There are 73 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Alex Smith: The Aftermath (Post SB)

Originally posted by Young2Rice:
lol Joe Flacco. Fire your agent.

He's looking for $20 mil a year this offseason, Ravens are supposedly offering $16 mil, I'm sure they'll work it out.
God damn Matt Cassel getting $10.5 a year
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
God damn Matt Cassel getting $10.5 a year

pioli gave him that

nobody else would
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
God damn Matt Cassel getting $10.5 a year

Lol what about Kolb in AZ 6 yrs $62M wow!!! Kaep will get a nice contract in a couple years. Go Niners!!
I like Alex a lot and hope he can come in and finish up Sunday night in victory formation ON the field, and wish he could go to San Diego and win the starting job and earn 14 mil a year playing in his old hometown.

But he will NOT be given any starting spot on any team and I think he'll have a tough time winning that job from all the qb hungry teams.
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
I dont think any team that needs a qb will invest a third round pick for Alex. I just dont see it. He is not guaranteed a starting spot from any team that I can tell and I just think that us Niner fans are over-qualifying his credentials--the exact opposite of what GMs around the league are doing. They know Alex is not a qb who can carry a team to 12 win seasons. Teams know also they arent going to give Alex his current contract either when they dont know if hes going to grab that starting spot, so why give a third and pay that compensation for 8-8 seasons

The only reason that he isn't leading this team is a young freak who has yet to be injured.

"the exact opposite of what GMs around the league are doing." Name one GM and your source. You can't. Please don't pass opinion off as fact. I will be the first to say that my opinions are my opinions. I don't claim to have Trent Baalke's ear.

There are no guarantees in life period. "They know Alex is not a qb who can carry a team to 12 win seasons". Who is "they". Can you cite a single source. I don't thinks so.
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Maybe the ball is getting to Kaep faster and in better position to get YAC?

Or Crabs all of a sudden got better at it ?

An argument could be made both ways... In the Arizona game, Crabs gave one of his most impressive performances of YAC that I ever saw...and that was when Alex was throwing the ball.
Originally posted by wysiwyg:
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
I dont think any team that needs a qb will invest a third round pick for Alex. I just dont see it. He is not guaranteed a starting spot from any team that I can tell and I just think that us Niner fans are over-qualifying his credentials--the exact opposite of what GMs around the league are doing. They know Alex is not a qb who can carry a team to 12 win seasons. Teams know also they arent going to give Alex his current contract either when they dont know if hes going to grab that starting spot, so why give a third and pay that compensation for 8-8 seasons

The only reason that he isn't leading this team is a young freak who has yet to be injured.

"the exact opposite of what GMs around the league are doing." Name one GM and your source. You can't. Please don't pass opinion off as fact. I will be the first to say that my opinions are my opinions. I don't claim to have Trent Baalke's ear.

There are no guarantees in life period. "They know Alex is not a qb who can carry a team to 12 win seasons". Who is "they". Can you cite a single source. I don't thinks so.


Youre right! I cant. I really believe these thoughts though and spoke as if they are facts when they are not. My fault for that.
Originally posted by aTx49er:
After watching all the games again on NFL Rewind the biggest difference I noticed in the last 8 games is Kaep held the ball longer before throwing to Crab allowing him to get past the second level of the defense so he had less defenders in front of him. Also even though Crab only had 7 more receptions with Kaep he was targeted way more often than with Alex. Of course other receivers/TEs got targeted less with Kaep....

This makes sense. There wasn't a huge increase in passing yards per game with the shift to Kaep.
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
I like Alex a lot and hope he can come in and finish up Sunday night in victory formation ON the field, and wish he could go to San Diego and win the starting job and earn 14 mil a year playing in his old hometown.

But he will NOT be given any starting spot on any team and I think he'll have a tough time winning that job from all the qb hungry teams.

I'll be here next year bleeding red, crying gold, even if we go 1-15 or 0-16 (as SanDiego once predicted lol -- I'll always go 10-6 in the PYMWYMI thread).

You are going to be SO wrong. I'm sorry that Alex offended you or whatever, but your posts smack of hatred, not withstanding your protestation that "I like Alex a lot"

I might be wrong too a year from now, but I'll be here (god willing) and you can quote me on my post.
Originally posted by wysiwyg:
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
I like Alex a lot and hope he can come in and finish up Sunday night in victory formation ON the field, and wish he could go to San Diego and win the starting job and earn 14 mil a year playing in his old hometown.

But he will NOT be given any starting spot on any team and I think he'll have a tough time winning that job from all the qb hungry teams.

I'll be here next year bleeding red, crying gold, even if we go 1-15 or 0-16 (as SanDiego once predicted lol -- I'll always go 10-6 in the PYMWYMI thread).

You are going to be SO wrong. I'm sorry that Alex offended you or whatever, but your posts smack of hatred, not withstanding your protestation that "I like Alex a lot"

I might be wrong too a year from now, but I'll be here (god willing) and you can quote me on my post.

I'm honest too. I called Harbuagh Harbozo, and Kaepernick "Kraepyernickers". When I'm wrong, I'll admit it. During the GB game, I vowed not to use those names and I haven't. Since I stopped using those names, we are undeeated :)

Originally posted by aTx49er:
After watching all the games again on NFL Rewind the biggest difference I noticed in the last 8 games is Kaep held the ball longer before throwing to Crab allowing him to get past the second level of the defense so he had less defenders in front of him. Also even though Crab only had 7 more receptions with Kaep he was targeted way more often than with Alex. Of course other receivers/TEs got targeted less with Kaep....

This makes sense. There wasn't a huge increase in passing yards per game with the shift to Kaep.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
lol Joe Flacco. Fire your agent.

His contract comes up this year, if I'm not mistaken. He's asking for 20? That's where some of the talk about Alex going to the Ravens came from...but I suspect he'll get paid straight cash homie.

Originally posted by wysiwyg:
I'll be here next year bleeding red, crying gold, even if we go 1-15 or 0-16 (as SanDiego once predicted lol -- I'll always go 10-6 in the PYMWYMI thread).

You are going to be SO wrong. I'm sorry that Alex offended you or whatever, but your posts smack of hatred, not withstanding your protestation that "I like Alex a lot"

I might be wrong too a year from now, but I'll be here (god willing) and you can quote me on my post.

Not the first and not the last. A lot of emotion is tied to Alex...part of being the qb through dark times..even if he helped to eventually get us out.
[ Edited by Jakemall on Jan 29, 2013 at 8:25 PM ]
Originally posted by wysiwyg:
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
I like Alex a lot and hope he can come in and finish up Sunday night in victory formation ON the field, and wish he could go to San Diego and win the starting job and earn 14 mil a year playing in his old hometown.

But he will NOT be given any starting spot on any team and I think he'll have a tough time winning that job from all the qb hungry teams.

I'll be here next year bleeding red, crying gold, even if we go 1-15 or 0-16 (as SanDiego once predicted lol -- I'll always go 10-6 in the PYMWYMI thread).

You are going to be SO wrong. I'm sorry that Alex offended you or whatever, but your posts smack of hatred, not withstanding your protestation that "I like Alex a lot"

I might be wrong too a year from now, but I'll be here (god willing) and you can quote me on my post.


Alex never offended me! I have always rooted for him. And my post wishing for him to win a starting job and earning 14 per in his hometown doesnt really coincide with your thoughts that I have hatred for the man.

I dont think that he is that great of a qb, simple simple simple. Doesnt mean I cant lean out of my chair anymore and root for him to win in this league--just as I have done for this team for 24 years, bleeding the same colors as you
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
I dont think any team that needs a qb will invest a third round pick for Alex. I just dont see it. He is not guaranteed a starting spot from any team that I can tell and I just think that us Niner fans are over-qualifying his credentials--the exact opposite of what GMs around the league are doing. They know Alex is not a qb who can carry a team to 12 win seasons. Teams know also they arent going to give Alex his current contract either when they dont know if hes going to grab that starting spot, so why give a third and pay that compensation for 8-8 seasons

I disagree completely. If you're a new GM, you don't want to wait 2-3 years for your rookie QB to make an impact, you also don't want to be picking up off the trash heap of free agents to hope and pray that a guy like Matt Moore can deliver for you. A 3rd round pick for a guy who has played as well as Alex is a BARGAIN, 3rd round is me trying to be conservative, ideally a 2nd rounder or multiple picks is not out of the question.

There's about 7 or 8 teams that Alex could be starting on next year, even if teams only select him to hold down the fort for a couple of seasons, a 3rd rounder is still a bargain, you know what the success rate of 2nd and 3rd round QB's is???

Bottomline, in the NFL, you need to be able to compete and if you have a smart veteran QB like Alex available, there will be significant interest and I trust Baalke to extract the maximum compensation possible.


Regardless of your personal feelings about Alex Smith, he's a valuable commodity in this league, and the 49ers will act accordingly.
Originally posted by Garcia:
Honestly, no.

Football is a business, if the 49ers let him go without a trade it's a mistake.

If they can't get a trade... obviously, they have to cut him...but a trade should be the goal.


This.
[ Edited by ninersoul on Jan 29, 2013 at 8:43 PM ]