learning a new offense. It's wishful at best to think all of that will suddenly click in one offseason. Alex isn't talented enough to make up for their shortcomings all on his own.

The 49ers would know that better than anybody.

Lol way to try and rewrite history. Crab was already looking like a stud at the beginning of this season. Difference is that Alex had Chemestry with vd too.. Colin did not at first

Agreed. Crabtree benefitted greatly from his first full training camp. Also, I believe having Moss around helped a lot, too. Crabtree has played very well all season, not just when CK took over.
Originally posted by boast:
i prefer signing Dashon Goldson over keeping Alex Smith

Not saying that they should, but the 49ers can do both, if Goldson signs a long-term deal, then there will be little to increase from his salary this year, if he's franchised again, then it will cost about another 1.5 million. I don't expect them to do much in free agency, nor re-sign more than a couple of their own free agents, cap space, at least for this year, won't be an issue.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 14,924
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Hell to the No. With the desperation for quarterbacks this year, he'll bring back something of value in return, a 3rd or 4th rounder is quite better than nothing.

rumor is talks about smith and our 2nd to jets for Revis. as per kffl.com
  • boast
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 74,695
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by boast:
i prefer signing Dashon Goldson over keeping Alex Smith

Not saying that they should, but the 49ers can do both, if Goldson signs a long-term deal, then there will be little to increase from his salary this year, if he's franchised again, then it will cost about another 1.5 million. I don't expect them to do much in free agency, nor re-sign more than a couple of their own free agents, cap space, at least for this year, won't be an issue.

the FO won't keep Alex around. he will be traded or released.
  • boast
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 74,695
Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Hell to the No. With the desperation for quarterbacks this year, he'll bring back something of value in return, a 3rd or 4th rounder is quite better than nothing.

rumor is talks about smith and our 2nd to jets for Revis. as per kffl.com

too much IMO. Smith and 4th for Revis and his injured self.
The FO can always attemp/try to sent Alex to a team he would like to play for.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 14,924
Originally posted by boast:
Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Hell to the No. With the desperation for quarterbacks this year, he'll bring back something of value in return, a 3rd or 4th rounder is quite better than nothing.

rumor is talks about smith and our 2nd to jets for Revis. as per kffl.com

too much IMO. Smith and 4th for Revis and his injured self.

eh! we'll ahve the 30th or 31st pick in the 2nd and have Carolina's 3rd so we lose what 8-10 spots? and on a team where not all of your picks are going to make the team let alone contribute. I don't see that late of a 2nd for Revis as that much. Alex is just a throw in at this point. as he himself we'd be lucky to get us a 3rd or a 4th,
Originally posted by highway49:
The FO can always attemp/try to sent Alex to a team he would like to play for.

Let's wait and see if ANY teams offer anything .. They all know we are not keeping him.
No. I look at it like the fiduciary duty a board owes shareholders. I like to think that a football team's management owes a duty of performance to the fans (the clients of the firm, if you will). This duty of performance means the management of the team should do their utmost to protect and improve the performance of the team. Letting a player go without compensation to another team that competes against you on a regular basis would be a clear violation of this duty. The club has a duty to extract the maximum value from its asset (A Smith). Management may like a player, but management can't make decisions based purely on their personal feelings towards a player, without violating their duties.

So, see if anyone will give you compensation for Smith, ideally someone in the AFC. Then trade him for max value, balanced with risk of playing him often. If there are not suitors, then sure, grant his release and spin it as "we're managment with heart". It's the only proper choice.
What Robert said!
Originally posted by rk1642:
I used to be of the opinion that we would end up releasing Alex due to the fact that teams would know we can't take the salary hit for a backup qb.

But the more I've thought about it the more I'm convinced that we will be able to trade Alex.

There is a very small window where we can trade him and not take any hit whatsoever so IMO Trent is already on the phone talking and getting a feeling for offers.

I tried to put myself in a GM's shoes that has zero for a starting qb. If I knew Alex was gonna hit the market and my team needs that commodity, do you take a chance on letting him hit the open market where you have to bid with other teams? I don't think so. No other qb is even close in Alex's abilities this offeason! If you are buffalo or the chiefs, do you want to bid against say the Jets (NY market and great city) or Cards(great city and climate)? Who wants to play in cold weather and what wife wants to move from California to upstate NY or the middle of nowhere?

Somebody is gonna give a 3rd for sure, it just makes sense. We all know a team must have a qb to be competative in the NFL and Alex will instantly give a team that component. They still keep their 1st and 2nd rounders for upgrades and your team has a new direction.

Up to Trent to get this done, play teams off each other cause I for one would hate to see Alex go to the Cards.


One question: When Alex was available at the conclusion of last season for no compensation, why wasn't there a rush for his services?

I understand that the media is in a frenzy re his marketability. Peter King and guys like him are speculating on teams that would make a play for him, etc. But these "armchair experts" are notoriously inept at being able to evaluate situations and/or talent at anything other than a very superficial level. Peter King, in particular, is one of the dummest prognosticators I have seen/read. Just a bag of hot air and mostly wrong.

We don't really know how GM's actually feel about Alex's limitations and how much would they be willing to part with in order to land him. Maybe last year's experience gives us a clue. Maybe the horizon has altered and someone will be willing to part with a draft choice for him. i certainly hope for the latter. And yes, IF someone will part with a draft choice for him, The Niners should make the trade. After all the money that the Niners have sunk in him, they are entitled to recoup something.

I wouldn't be concerned where he went. IMO Arizone would be fine. I'm with baltien on this; IMO I think that it would work in our favor. This bit about a player knowing a team's playbook, etc. has generally been debunked as a credible concern. Andy Reid traded his long term starting QB to a division rival The Patriots traded Bledsoe to Buffalo, a division rival. I'll leave it at that.