LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 272 users in the forums

Alex Smith: The Aftermath (Post SB)

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by ads_2006:
common sense would suggest Alex will not be on this team next year, whether he is traded or released, at 8.5 million

the only reason the 49ers wouldnt release him is because he would go to arizona

Are you kidding me?? I would LOVE to trade Alex to the Cardinals. He is a KNOWN at qb, our defense would be licking their chops as they know exactly how to play him.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by DelCed2486:
The 49ers don't owe Smith anything more than his salary. They should seek a trade, but if the right deal isn't there, then there shouldn't be any pressure to release him. Yeah having an $8M clipboard holder is a somewhat expensive luxury, but in the overall context of dollars paid for the QB position, they'll still be doing well considering Kaepernick's status under new CBA. Not to mention they would have a solid backup should something happen to CK.

if we can't trade him, release him. the team could use the money to sign The Hawk. pretty sure we already have a solid back-up in Teh Lord Tolzien.
Originally posted by boast:
The 49ers don't owe Smith anything more than his salary. They should seek a trade, but if the right deal isn't there, then there shouldn't be any pressure to release him. Yeah having an $8M clipboard holder is a somewhat expensive luxury, but in the overall context of dollars paid for the QB position, they'll still be doing well considering Kaepernick's status under new CBA. Not to mention they would have a solid backup should something happen to CK.

if we can't trade him, release him. the team could use the money to sign The Hawk. pretty sure we already have a solid back-up in Teh Lord Tolzien.

This exactly.
1. I don't think Baalke likes or feels for Alex.
2. No way he'll stay to be a backup knowing that so many teams are QB needy.
3. If released he could easily land in Arizona (with full knowledge of our playbook), If traded he'll most likely end up in the AFC (Oak, Browns, Jets, Jags, Chiefs, Titans, etc...)
4. A trade can benefit both parties, granting him his 8 million and maybe getting Revis (don't think it'll actually happen) or some value draft picks...
5. Alex hasn't said anything about being released (not going to happen even if he asks... at least until March 30th) to me this is media BS.
6. The guy has paid his debt to SF now, he cleaned his name, Harb helped him to do that, situation is even, he'll be a starter next year for sure and depending on the team he goes (which I think should be he's only concern and petition to have a say at) he'll keep playing solid football.
7. I wish him well and hope to see him as part of the coaching staff in the future, guy's smart no doubt about it.
8. Get over this either way he'll no longer be a niner.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
CSN 49ers News ‏@CSN49ers

The amount of media around Alex Smith is insane. #SB47 #MediaDay#49ers #49ersTalk

• boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by 9erred:
common sense would suggest Alex will not be on this team next year, whether he is traded or released, at 8.5 million

Are you kidding me?? I would LOVE to trade Alex to the Cardinals. He is a KNOWN at qb, our defense would be licking their chops as they know exactly how to play him.

yeah, let's just give AZ our playbook while were at it.
It would be stupid to just release Alex just because he is a nice guy and they feel some loyalty to him. The NFL is a business and the Niners will treat Alex Smith like any other business decision. He will be traded for the best offer.

Yeah, I guess if you prefer the poor man's Alex Smith with none of the experience, slower afoot, and an even weaker arm, then by all means...
  • boast
  • Hella Fame

Yeah, I guess if you prefer the poor man's Alex Smith with none of the experience, slower afoot, and an even weaker arm, then by all means...

i prefer signing Dashon Goldson over keeping Alex Smith
No.

All those years he was average-to-below-average and got overpaid for it before Harbaugh and company took over, the least he could do is work with Baalke and be traded to a team that's one of his choices, too. That's a consideration that both parties should agree upon, so the Niners get draft pick and/or players back in a fair trade deal. If he were to ask for his release outright because he's under the false impression that the team that drafted him (instead of Rodgers) still owes him this...he's WRONG! But if he understands that this is a business and since he has shown to help out CK and has been professional about losing his starting role, he'll be traded to a team that needs a QB and hopefully was one of his top choices.

The average NFL playbook contains hundreds of plays. Like the WCO of old, we run dozens of different plays out of the same handful of formations.

If Alex knows with 100% certainty what play we will run and when, methinks he's be better of starting a psychic hotline than bothering with the NFL at all.
I say try and trade him and if we can't by the time we have to pay him $$ then release him but tell him when he gets to the point that he's no longer a starter in the league but a good #2 he needs to comeback.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by baltien:

The average NFL playbook contains hundreds of plays. Like the WCO of old, we run dozens of different plays out of the same handful of formations.

If Alex knows with 100% certainty what play we will run and when, methinks he's be better of starting a psychic hotline than bothering with the NFL at all.

if you don't think AZ could gain a competitive advantage over the Niners due to Alex's deep deep knowledge of our O, i don't know what to tell you.
I say unless we get a ridiculous trade offer (say Revis and 1st round pick....one can dream right?), then release him. Or at least let him find a prospective team first and then we try to work a trade that way.

Letting him go on his terms would send a positive message to the locker room that hard work and team play doesn't go unnoticed. Being totally honest, I feel like this is the least we could do after benching the guy earlier this season.

Obviously, it turned out to be the right move but still.
There will be plenty of teams wanting to trade for him like the Jets, Jags, Browns, Chiefs, Bills, Raiders, etc. At the least we should get a 3rd or 4th rd pick for him. We should only release him if no team is willingly to part with a high draft pick for him.
Share 49ersWebzone