There are 273 users in the forums

Alex Smith: The Aftermath (Post SB)

Shop 49ers game tickets
I'm fine with a 3rd + 4th.

I also agree that this is a business and the Niner don't owe him anything for being a good stand-up guy thru all of this QB controversy etc. He's made millions already. Time to move forward with future HOF QB, Kap
Hell no. Alex Smith would be looking for backup money if it wasn't for Harbaugh. If they can a future 7th for him, Smith should still thank Harbaugh for giving him one last chance at a starting position. And I personally think Smith is a great person, he is just not more than a marginal QB. QB have to throw to their WR.
So Alex is going to be looking for leverage in his future options, so without his agreeing to a restructured deal in a place he doesnt even want to be, he will either take a huge pay cut to be OUR backup, or the Niners will allow him to choose his next destination.
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Sorry, yeah Alex is better then average. I was just using your adjective. You said, "average to top 10 QB."

But, anyway, that is besides the point and that wasn't the subject of our topic discussion.

As for your Staley comment we should not base our roster moves on the off chance that a player goes rogue and hurts the team because he was dissatisfied with a roster move. Can't run organizations on those types of off the wall hypotheticals.

Disrupting the locker room is not a hypothetical..happens all the time.

Originally posted by baltien:
Rewrite history? Please.

Look at Crabs first eight games of the season and then compare them to the last eight. Sure, he looked good with Alex in but he was even better with Kap in. That is indisputable.

We can guess all day about whether he would have done the same if Alex was never benched. Problem with that is your line of reasoning relies on conjecture. Whereas everything I said is verifiable fact.

Go look at the game logs. Numbers don't lie.

Crabs caught 7 more passes with Kaep than with Smith. The difference is that as the year went on Crabs started getting more YAC. Total

Maybe the ball is getting to Kaep faster and in better position to get YAC?

Or Crabs all of a sudden got better at it ?

After watching all the games again on NFL Rewind the biggest difference I noticed in the last 8 games is Kaep held the ball longer before throwing to Crab allowing him to get past the second level of the defense so he had less defenders in front of him. Also even though Crab only had 7 more receptions with Kaep he was targeted way more often than with Alex. Of course other receivers/TEs got targeted less with Kaep....
If Colin got a concussion in this game. Or a "high ankle sprain" or an "upper body injury" in this game.

Alex could and wold come in and win this game. With seven more snaps (which Harbs wouldn't give him) he would have finished #4 in rating, after finishing #9 last year. He tied Joe in all time 4th quarter regular season comebacks LAST YEAR. Detroit motherf****ers, Detroit. Delanie at the goal line with 4 seconds left. The Giants game.

THIS YEAR, he posted the TOP 2 rating games. Both over 150. By a 49er QB ever. That is EVER. In October. Something Joe or Steve never did.

Then he got concussed.

The newbs forget the 2006 Sea game where he walked into the endzone on a bootleg . Or the Denver game the next year. Fast Forward 2011.

That NO game ranks up there with the Garcia Giants Game, the Catch, JT in the Super Bowl, name any other playoff game and both nuts dropped for Alex last year.

While we are drunk with the awesome physical ability / poise that is Kaep, let us not forget that Alex brought this team / stuck with this team through the dark ages (we want carr) to get us here.

To say that that no team will trade for a #1 overall that was on an upward trajectory to go from Top 10, to Top 5, with a HUGE playoff win, 4th Quarter comebacks, playing out of his mind out at the time of his injury (last pass was a TD to Crabtree, while concussed) is nothing short of ridiculous.

Alex will be heard from again in this league. I'm going to root hard for him. Look forward to seeing him next in the Super Bowl (on the other side )
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
Hes going to have to restructure his deal, dont you both agree?

Not at all. Why would he? $8 mil for a quality starting QB is peanuts. Jason Campbell is a scrub and a backup and is making about $4 million a year. Broke down Hasselbeck is making $7.5 million a year in Tennessee.

If anything, Alex might get a pay bump were he to be released. I think you are EXTREMELY underestimating the demand for quarterbacks and that this is one of the worst offseasons for QB availability in recent memory, either through free agency or the draft. I expect the 49ers to get quite a bit better compensation for Alex than what they would have gotten last year.

A team like KC is ripe for a big turn-around and could be a potential playoff team with some solid play at quarterback, a 3rd round pick in exchange would be well worth it for them considering how solid they are across much of the roster.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 29, 2013 at 7:56 PM ]
Originally posted by AmpLee:
His pay is very fair, but I'm sure the team trading would like more than a year worth, so Alex has a little leverage in where he goes.

His deal is actually a series of 3 one year deals, so if the team likes his performance, they'll be able to hold on to him for at least 2 seasons.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
2012 QB salaries

1. Peyton Manning, Broncos - $19.2
2. Ben Roethlisberger, Steelers - $17
3. Michael Vick, Eagles - $16
4. Tom Brady, Patriots - $15.7
5. Eli Manning, Giants - $15.27
6. Drew Brees, Saints - $14.4 (Franchise Tagged in 2012)
7. Phillip Rivers, Chargers - $14.04
8. Sam Bradford, Rams - $13
9. Kevin Kolb, Cardinals - $12.6
10. Matthew Stafford, Lions - $12
11. Matt Ryan, Falcons - $12
12. Mark Sanchez, Jets - $11.64
13. Tony Romo, Cowboys - $11.17
14. Aaron Rodgers, Packers - $10.83
15. Carson Palmer, Raiders - $10.75
16. Matt Cassel, Chiefs - $10.5
17. Jay Cutler, Bears - $10
18. Ryan Fitzpatrick, Bills - $9.8
19. Matt Schaub, Texans - $8
20. Alex Smith, 49ers - $8 (new contract for 2012)
21. Matt Hasselbeck, Titans - $6.67
22. Matt Flynn, Seahawks - $6.5
23. Joe Flacco, Ravens - $6
I dont think any team that needs a qb will invest a third round pick for Alex. I just dont see it. He is not guaranteed a starting spot from any team that I can tell and I just think that us Niner fans are over-qualifying his credentials--the exact opposite of what GMs around the league are doing. They know Alex is not a qb who can carry a team to 12 win seasons. Teams know also they arent going to give Alex his current contract either when they dont know if hes going to grab that starting spot, so why give a third and pay that compensation for 8-8 seasons
Originally posted by boast:
2012 QB salaries

Kinda speaks for itself

#20 salary

Top 10 QB (we can argue placement but he was #9 last year #4 this year if Harbs had given him snaps (7, even if he was 0-7).

A team wil come forward and make a crazy offer. Other teams will try to match and won't match. Like with Joe in '94, the 49ers will make a trade that works for both sides.

lol Joe Flacco. Fire your agent.
Originally posted by boast:
2012 QB salaries

I'm guessing Kaepernick will be somewhere in the $15-16 million range......Paraag is really going to be earning his salary over the next few years.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
lol Joe Flacco. Fire your agent.

He's looking for $20 mil a year this offseason, Ravens are supposedly offering $16 mil, I'm sure they'll work it out.
God damn Matt Cassel getting $10.5 a year
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
God damn Matt Cassel getting $10.5 a year

pioli gave him that

nobody else would
Share 49ersWebzone