LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 256 users in the forums

How to save the probowl

Shop 49ers game tickets
Ok here is how you save the probowl. Play it superbowl weekend loseing side pays towards the winning side charity of up to 20+ mil spread out by each player fromt he loseing side. the mvp from offence and defense split the pot of all the fines from the year.next years superbowl locations are between afc and nfc location winning side wins the location for there side. all teams from the winning side get an extra 3rd rd draft pick. and the winning side is the only side that gets a bye week in the following season.I can think of more but ill let some of you add some cool incentives. sorry for spelling and punct. its from my phone.
I say we turn the Pro Bowl into a paintball game

Guys would go
  • fip24
  • Veteran
hate to pick apart the idea but I'm not sure ayone would participate if they were going to have to pay 400k for being on the losing team. For some young players, like Bowman last year, that would be almost all of their salary. How exactly would only give half of the teams a bye? Then the losing conference would complete the season in 16 weeks and the winning side would need 17? Also, not sure that "winning" an extra 3rd for their franchise would motivate the players, not to mentionit could actually hurt to give other teams in your conference an additional pick (esp if they pick much higher in the draft order).

I end the probowl agme and let the players take part in differnt events (long pass, bench press, etc)
this, this deserves the billy madison treatment.
Originally posted by pahlerbj:
make the cheerleaders go at it.

in mud.

and the team that wins can plow them afterwards.
Originally posted by jdt84_2:
Originally posted by pahlerbj:
make the cheerleaders go at it.

in mud.

and the team that wins can plow them afterwards.

That'll save it.
DUDE, I got it!

Its like a wounded animal. Just put it out if its misery.
Originally posted by westcoastchamp:
Ok here is how you save the probowl. Play it superbowl weekend loseing side pays towards the winning side charity of up to 20+ mil spread out by each player fromt he loseing side. the mvp from offence and defense split the pot of all the fines from the year.next years superbowl locations are between afc and nfc location winning side wins the location for there side. all teams from the winning side get an extra 3rd rd draft pick. and the winning side is the only side that gets a bye week in the following season.I can think of more but ill let some of you add some cool incentives. sorry for spelling and punct. its from my phone.

A bye week is required per the NFL CBA. Its a player safety hazard to not give them a rest at some point in the season.

Players would never agree to attend or play in this game if it cost them a penny.

And awarding a extra 3rd round draft pick to half the NFL teams based on a scrimmage is horribly unfair.

The pro bowl can be saved by simply telling the players this: "If you are elected, you have to attend. If you dont attend, you will not be recognized as a pro bowler for this season, and will not be paid your share."

You will never get players to try very hard, because in the end its not worth risking your health over, especially for guys who are looking for contracts that offseason.

Right now players get their money regardless, and get to keep the "award" of being a pro bowler for that season. If you take these things away, they would all attend unless they had an emergency. They should at least show up and enjoy a paid vacation for a few days. If theyre too hurt to play, fine, but dont be all Derek Jeter about it and decline the invite.
[ Edited by Niners99 on Jan 24, 2013 at 1:31 AM ]
you save it by letting the best players actually play, playing it the week b4 the SB is stupid. Play it like a month after the season OR right before TCs open or something like that so players in the SB can play in the game. I like the idea of giving incentive towards the game, split up fine money or something is fine. the ideas are a little out there in the OP though sorry man

They should probably end it. None of the players play hard. Nobody wants to get hurt in a meaningless game. The effort is horrendous the last few years. Plus all the players that opt out due to "injuries" at the end of the season.
You think the pro bowl is bad, how many of you remember the Play-Off Bowl that was played after the NFL Championship game. It pitted the second place teams from the East and West conferences (only two divisions back then).
  • BobS
  • Veteran
You would have to make the winner's share worth something like 5% of a player's yearly salary. To raise that much cash after expenses tickets would have to be $1,000 a piece. The $50,000 winner's share only means something to a player making around league minimum and not many of those ever make the Pro Bowl. The Pro Bowl stopped being relevant in the early 80's because all the players made enough money off salaries to not need income outside of football. Before that anyone outside of a marque QB or running back had an off season job and was willing to play hard in an extra game for the difference between the winner's and loser's share.
I haven't watched it in years.

Excellent comment RishikeshA - I remember that. When asked what he thought about the game Vince Lombardi said, "It's a losers game for losers." I agree.

The Pro Bowl is so boring and meaningless. I'd much rather they put on something like "A Football Life" like the NFL Network has.
bring back the skills competition.
Share 49ersWebzone