LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 294 users in the forums

What makes John Harbaugh a great coach?

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
He has been to 3 AFC title games in 5 seasons (8 playoff wins, 54 regular season wins)

We know Jim is a QB guru and offensive master.

John was a Special Teams coach and defensive back coach pretty much all of his coaching career. Seems to come from the defensive side of the ball.

Never really heard much if he helps with game planing or drawing up plays or if he leaves that up to his position coaches.
[ Edited by Jcool on Jan 22, 2013 at 10:29 AM ]
Probably can be better answer on a Ravens message board. Whatever he's doing he's getting it done.
I think it was last year during the Thanksgiving game Mike Mayock talked about how he never seen a guy more prepared to be a head coach. He was a ST coach but Mike said he had a foot or 2 foot thick (can't remember) binder with everything in it from x's and o's to a diet regimen plan for players. He was preparing to be a head coach but he probably learned a ton from his dad. Just like how Jim as a player at the end of his career would sit in on special teams meetings to learn. John's a great guy... very smart, he's a player's coach but also knows his x's and o's. Not sure how much he dabbles on the offensive side of the ball but ST and D I am sure he still has a say. He probably knows offenses as well... just not sure how well.

Side note but as for Jim you take his dad who's been a coach for 40-50 years....mix in Bo Schembechler... then take a QB who was a student of the game who late in his career starts sitting in on coaches meetings and collecting knowledge from them... then you mix Bill Walsh's knowledge in there.... That spells a possible legendary coach in his own right. It's like the perfect storm.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Jan 22, 2013 at 11:33 AM ]
He has Harbaugh blood running through his veins.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Gore_21:
I think it was last year during the Thanksgiving game Mike Mayock talked about how he never seen a guy more prepared to be a head coach. He was a ST coach but Mike said he had a foot or 2 foot thick (can't remember) binder with everything in it from x's and o's to a diet regimen plan for players. He was preparing to be a head coach but he probably learned a ton from his dad. Just like how Jim as a player at the end of his career would sit in on special teams meetings to learn. John's a great guy... very smart, he's a player's coach but also knows his x's and o's. Not sure how much he dabbles on the offensive side of the ball but ST and D I am sure he still has a say. He probably knows offenses as well... just not sure how well.

Side note but as for Jim you take his dad who's been a coach for 40-50 years....mix in Bo Schembechler... then take a QB who was a student of the game who late in his career starts sitting in on coaches meetings and collecting knowledge from them... then you mix Bill Walsh's knowledge in there.... That spells a possible legendary coach in his own right. It's like the perfect storm.

I do remember that now that you brought it up about the binder and being super prepared.
John has a much better bedside manner than Jim. He handles the press like a champ. I swear if he ever wanted to run for public office some day, he'd have a very good chance of doing well for himself.
bc he is related to our coach
Originally posted by TexasGuero49:

this.
Originally posted by zillabeast:
John has a much better bedside manner than Jim. He handles the press like a champ. I swear if he ever wanted to run for public office some day, he'd have a very good chance of doing well for himself.

I think Jim is how he is with the media because he had to deal with them and all their scrutiny as QB in the nfl for 15 years. That'll put a lot of eff you in you.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

I think Jim is how he is with the media because he had to deal with them and all their scrutiny as QB in the nfl for 15 years. That'll put a lot of eff you in you.

Yeah, when you watch his TV appearances and commercials you can tell he's really forcing it in those too. It's like his agent set up all these great gigs he wasn't too happy about doing, but sucked it up for the paycheck.

John Harbaugh is a player's coach; well respected by his team. Not an Xs and Os guy. Much less intense than Jim.
Originally posted by YungBird:
Originally posted by TexasGuero49:

this.

and only this.
  • titan
  • Veteran
He wins and his team responds to his coaching.

Na, I just think Jim doesn't give a f**k about being politically correct like everyone else does. He doesn't care what anyone, except his players, think of him.
He just doesn't care at all and it shows, the guy where's the same shirt and pants cause he doesn't care what other people think about what he's wearing, he doesn't care about being voted best Dressed Man like Mike Nolan was. I kinda like that about him.
To be fair, a lot of the X's and O's should be credited to the coordinators. As much of a wiz people say Harbaugh is, I want to say a huge chunk of that goes to Roman, Fangio, Seely, and our other coaches.

However, the head coach has veto power over anything the coordinators do, and decide the overall process. The head coach helps create and ultimately approves everything. Likewise, they are responsible for everything that goes on.

I don't know a lot about John Harbaugh, but from what people say is that he's very well-prepared, is a great motivator, and (according to Jim) has equally good ability coaching all three phases of the game. I want to say that the last one, where he can coach both all three phases, is important. He understands everything and can manage the game much more efficiently.

Take Mike Singletary, for example. He knows a lot about defense, I'm sure, but when it came to the offensive side, he was clueless. Even though he let his coordinators handle everything, he still should've known what adjustments had to be made when it came time to fix things.

When you look at John Harbaugh, he knew that he needed to change things at the offensive coordinator position and he did. He couldn't have done that if he didn't have a strong understanding of the offensive phase of the game.

From what I read and hear, it sounds like both Jim and John are great football minds, but John is a bit stronger when it comes to X's and O's. However, I like to think that Jim is a better motivator and has a better "feel" of the game, having played the game at a high level for a very long time.
Share 49ersWebzone