LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 299 users in the forums

Possible landing spot for Alex Smith

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
How do you know NFL GMs don't think this is a good QB class?? Sure you don't draft a QB in the 1st if you team needs one, but you can't draft one in the 2nd either if your a team that trades its 2nd ropund pick for Smith. I mean in each round your gonna have your mind on a QB, especially on the first 3 rounds. And I love how you guys just say 8 million is cheap when its not your money, but other teams didn't give SMith that money either, who's to say they wanna pay Smith 8 million with the possiblity of him faultering??

Because you have several GM's that have come out and said so, along with a crapload of scouts, virtually anyone in the media with any credibility and many of those without it and then some. This is a God awful QB class.

Kansas City's new GM stated that he doesn't think a single QB prospect this year is worth a 1st round pick. Do you literally disagree with people just to be contrarian or what?

Dude watching the draft for years upon years and you really believe what these people say up until the draft......OK, you know your absolutely right, you are so right, you win. Don't care to discuss this with you anymore after all the credibility and sources you post on here.

But you are right, sorry I'm new here, I don't know what I'm talking about.

There isn't a QB worth a first, however. But, I see the line of potential suiters much longer than just KC. KC is just the ideal trade. There's at least one team in EVERY division who would improve with Smith at the helm.
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
Some other options for the Cowboys include acquiring a new quarterback, someone younger, such as Alex Smith from the San Francisco 49ers or Matt Flynn from the Seattle Seahawks. While both those teams have starting quarterbacks, it could work out well for the Cowboys, as they could take Smith, who is young at 28-years-old and has shown that he can win in the playoffs and in the regular season.

The 49ers had no choice but to start Kaepernick after how good he played, meaning Smith is now the odd man out in Northern California. The same thing can be said about Flynn, who was signed to a big deal in the offseason but was beaten out by Russell Wilson. Either player would give a slight step down in talent in terms of Romo's abilities, but with players like Dez Bryant and Miles Austin on the roster, either quarterback could succeed.
http://www.sportsworldreport.com/articles/10610/20130219/dallas-cowboys-trade-rumors-tony-romo-deal.htm

Would be interesting to see Alex Smith in Dallas. How do you think he would do there?

LOL. The thought of Tony Romo being replaced by Alex Smith is worth a laugh or 2.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
LOL. The thought of Tony Romo being replaced by Alex Smith is worth a laugh or 2.

There are a lot of cowgirl fans that would love this. They have no confidence in romo.
Originally posted by Jakemall:

There are a lot of cowgirl fans that would love this. They have no confidence in romo.

That team would be way better with Smith. Decent D and potential good running game. Eliminate the turnovers, and they could be dangerous.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by mkmasn:
How do you know NFL GMs don't think this is a good QB class?? Sure you don't draft a QB in the 1st if you team needs one, but you can't draft one in the 2nd either if your a team that trades its 2nd ropund pick for Smith. I mean in each round your gonna have your mind on a QB, especially on the first 3 rounds. And I love how you guys just say 8 million is cheap when its not your money, but other teams didn't give SMith that money either, who's to say they wanna pay Smith 8 million with the possiblity of him faultering??

Because you have several GM's that have come out and said so, along with a crapload of scouts, virtually anyone in the media with any credibility and many of those without it and then some. This is a God awful QB class.

Kansas City's new GM stated that he doesn't think a single QB prospect this year is worth a 1st round pick. Do you literally disagree with people just to be contrarian or what?

Dude watching the draft for years upon years and you really believe what these people say up until the draft......OK, you know your absolutely right, you are so right, you win. Don't care to discuss this with you anymore after all the credibility and sources you post on here.

But you are right, sorry I'm new here, I don't know what I'm talking about.

There isn't a QB worth a first, however. But, I see the line of potential suiters much longer than just KC. KC is just the ideal trade. There's at least one team in EVERY division who would improve with Smith at the helm.

Because you knew Tannehill would in the top 10, Ponder a 1st round pick, Jay Cutler a 1st round pick , Aaron Rodgers and Brady Quinn falling that far in the draft?? You pay attention to too much media hype. I'd be willing to bet that EJ Manuel, who's stock has been soaring since the Senior Bowl will probably sneak into the 1st round and rightfully so if he does. Teams fall n love with players that the least expected rounds to say there isn't a QB worth a 1st round selection is absurd.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:

That team would be way better with Smith. Decent D and potential good running game. Eliminate the turnovers, and they could be dangerous.

I disagree. I doubt you would find any football experts that would take Smith over Romo. We will see what the NFL teams really think of Smith when the Niners finally move him. If they get a 2nd rounder than I will stand corrected. I just doubt that and dont think that Smith is really that highly regarded around the league. Hell, he was a FA last year and had little interest.
Originally posted by hofer36:
but isnt the principal of doing what is best for the team regardless of whether its a player or personnel guy---no way letting gamble go right before the draft and free agency is best for the team--he would have to have insight on players niners might be targeting, their straegy for resgning their own free agents etc

I have to think that there are some personal/family issues maybe that really forced Gamble to go back to Philly? It can't be just that he wanted to move to Philly at some point.
Originally posted by dhp318:
Originally posted by hofer36:
but isnt the principal of doing what is best for the team regardless of whether its a player or personnel guy---no way letting gamble go right before the draft and free agency is best for the team--he would have to have insight on players niners might be targeting, their straegy for resgning their own free agents etc

I have to think that there are some personal/family issues maybe that really forced Gamble to go back to Philly? It can't be just that he wanted to move to Philly at some point.

Why not? He has ties to the Eagles, his Dad was President there at one time, and that is his home.
Because you knew Tannehill would in the top 10, Ponder a 1st round pick, Jay Cutler a 1st round pick , Aaron Rodgers and Brady Quinn falling that far in the draft?? You pay attention to too much media hype. I'd be willing to bet that EJ Manuel, who's stock has been soaring since the Senior Bowl will probably sneak into the 1st round and rightfully so if he does. Teams fall n love with players that the least expected rounds to say there isn't a QB worth a 1st round selection is absurd.

I'm not saying it won't happen, I'm saying that the value isn't there. None of the guys this year would have been first rounders last year. Manuel may very well sneak into the late 1st round, but would he have ever been picked over a guy like Kaepernick, who himself was a 2nd rounder in his draft....I think not. Because there isn't appropriate value at QB in the draft, teams will look at other options and one of those other options is Alex Smith.

1) What is Alex Smith's trade value? San Francisco 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh said it's "unlikely" his team cuts Smith. The Niners will try to trade him, but Harbaugh said the other option is that the quarterback will remain on the team for 2013. Don't bet on it. One NFL general manager estimated San Francisco could receive a second-round pick for Smith, provided the trade partner believes Smith could be the franchise's quarterback for any length of time. That's pricey, but if a team thinks Smith is the answer for more than one year, that's worth it. Clubs realize there aren't a ton of answers at quarterback in the 2013 NFL Draft. While you'd have to trade for Smith and then draft someone, too, teams know the former 49ers starter won't tear apart the locker room if he ends up getting beat out.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000144193/article/alex-smiths-trade-value-brandon-weedens-ceiling-more-buzz
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:

I disagree. I doubt you would find any football experts that would take Smith over Romo. We will see what the NFL teams really think of Smith when the Niners finally move him. If they get a 2nd rounder than I will stand corrected. I just doubt that and dont think that Smith is really that highly regarded around the league. Hell, he was a FA last year and had little interest.

The Dolphins showed a little interest and they choose to reach for Tannehill in the 1st round.

Originally posted by blizzuntz:
The Dolphins showed a little interest and they choose to reach for Tannehill in the 1st round.

Because neither party took the situation seriously, everyone knew Alex was going back to the 49ers.
  • JD81
  • Veteran
PER JASON LA CANFORA:

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora
The 49ers have expressed to others that a deal for QB Alex Smith is effectively complete. Can't be finalized til league year begins 3/12

so it's not official, both clubs view it at as it's effectively done. I do not know the other team. KC and JAX are 2 teams that make sense
Originally posted by JD81:
PER JASON LA CANFORA:

The 49ers have expressed to others that a deal for QB Alex Smith is effectively complete. Can't be finalized til league year begins 3/12

so it's not official, both clubs view it at as it's effectively done. I do not know the other team. KC and JAX are 2 teams that make sense

Stopped reading there.
Originally posted by blizzuntz:

Because neither party took the situation seriously, everyone knew Alex was going back to the 49ers.

True, but if the Dolphins REALLY wanted him they would have started a bidding war for Alex.
  • Paul
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JD81:
PER JASON LA CANFORA:

Has to be the Chiefs
Share 49ersWebzone