There are 83 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Alex Smith: The Aftermath (Post SB)

News has circulated that Alex wants his outright release so he can pick his team. Should the 49ers let him go or try and trade him before the deadline.
  • Garcia
  • Veteran
Honestly, no.

Football is a business, if the 49ers let him go without a trade it's a mistake.

If they can't get a trade... obviously, they have to cut him...but a trade should be the goal.
No! I don't think we can get much but he must have some value.
would be a nice move of the organization to just let him go, but it would be highly unprofessional. therefore the answer has to be no.
"Alex Smith wants release as reward"

I'm sure that was the Chronicle's wording and not Alex's...but I think alot of people see this way.

I have no ill will towards Alex as a person and I hope he does great where ever he goes, hopefully not NFC West.

but I think he has been given a Reward of 24+ mill when he wasn't playing well.....as well as another award by having Jim Harbaugh resurrecting his career...which helped earn him another 13+mill with us. With Harbaugh saying nothing but positive things about him, even to this day...which would attract teams.

Shaun Hill didn't get a "reward"...he got sent to be buried in Detroit's depth chart for a 7th rd pick a year later.

personally I think the Raiders would trade for him, if Alex is worried about being too far from his young son and Wife.
Why rid of him at all.....if we kept him we would have the best back-up QB in the league. Between his salary and Kaeps, its like having one starting QB on the roster. Alex may be disgruntled if the niners go that route, but as a good football business decision, it makes more sense. I mean if we were to let Alex go, who is the insurance? Tolzien? With Kaep being a mobile QB, you just never know. If Alex leaves we would have to bring in an experienced back-up and there is just no one outthere.
  • Garcia
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Afrikan:
"Alex Smith wants release as reward"

I'm sure that was the Chronicle's wording and not Alex's...but I think alot of people see this way.

I have no ill will towards Alex as a person and I hope he does great where ever he goes, hopefully not NFC West.

but I think he has been given a Reward of 24+ mill when he wasn't playing well.....as well as another award by having Jim Harbaugh resurrecting his career...which helped earn him another 13+mill with us. With Harbaugh saying nothing but positive things about him, even to this day...which would attract teams.

Shaun Hill didn't get a "reward"...he got sent to be buried in Detroit's depth chart for a 7th rd pick a year later.

personally I think the Raiders would trade for him, if Alex is worried about being too far from his young son and Wife.

the raiders are not going to trade for alex smith.

they already gave up a lot to get Palmer... and they got a lot of produciton out him..... I don't think having Alex is going to fix their problems.

Teams I see getting Alex
NYJ, KC, Jax.... or maybe Houston to backup Schaub or compete with Schaub.
it's a business, nothing personal.
"...but I think he has been given a Reward of 24+ mill when he wasn't playing well.....as well as another award by having Jim Harbaugh resurrecting his career...which helped earn him another 13+mill with us. With Harbaugh saying nothing but positive things about him, even to this day...which would attract teams."

This. And yes, he's been incredibly stand-up thru it all this year (and really over his entire career). However, I don't think that is too much to ask for a player to actually be a supportive teammate rather than a cancer. No way you give a straight release if you can get something of value in return, You listen to where he'd like to go and attempt to work with that to the extent that it works for the team and make a trade. You don't succeed by giving away valuable pieces for nothing. NE/Belichick would never do this.
Originally posted by Baldie:
Why rid of him at all.....if we kept him we would have the best back-up QB in the league. Between his salary and Kaeps, its like having one starting QB on the roster. Alex may be disgruntled if the niners go that route, but as a good football business decision, it makes more sense. I mean if we were to let Alex go, who is the insurance? Tolzien? With Kaep being a mobile QB, you just never know. If Alex leaves we would have to bring in an experienced back-up and there is just no one outthere.

No way could we afford him. What, something like 7.5 for a backup? I have always liked Alex, and wish him the best. That isnt playing 2nd fiddle here (he would be a problem eventually in the locker room, and we cant afford it), to simply let him go would be foolish if Baalke can get something for him. Chiefs make sense, yes, they have the #1 pick, but who is out there? Maybe Cleveland, Buffalo?

Its a business, he understands that. It would be a happy fairytale to see him cut and ride off to sign a $17 million deal with the team of his liking, but its not good business sense for our team. For his sake, I just hope its not the Jets.
"...but I think he has been given a Reward of 24+ mill when he wasn't playing well.....as well as another award by having Jim Harbaugh resurrecting his career...which helped earn him another 13+mill with us. With Harbaugh saying nothing but positive things about him, even to this day...which would attract teams."

This. And yes, he's been incredibly stand-up thru it all this year (and really over his entire career). However, I don't think that is too much to ask for a player to actually be a supportive teammate rather than a cancer. No way you give a straight release if you can get something of value in return, You listen to where he'd like to go and attempt to work with that to the extent that it works for the team and make a trade. You don't succeed by giving away valuable pieces for nothing. NE/Belichick would never do this.

African and chaz are on the right path with this. He has been paid millions is going to be paid millions more. Nothing personal just bidness!! Get what we can!
Who knows if this is true or not or just speculation. Not sure if it is because I doubt Alex would put out this kind of a distraction before the SB. He could want it later on and Florio could be trying to jump the gun. So back to Alex if it is true I don't think I would just release him... I really like him but we have to do whats best for the team and get some picks out of it. Now that doesn't mean we can't work with Alex and ask to rank the preferences of what team he would like to go to. So Alex says preference 1 is blank.... 2... blank... 3 blank, 4 (the least ranked team he would want to go to). If team 4 offers close but more than what team 3 offers maybe we do Alex a favor and trade him to team 3 even if lose out a tiny bit. Or maybe we try and start off by working with the teams at the top of his list. That being said the smartest business move is to say throw me all your offers and the best one gets him. Side note:I don't think it's about the money.. I think Alex would love to collect a few mil and take the cut and be backup and keep his family here IF he thought he couldn't still start in this league. He's not at the point where he should lay down and be a backup. He can still start in this league even if the team is a bad team.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Jan 29, 2013 at 4:51 AM ]
If we cut him, and he goes to AZ, then our road to more division titles will be harder. Do what DEN did for Tebow. Gather offers, and pick the best few, and let him choose which team he wants to go to of those choices.
[ Edited by Niners99 on Jan 29, 2013 at 4:48 AM ]