There are 61 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Alex Smith: The Aftermath (Post SB)

Originally posted by hipcam52:
If we sent Joe packing in a trade then why would we not trade Alex

I agree but remember that the Niners actually took Joe's wishes into consideration. The team just didn't ship him anywhere but to a AFC team he wanted to play on.

I'll going to guess that the Niners will likely do the same for Smith. That is try to get him on a team that he wants to play on.
If we can find a team in the AFC to trade with , and Alex approves of the trading destination , get SOMETHING for him

get a draft pick (4th) and move one ....Kap is obviously the QB of the future , and Alex needs a fresh start , hopefully something gets done quickly without any hostility
Wasn't Palmer traded out of retirement with tons of question marks for like 2 first rounders? I pray we can get better than a single 4th round pick.

Hopefully there will be at least two teams going after him and get the price up a bit. I would be happy with a 2 and a 3 or something like that. Will suck if we let him go for a player that doesn't make the practice squad.
Originally posted by bigmur49:
Wasn't Palmer traded out of retirement with tons of question marks for like 2 first rounders? I pray we can get better than a single 4th round pick.

Hopefully there will be at least two teams going after him and get the price up a bit. I would be happy with a 2 and a 3 or something like that. Will suck if we let him go for a player that doesn't make the practice squad.

Why are all the estimates for smith's value in trade so low? Smith could/will walk into a starting gig on over half the teams in the NFL. He has had a statistically very good 1.5 seasons. Why are we talking about one or two mid round draft choices? I would think that his value is quite abit greater -- at least one mid level first rounder. What am I missing? Thanks.
[ Edited by brodiebluebanaszak on Jan 30, 2013 at 7:13 AM ]
Originally posted by buck:
My guess is that Alex and Baalke have already had or are in the midst of having this discussion.

They can work on a deal that benefits both Alex Smith and the team.

Was about to post this but read far enough to see your comments! Thanks. Teams have worked with players in the past and this team should be able to reach a win-win situation. They might want to keep Smith out of the West, while Smith might have a preference with a team out of the West.

Question--if they cut him early how much of a cap hit do they take, if any?

Edit--Of course, according to Eddie...er...Jed, the niners want to keep Both QBs...Kaepernick and Smith.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Jan 30, 2013 at 7:44 AM ]
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Why are all the estimates for smith's value in trade so low? Smith could/will walk into a starting gig on over half the teams in the NFL. He has had a statistically very good 1.5 seasons. Why are we talking about one or two mid round draft choices? I would think that his value is quite abit greater -- at least one mid level first rounder. What am I missing? Thanks.

That won't happen. Part of the reason is the perception that the 49ers have to release him, that he's a product of Harbaugh's system and that he's merely a "game-manager."

Realistically, I feel that an early 3rd rounder is quite doable.
Originally posted by taney71:
If we sent Joe packing in a trade then why would we not trade Alex

I agree but remember that the Niners actually took Joe's wishes into consideration. The team just didn't ship him anywhere but to a AFC team he wanted to play on.

I'll going to guess that the Niners will likely do the same for Smith. That is try to get him on a team that he wants to play on.
I completely agree , I hope it plays out that way and we get a 2ed round pick even if its for next years draft
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
That won't happen. Part of the reason is the perception that the 49ers have to release him, that he's a product of Harbaugh's system and that he's merely a "game-manager."

I actually think we get a high to mid 2nd. Look at the teams drafting at the top half of the draft. Jacksonville, KC, Philadelphia, Arizona, Jets, and Cleveland (though they don't have a 2nd round pick), all desperately need a start-ready QB. This is a down year for QB's in the draft. And Alex is THE top trade bait. The 49ers arn't gonna just let Alex walk, that won't happen. I bet that the asking price for Alex is gonna be high - a 1st plus other picks - knowing that they probably won't get it. But the chances are good that, as time passes, one of those teams will over do it a little to nab him. I think a 2nd is more than possible, but certainly no lower than a 3rd.
I completely agree , I hope it plays out that way and we get a 2ed round pick even if its for next years draft
I agree, but with limits. If the 9ers FO have a chance to get a 1st or 2nd for him, no mater what team, I think they'll jump on it.
After listening to york i think were trying to get a first round pick or a high caliber player. we are NOT giving him away! And im not a smith fan. Any other year i would say no way. You might not be great with smith but you can keep your job as a head coach. Look for a rookie coach to pay up!
TRADE TRADE TRADE
Drafted, Paid and Played and in resent years showed he has promise and can still be a legit QB in the NFL. The great thing about this situation is... some teams out there will want him due to the off season luck warm QB pool and NO ONE to turn too... Some teams will have a much better chance of winning Smith dealing with trade terms with The Niners then Smith calling his own shots when he walks. Smith is a very intelligent man... he will put himself in a situation to win... Thats with coaches, starting role and growth. So personally a trade would be an ideal way add depth, gain draft picks or dare I say find a starter... Plus the QB position is the hardest spot to fill, due to the importance of that position. Smith has way to much value to just let him walk.
TRADE TRADE TRADE

Red and Gold
TRADE TRADE TRADE
Drafted, Paid and Played and in resent years showed he has promise and can still be a legit QB in the NFL. The great thing about this situation is... some teams out there will want him due to the off season luck warm QB pool and NO ONE to turn too... Some teams will have a much better chance of winning Smith dealing with trade terms with The Niners then Smith calling his own shots when he walks. Smith is a very intelligent man... he will put himself in a situation to win... Thats with coaches, starting role and growth. So personally a trade would be an ideal way add depth, gain draft picks or dare I say find a starter... Plus the QB position is the hardest spot to fill, due to the importance of that position. Smith has way to much value to just let him walk.
TRADE TRADE TRADE

Red and Gold
  • NickV
  • Veteran
I like Alex and wish him the best of luck on his new team.

But if this franchise can trade joe montana it can trade alex smith.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Really. Well, I'm surprised. I think a lot of teams could use "just a game manager." He isn't inclined to make stupid throws under pressure (aka Sanchez, Romo).

I think he could be just the ticket for a developing team that needs to stay in a few games and not get blown out. If they have a running game to lean on, the upgrade at QB might be worth 2-4 games in the W column, depending. He'll stop the bleeding at least, if not carry them on his shoulders to SB.

I gotta believe that's something a team with cap space will give up some high picks for. Maybe the 9ers throw in a salary subsidy, as a sweetener.
Alex got paid and an opportunity to finally prove he belongs in the NFL. We owe him nothing!