There are 206 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Alex Smith: The Aftermath (Post SB)

Originally posted by 49er-from-Yavin-IV:
Insanely in depth and detailed report on Smith's desire to go to the Browns.

http://www.profootballcentral.com/2013/01/29/alex-smith-very-interested-in-browns/

Well, that certainly cleared alot of questions up in my mind. I can see why these writers get paid so well.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by reasonable1:
See I thought that at first myself, but the more I look at it the logical destination for Smith is in Minnesota. The run game, the defense, the cap space to fit talent in, etc. An offseason of Alex Smith and Dwayne Bowe would be a big coup for the Vikes, along with Kyle Rudolph and AP.

Not gonna happen. Minnesota won't dump Ponder just because. Compared to teams like KC and Jacksonville, Minnesota has an infinitely better QB situation. Ponder isn't great, but he's not awful and he showed a lot of improvement in his second season, passer rating, completion %, efficiency....all went up. They're not all of a sudden going to walk away from him unless they've got a chance at say...Tom Brady or Drew Brees.

I was huge on Ponder before he was drafted...no way did I ever imagine he'd be 12th overall. But the reality is Smith gives them a veteran presence that Ponder does not. I'm looking at it from which team fits the best. Now if you stick strict to the glaring QB situations...I believe KC and Cleveland are about 1 and 1a...which ever way you put them.
trade that n***a.
Originally posted by frozen49er:
Well, that certainly cleared alot of questions up in my mind. I can see why these writers get paid so well.

You know that one can't be getting paid per word.
Anybody hear jed yorks interview on espn today. After that there should be no doubt he is being traded. That was most certainly posturing. "We have the cap space to keep both qbs". "In this league you need two good qbs". We are not releasing him. Take that to the bank!
If we sent Joe packing in a trade then why would we not trade Alex
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Trade him to a team that wants to sign him. It will also assure him of his $8M salary, which he will most likely not get in the open market.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by hipcam52:
If we sent Joe packing in a trade then why would we not trade Alex

Exactly.
I think the real question here is this. No matter if he gets cut or traded, for whatever the FO can get for him, I wonder what will happen to the Zone without anymore Alex Smith threads?

Its been so many years of my life, reading the insanity, seeing the bans, I guess Ill have to drink more. Thanks Alex, Thanks Jim. There goes whats rest of my liver.
Originally posted by Wubbie:
They're not misleading. You just have to think about what you're looking at instead of blindly throwing stats around.

Alex has high QB efficiency ratings, high completion percentage, and a low turnover ratio.. likewise, he also doesn't have the same amount of touchdowns as a lot of top-level guys, and he takes a lot of sacks. It means Alex is a methodical/conservative passer who is efficient, but probably not explosive. Alex is a coach's dream because he plays within the framework of the system and is an outstanding teammate.

(These past two years though have been interesting for Alex. For one, as another person mentioned, he tied the record for most quarterback comebacks in the regular season, and this year, he had a pretty high yards/attempt stat. When you consider yards/attempt and his efficiency rating, that says he was starting to develop a balance between high-percentage short passes, and low-percentage intermediate/deep passes. It makes me really wonder how Alex would've turned out if he was developed properly for several years in the same system. He'd probably be in the top 5 for completion percentage every season, and possibly broken the record.)

I think a lot of run-first teams with tough defenses (becoming a rarity in the league) would do extremely well with Alex. Alex could win with, obviously our team... the Ravens... the Patriots... the Broncos... the Vikings... the Seahawks... and a lot of other similarly built teams.
He's not the guy for a team that airs it out, like the Saints or the Colts, but with a good surrounding cast, he can definitely move the offense pretty consistently.

But going back to the original train of thought, about Alex's future, it'll be a good fit for him if he goes to Cleveland with Norv. They've got a young team, with a developing running game. I think he'd do well there.

Alex threw for a TD on 6% of his passes this year. That's way above league average and was in fact among league leaders. To put it into perspective - Joe Montana's career TD % was 5.1% and he only had 3 seasons over 6% with a reasonable number of attempts. His interception % this year is higher but is still among league leaders.

We also have the bonus of being among league leaders in drop %. When he stopped playing we were at around 7% of attempts.

Now obviously Alex isn't Montana, but let's criticize him for something legitimate. Last year he was at 3.8% which is closer to league average, but his interception % was off the charts great. They were playing a different kind of game as they installed the offense. Which it should be added got more explosive as the season went on.

It will be quite interesting to see what interest he garners in the off season.
[ Edited by Evilgenius on Jan 30, 2013 at 12:38 AM ]
1, The 49ers forced him out of his starting job.

2. By trading him to a team of their choice, he doesn't necessarily get the best chance to continue his career/earn a starter's level salary.

3. Since they don't want to start him, they should let him go somewhere where he can start...and he will be better able to choose that on his own.

The right thing to do would be to let him go...sometimes looking for every little advantage isn't the gain you think it is. The 49ers' behavior will be noticed by other players and potential free agents. In the long run, the 49ers gain more from treating Alex with dignity than they do from bargaining him off to the highest bidder.
Originally posted by Niners99:
If we cut him, and he goes to AZ, then our road to more division titles will be harder. Do what DEN did for Tebow. Gather offers, and pick the best few, and let him choose which team he wants to go to of those choices.

Exactly. As dominant as we've looked, let's remember that if not for the Vikings win in Week 17....who knows.

The line in the regular season is thin. Just look at NYG
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by frozen49er:
I think the real question here is this. No matter if he gets cut or traded, for whatever the FO can get for him, I wonder what will happen to the Zone without anymore Alex Smith threads?

Its been so many years of my life, reading the insanity, seeing the bans, I guess Ill have to drink more. Thanks Alex, Thanks Jim. There goes whats rest of my liver.

Seven years of Alex threads. Glad it'll be over.
The team should TRY to trade him. Why do I emphasis on TRY? Well, he will either be traded or cut, I am discounting the team will pay his bonus. Teams may be inclined to wait for him to be cut instead of sending compensation for him.

Also, let's be honest. The media is driving this "interest" in Alex. Remember, last year he was coming of a 13-3 record as a starter and he did not generate much interest, now he is a backup. So, how much will a team be willing to give up for him?
Originally posted by jreff22:
maybe by you...he got a lot of recognition last year and had many talking heads praising him up until he got hurt.

He got praise because he turned his career around. Also, among that praise was still a lot of doubt as well. We'll see how he does on his new team. I have no problem eating crow. I will guarantee you one thing. His rating will not be 100+