There are 108 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Possible landing spot for Alex Smith

Originally posted by 9erred:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by gold49er2183:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Alex Smith is not a Free Agent. End thread.

No not end thread. He will be traded or cut because I cannot see us slapping him in the face by asking him to restructure and if we do i'm pretty sure he won't.

He will be traded. Obviously he wont stay with the Niners. Alex is not going to be able to choose where he goes and some team will give the Niners a 4th rd pick for him.


The Niners need to pay 1 million dollars to keep Smith to have the opportunity to trade him. Is 1 million dollars worth a 4th round pick?? It also counts against the cap for 2013, which the niners are tight against....

I think the niners need to get at least a third or swap second and third round picks with the other team to make it worth a million dollars. I for one want to give up Alex, pick 64 for pick 33. We get KC's second they get our second and Alex. A win win, the niners get back to back picks, picks 32 and 33.


Do you guys remember what Kolb brought as compensation when he was traded? It was definately worth 1 mil. Through 7 weeks Smith was a top 3 qb in the league with his qb rating. I believe Smith could possibly land us a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round pick. Possibly even a first rounder.
[ Edited by JBrack on Jan 23, 2013 at 10:58 PM ]
Originally posted by vrabbit:
if I was the Browns I'd stick with Weeden, and I think highly of Smith.

I know he wasn't this regimen's pick, but it's too early to give up on him, and IMO he showed a lot of good things his first year

LOL WUT?

Hes older than Smith, and no where near as effective.
getting the 65th pick from KC is the best possible scenario
Originally posted by nickbradley:
getting the 65th pick from KC is the best possible scenario


We can do much, much better with Smith, who is more battle tested and proven.

The Philadelphia Eagles traded Kolb to the Arizona Cardinals for cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and a second-round pick in 2012.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by gold49er2183:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Alex Smith is not a Free Agent. End thread.

No not end thread. He will be traded or cut because I cannot see us slapping him in the face by asking him to restructure and if we do i'm pretty sure he won't.

He will be traded. Obviously he wont stay with the Niners. Alex is not going to be able to choose where he goes and some team will give the Niners a 4th rd pick for him.

With at least 4 teams looking to improve their QB situation, and only one QB worthy of a 1st round pick coming up in the draft, there will be a bidding war for Alex Smith if he is allowed to become a free agent. Hence, one of those 4 teams will offer AT LEAST a 2nd round pick for Alex Smith. Teams will not want to take the chance of engaging in a FA bidding war for Smith and will thus make a trade. The 49ers are in the driver's seat on this one and will get a nice package for Smith.
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by gold49er2183:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Alex Smith is not a Free Agent. End thread.

No not end thread. He will be traded or cut because I cannot see us slapping him in the face by asking him to restructure and if we do i'm pretty sure he won't.

He will be traded. Obviously he wont stay with the Niners. Alex is not going to be able to choose where he goes and some team will give the Niners a 4th rd pick for him.

With at least 4 teams looking to improve their QB situation, and only one QB worthy of a 1st round pick coming up in the draft, there will be a bidding war for Alex Smith if he is allowed to become a free agent. Hence, one of those 4 teams will offer AT LEAST a 2nd round pick for Alex Smith. Teams will not want to take the chance of engaging in a FA bidding war for Smith and will thus make a trade. The 49ers are in the driver's seat on this one and will get a nice package for Smith.

Want to bet? I say 3rd at the highest. I like the AT LEAST 2nd rd comment like you actually think its possible that a team might give up a first for Alex.
if we can get the 34th pick from KC that would be ideal!
Originally posted by GEEK:
First, let's take a look at the QBs that led their teams to the playoffs this past season:

- Over 80% of the playoff teams originally drafted their QBs; Manning and Schaub were acquired via free agency and trade, respectively.

- 50% of the playoff teams' staring QBs have 3 or less years of experience in the NFL.

- Of these six, 3 of them were picked AFTER the 1st round.

I think what we are going to see is new head coaches are going to pick "their guy" in the draft instead of giving up a 3rd or 4th round pick for a veteran QB like Matt Flynn or Alex Smith. Both of them became backups after getting unseated by young QB prospects that were 2nd-3rd round picks.

But, there are a few teams that have tried and failed in finding the right QB - Chiefs, Cardinals, Browns, and Jaguars. And there's one team that should be looking for an upgrade at QB - Vikings.

Andy Reid, Bruce Arians, and Leslie Frazier are three head coaches that need smart QBs that can help usher their teams to the next level.

Here's how I'd rank the best fit for Alex Smith:

1. Cardinals
- If you bolster their offensive line, Alex Smith will be successful and have plenty of weapons to utilize in Arizona. Floyd and Fitz could become the next Falcons White and Jones combo. Great decision making skills and accurate short and medium range throws, Smith could thrive under Arians system.

But would the 49ers trade him to a division rival? Maybe for a 2nd round pick at the least.

2. Vikings
- Add some weapons at WR, and you'll have a fully functioning offense for Alex Smith to step in and succeed. More of a power offense, the Vikings still run a variation of the WCO - Bill Musgrave has 49ers ties.

But Mike Singletary is very close to Leslie Frazier, and he shat on him during and after his tenure with the 49ers.

3. Chiefs
- They may be losing some key pieces this offseason, and who knows what their mental state will be after the death of one of their teammates. Andy Reid needs a smart QB behind center - McNaab and Vick took too many risks and made too many dumb mistakes. I don't think they'll be playoff bound in a year, but year 2 or year 3, they should be competitive.

Prediction: Chiefs select BPA and not QB in the draft, and trade for Alex Smith.

I've been saying all along KC is the most likely and also best scenario

they can either franchise/resign Albert or draft Joeckel. They so do not need to reach for a QB at #1 overall.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Originally posted by vrabbit:
if I was the Browns I'd stick with Weeden, and I think highly of Smith.

I know he wasn't this regimen's pick, but it's too early to give up on him, and IMO he showed a lot of good things his first year

LOL WUT?

Hes older than Smith, and no where near as effective.

few months older, and way too early to give up on the kid. No s**t Alex is more effective, but IMO it's too soon to give up on a huge investment like him
Originally posted by vrabbit:
I've been saying all along KC is the most likely and also best scenario

they can either franchise/resign Albert or draft Joeckel. They so do not need to reach for a QB at #1 overall.

If KC gives us their 3rd that would be a great deal for us.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by vrabbit:
I've been saying all along KC is the most likely and also best scenario

they can either franchise/resign Albert or draft Joeckel. They so do not need to reach for a QB at #1 overall.

If KC gives us their 3rd that would be a great deal for us.

I think a 3rd might be possible depending on how much they value Alex, but a 4th (from the Chiefs) wouldn't be a bad deal either
Originally posted by JBrack:
Originally posted by nickbradley:
getting the 65th pick from KC is the best possible scenario


We can do much, much better with Smith, who is more battle tested and proven.

The Philadelphia Eagles traded Kolb to the Arizona Cardinals for cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and a second-round pick in 2012.

And with that failure, teams wont be as apt to throw $$ for a mid-level starter. I agree with nickbradley, that the 3rd round pick from KC makes sense, for both the 49ers, the Chiefs, and Alex. Alex goes in as the starter and has a legit coach in Andy Reid, and we get essentially a late 2nd round pick.
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by gold49er2183:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Alex Smith is not a Free Agent. End thread.

No not end thread. He will be traded or cut because I cannot see us slapping him in the face by asking him to restructure and if we do i'm pretty sure he won't.

He will be traded. Obviously he wont stay with the Niners. Alex is not going to be able to choose where he goes and some team will give the Niners a 4th rd pick for him.

With at least 4 teams looking to improve their QB situation, and only one QB worthy of a 1st round pick coming up in the draft, there will be a bidding war for Alex Smith if he is allowed to become a free agent. Hence, one of those 4 teams will offer AT LEAST a 2nd round pick for Alex Smith. Teams will not want to take the chance of engaging in a FA bidding war for Smith and will thus make a trade. The 49ers are in the driver's seat on this one and will get a nice package for Smith.

Some very different opinions on Smith's value on this board alone. Would you put him in the Matt Schaub category of starters? Because I believe Schaub was traded for a 2nd rounder.

Incidentally, who do think is most likely to push for him? I originally thought the Jets, but they are having huge cap issues. Possibly Kansas City? Philly? Arizona?
[ Edited by bzborow1 on Jan 24, 2013 at 4:09 PM ]
I think the Vikings are the best fit for him. They're pretty good all around, but if they could bring in Alex, draft/sign just a couple of guys on D, they'd be instantly competitors. They currently are hoping for Ponder to become who Alex is.

I seriously doubt it it would happen, but Harvin and the front office/coaching staff have some issues. They haven't been getting along and I'd love it if we could get Percy out of a deal.

Also, I know everyone's first thought will be dismissive as they think of the Vikes last game where Webb looked bad, but I don't think it'd be out of the question to throw Webb in on a deal as a backup QB. It'd be nice to have someone backing up Kap that also has the physical ability to keep the schemes & gameplan the same if/when Kap has to miss time.
Originally posted by mug0mug:
I think the Vikings are the best fit for him. They're pretty good all around, but if they could bring in Alex, draft/sign just a couple of guys on D, they'd be instantly competitors. They currently are hoping for Ponder to become who Alex is.

I seriously doubt it it would happen, but Harvin and the front office/coaching staff have some issues. They haven't been getting along and I'd love it if we could get Percy out of a deal.

Also, I know everyone's first thought will be dismissive as they think of the Vikes last game where Webb looked bad, but I don't think it'd be out of the question to throw Webb in on a deal as a backup QB. It'd be nice to have someone backing up Kap that also has the physical ability to keep the schemes & gameplan the same if/when Kap has to miss time.