There are 197 users in the forums

Possible landing spot for Alex Smith

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Kolohe:
The 49er fan in me wants to get something in return for Smith, but as a fan of Smith I hope the 9ers cut him loose so he can choose his own team.

Yeah, this is how I feel. Fine with not getting a thing, really... but I have never really been drawn to greed anyway.
Cutting him loose WON'T happen.

Football is still a business and it's an absol;utely terrible business decision to let him walk. Reality check - Baalke is WAYY to smart - we'll come out with something good. That said, defining "good' is really subjective.

A straight up trade isn't out of the question.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Originally posted by bigmur49:
I am surprised the Bills haven't come up more in conversation. I think with their half decent line, two really good running backs and an incumbent who has gotta go, that Smith might make some sense.

Then Marrone can draft his guy out of Syracuse, have Smith as the transition, then do the same thing Harbaugh did halfway through year 2

Evidently, the Bills were asking coaching candidates what they thought about Alex during the interview process. That could be good or bad, but good seems more likely.

I'm really liking the Bills option, either pick up a draft or trade for one of their many D linemen they have.

Cutting him is foolstalk at this point.
So where in there states that his value is 2nd or 3rd round??

Also wanna bet he won't be traded for a 2nd or 3rd round pick??

Sure, I'd offer a 30 day ban bet but you're a mod so that kind of screws things up somewhat.

Bottomline, the 49ers cannot possibly get better value for Alex at anytime other than this year, the free agent market is bone dry, the draft is weak, there's not a single QB that looks like they are capable of being an immediate starter. Guys can talk about trade markets and all that, but the reality of the situation is that these GM's will look at the possibility of starting a rookie who isn't ready to go from Day 1, or taking a flyer on a scrub veteran that will only piss off the fan base....and as a result, they will up the ante and do what it takes to secure a legitimate starting QB such as Alex.

It's all a game right now, just as the 49ers are talking tough about not having to cut Alex, other teams are bluffing about not being interested or having plenty of other options at QB, when in reality, they are, and they don't. People on here snickered when Jed York talked about holding on to Alex, a definite bluff, but yet some are willing to accept at face value what other teams are communicating through various sources, no more less of a bluff than what York stated.

Eventually the compensation will fall into a range where both parties end up feeling that the transaction will be worthwhile and beneficial to both. Ultimately, I see a late 2nd to mid 3rd round pick for Alex and possibly more.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 14, 2013 at 8:17 PM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Cutting him loose WON'T happen.

Football is still a business and it's an absol;utely terrible business decision to let him walk. Reality check - Baalke is WAYY to smart - we'll come out with something good. That said, defining "good' is really subjective.

A straight up trade isn't out of the question.

Yes it may or may not happen. One thing is for sure his salary is a huge part of any trade, so releasing him still could happen. And I'd be pretty upset if Smith stayed, no, not because I don't want him here, but because his willingness to accept a back up role. I'm speaking in reference to Kevin Lynch' article on the home page.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
So where in there states that his value is 2nd or 3rd round??

Also wanna bet he won't be traded for a 2nd or 3rd round pick??

Sure, I'd offer a 30 day ban bet but you're a mod so that kind of screws things up somewhat.

Bottomline, the 49ers cannot possibly get better value for Alex at anytime other than this year, the free agent market is bone dry, the draft is weak, there's not a single QB that looks like they are capable of being an immediate starter. Guys can talk about trade markets and all that, but the reality of the situation is that these GM's will look at the possibility of starting a rookie who isn't ready to go from Day 1, or taking a flyer on a scrub veteran that will only piss off the fan base....and as a result, they will up the ante and do what it takes to secure a legitimate starting QB such as Alex.

It's all a game right now, just as the 49ers are talking tough about not having to cut Alex, other teams are bluffing about not being interested or having plenty of other options at QB, when in reality, they are, and they don't. People on here snickered when Jed York talked about holding on to Alex, a definite bluff, but yet some are willing to accept at face value what other teams are communicating through various sources, no more less of a bluff than what York stated.

Eventually the compensation will fall into a range where both parties end up feeling that the transaction will be worthwhile and beneficial to both. Ultimately, I see a late 2nd to mid 3rd round pick for Alex and possibly more.

But if your a GM and your team NEEDS a QB, do you spend a 2nd round pick on a QB and not take a QB in the 1st round? Or do you take a QB in the 1st round and trade for Smith, spend a 2nd round pick and devote pretty much the first day of the draft on your QB situation. Not to mention taking over Smith's 7.5 mil salary and tying a few more mil your 1st round QB, not a smart decision if you ask me. Now if you get Smith for a 4-7th round pick you can still, fill holes without devoting the first day to the QB position. What do you think NFL GM's will do, wait nevermind you already think NFL GM's and teams are bluffing with Smith, well you may be right, but a bluff that isn't worth a 2nd or 3rd round pick, I'm will to bet that.

Still waiting for you to show me a link where the above mentioned put Smith's value at a 2nd or 3rd round pick.
Whether we trade him or cut him, Alex must go. His presence on this roster will only serve a distraction for the players. Worse, imagine if Kaep goes down and Alex plays well ? Now you have another QB controversy brewing even though JH will likely stick with Kaep.

As decent a guy as Alex Smith is, it's not fair to him OR the team to keep him on the roster.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by HudsonValley:
Whether we trade him or cut him, Alex must go. His presence on this roster will only serve a distraction for the players. Worse, imagine if Kaep goes down and Alex plays well ? Now you have another QB controversy brewing even though JH will likely stick with Kaep.

As decent a guy as Alex Smith is, it's not fair to him OR the team to keep him on the roster.

But, you always want a back up to do go, especially if hes a young QB. Now if you didn't want a QB controversy then you bring in washed up vets such as David Carr or a Trent Dilfer. But yah I get what your saying.
But if your a GM and your team NEEDS a QB, do you spend a 2nd round pick on a QB and not take a QB in the 1st round? Or do you take a QB in the 1st round and trade for Smith, spend a 2nd round pick and devote pretty much the first day of the draft on your QB situation. Not to mention taking over Smith's 7.5 mil salary and tying a few more mil your 1st round QB, not a smart decision if you ask me. Now if you get Smith for a 4-7th round pick you can still, fill holes without devoting the first day to the QB position. What do you think NFL GM's will do, wait nevermind you already think NFL GM's and teams are bluffing with Smith, well you may be right, but a bluff that isn't worth a 2nd or 3rd round pick, I'm will to bet that.

Still waiting for you to show me a link where the above mentioned put Smith's value at a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

The teams who need QB's generally have very early picks, I don't see any QB, even Geno Smith, who is worth an early pick at this point. If I'm a GM, I take the best player available in the 1st round, or trade down, take my QB in the 2nd round, trade a 3rd and a future pick based on performance for Alex, now I have a top draft pick, a rookie QB and a veteran who can take the reins for a couple seasons while the rookie develops. Now if Alex plays very well, I give up a higher pick in the next draft, but then again, I've got a veteran QB doing damn well, so notasinglef$$kwasgiventhatday.jpg

Pat Kirwan and Peter King both talked about 2nd round value for Alex Smith on SIRIUS Radio based on team executives they had communicated with. If Tebow was had for multiple picks, including a 4th rounder, its not crazy to think Alex Smith would draw more as an established starting QB.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 14, 2013 at 9:38 PM ]

I don't know if this is from a previous conversation or what, but I don't know why that idea is being discussed.

If there isn't a very good draft pool for QBs, why would you waste a first rounder on a QB when the drop off between rounds is going to be significantly less than a year with a deep pool of talent? If you're a GM and you NEED a QB, you evaluate this draft class, project next years draft class, and determine what you want to do at the QB position.

You don't draft a QB with your #1 pick just because you need a QB... If you can make a decent trade and pick up a vet who still has a five year run left, you don't have to draft an impact QB right away. You can build your team with Smith and let him mentor the guy you want to mold. The only reason people buy into the whole "Smith's too expensive" argument is because WE can't afford him. He's a backup on this team, but $8 million is cheap for a starting QB. That's called an investment. Any of the teams looking for a QB this year will see it that way. All eyes are on Smith this offseason.

Originally posted by mkmasn:
I don't know if this is from a previous conversation or what, but I don't know why that idea is being discussed.

If there isn't a very good draft pool for QBs, why would you waste a first rounder on a QB when the drop off between rounds is going to be significantly less than a year with a deep pool of talent? If you're a GM and you NEED a QB, you evaluate this draft class, project next years draft class, and determine what you want to do at the QB position.

You don't draft a QB with your #1 pick just because you need a QB... If you can make a decent trade and pick up a vet who still has a five year run left, you don't have to draft an impact QB right away. You can build your team with Smith and let him mentor the guy you want to mold. The only reason people buy into the whole "Smith's too expensive" argument is because WE can't afford him. He's a backup on this team, but $8 million is cheap for a starting QB. That's called an investment. Any of the teams looking for a QB this year will see it that way. All eyes are on Smith this offseason.

This, Alex has a dirt cheap salary for a guy with a 104 rating and a completion percentage oof 70%. You could add a rookie and still only have $10-11 mill tied up at the QB position, not bad at all.
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
we aint getting s**t for him. teams know we gonna release him. just cut his s**tty ass.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Amir:
we aint getting s**t for him. teams know we gonna release him. just cut his s**tty ass.

I have never thought the Niners would get a 2nd rd pick for Alex and simply laughed at the notion of getting a first. 3rd Round is the best they are going to get and it could fall to 4th in my opinion. I doubt it goes lower than that though
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
I have never thought the Niners would get a 2nd rd pick for Alex and simply laughed at the notion of getting a first. 3rd Round is the best they are going to get and it could fall to 4th in my opinion. I doubt it goes lower than that though

We might get a 2nd but it might be a performance driven trade
Share 49ersWebzone