LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 226 users in the forums

Alex Smith: The Aftermath (Post SB)

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
Plenty of awful posts in this thread.
So many assuming Smith went to the media. I really doubt that. Simply the media reporting what is a foregone conclusion.
I'm sure Smith will request release AFTER the Super Bowl. A trade is possible, but less likely. Smith would cost too much for the team to keep him, and teams know that.
Given Smith's history, this just doesn't fit his character.
Smith a cancer? Pull your heads out fellas.

My guess is that Alex and Baalke have already had or are in the midst of having this discussion.

They can work on a deal that benefits both Alex Smith and the team.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Obviously we should seek a trade first to get something in return. If he's released, we would not receive a compensatory pick in the following years draft. We can allow Smith and his agent to seek out their own trade partners. That way it insures he ends up in a situation he wants to be in.

At first glance, I thought your idea was good, upon review I do not. The niners can shop Alex for draft picks, their is no tampering rule for a GM to call other GM's to assess interest in Alex, he is after all property of the 49ers. This gives Baalke et al control and they can ascertain his market value quickly. If teams require and interview the 49ers can grant permission after they have decided on compensation up front in draft picks if he passes.

The ball is in the 9ers court, lets use our leverage.
Appearing on ESPN Radio Tuesday morning, Adam Schefter suggested the Jets trade Darrelle Revis for Alex Smith and a second-round pick.
Schefter was just spitballing with Mike and Mike, not reporting. The Jets desperately need quarterback help, Alex Smith is on the block and everyone would be interested in a healthy Revis. The ultra-deep Niners are even in a position to take a one-year flier on Revis, who is due just $6 million in 2013 -- the final year of his contract.
Not if we can avoid it.
Just to be clear, Smith is not too expensive to have as a backup because we can't rework Kaep's rookie deal untill after the third year even if we wanted to. So between the two of them we would have under 10 mill invested in the qb position. That is according to Lacanfora when he was a guest on 95.7 last week.
Originally posted by loxdoggie:
"...but I think he has been given a Reward of 24+ mill when he wasn't playing well.....as well as another award by having Jim Harbaugh resurrecting his career...which helped earn him another 13+mill with us. With Harbaugh saying nothing but positive things about him, even to this day...which would attract teams."

This. And yes, he's been incredibly stand-up thru it all this year (and really over his entire career). However, I don't think that is too much to ask for a player to actually be a supportive teammate rather than a cancer. No way you give a straight release if you can get something of value in return, You listen to where he'd like to go and attempt to work with that to the extent that it works for the team and make a trade. You don't succeed by giving away valuable pieces for nothing. NE/Belichick would never do this.

How about you explain how he has been a cancer? Calling you out on this. Some journo makes up a story like this and you accuse a guy who, regardless of what people think of him as a player has always been 1,000% team guy, of being a cancer.

BS.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Baldie:
Why rid of him at all.....if we kept him we would have the best back-up QB in the league. Between his salary and Kaeps, its like having one starting QB on the roster. Alex may be disgruntled if the niners go that route, but as a good football business decision, it makes more sense. I mean if we were to let Alex go, who is the insurance? Tolzien? With Kaep being a mobile QB, you just never know. If Alex leaves we would have to bring in an experienced back-up and there is just no one outthere.
You don't think Kap will immediately want his contract redone if he has a $8 million back-up sitting behind him next year?
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
f**k this guy for going public about it before our biggest game, couldn't he wait till after the
Bowl to say it

there is zero proof this came from Alex or his camp. it's more likely PFT is making up s**t to generate clicks during the SB. Alex has been nothing more than a class act all season. this would be very out of character of him and why i think this is just pure media speculation.
Originally posted by BobS:
Why rid of him at all.....if we kept him we would have the best back-up QB in the league. Between his salary and Kaeps, its like having one starting QB on the roster. Alex may be disgruntled if the niners go that route, but as a good football business decision, it makes more sense. I mean if we were to let Alex go, who is the insurance? Tolzien? With Kaep being a mobile QB, you just never know. If Alex leaves we would have to bring in an experienced back-up and there is just no one outthere.
You don't think Kap will immediately want his contract redone if he has a $8 million back-up sitting behind him next year?

Doesn't matter what he wants. He's under contract.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by BobS:

Kap can't. it's against the new CBA to do so.

try to get ANY picks for him. If not, release him. simple as that. You don't pay a backup qb 8M a year.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet

Alex Smith says he has no idea where the story came from about asking for his early release. Says he's not thinking about it. Didnt deny tho
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by Jcool:
Quote:
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet

Alex Smith says he has no idea where the story came from about asking for his early release. Says he's not thinking about it. Didnt deny tho

last bit is more media BS
common sense would suggest Alex will not be on this team next year, whether he is traded or released, at 8.5 million

the only reason the 49ers wouldnt release him is because he would go to arizona
The 49ers don't owe Smith anything more than his salary. They should seek a trade, but if the right deal isn't there, then there shouldn't be any pressure to release him. Yeah having an $8M clipboard holder is a somewhat expensive luxury, but in the overall context of dollars paid for the QB position, they'll still be doing well considering Kaepernick's status under new CBA. Not to mention they would have a solid backup should something happen to CK.
Share 49ersWebzone