LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 271 users in the forums

Why does Ray lewis get a pass on being super religious but Tebow was a lightning rod

Shop 49ers game tickets
Ray isn't getting a pass. Every other guy will bring up the murder case, and every other reporter and media outlet is tired of his inst-sermons.

The NFL is full of religious God loving people

deal with it.
Ray Lewis is a fraud and had maybe the greatest image change via media in sports history.

This dude was in a murder case that had MANY holes in it. They still haven't found the suit he was wearing that night
Originally posted by titan:
My point is the sensitivity when a comment is done to a black athlete by a commentator in this case a white commentator. Do you think what Limbaugh said was racist? I don't think so,! Do I agree with what he said? No cause I think DM is a good QB. So if you really think that comment he made was enough to get him fired them your just a pretty sensitive person. But here's a link for you it's not a real big deal in my opinion, but I seen people fired for less or equal to the same context, obviously! Around 3 min mark if you don't want to pay attention to the conversation and just get the snippets.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4LGfD5jM1Tc

So we're clear:

There's nothing at all racist about saying that people only want to see someone succeed because they are of a certain race?

Wow. We clearly disagree there but I'm cool with that. Nothing else to say about it.

Onto your videos:

1) Saying someone is a big selling point to their respective race in and of itself is not racist. In fact, I would think that's rather obvious.

Which was really all Rob Parker said in that clip.

However, I fully acknowledge that what he said about RG3 is indeed racist. Which would prove him to be the self-hating clown that I thought he was.

2) Then second vid skirts the line but I do not think that it was overtly racist (your sensitivities may vary).

I can see how someone (Asians in particular) could be offended by this and that is more than reason enough for them to not joke around the way they did. I'm sure the reporters (if we can even call them that) are intelligent to know full well what they were doing at the time.

Still, I can't help but notice the irony that you defend Limbaugh's comments as innocent, then turn around and provide a clip from Fox News -- one of his biggest affiliates and supporters -- as proof of bigotry against minorities on the media.

I suspect you don't realize that you didn't help his case at all.
Originally posted by sacniner:
Ray Lewis is a fraud and had maybe the greatest image change via media in sports history.

This dude was in a murder case that had MANY holes in it. They still haven't found the suit he was wearing that night

In fairness, they also didn't find any evidence (whatsoever) that implicates him in the actual murders.

Don't get me wrong, I'm quite sure he made it a priority to get rid of that suit as fast as humanly possible but use your brain for a second. If you're involved in a street brawl (he admitted he was), there's literally 100 different ways blood could find its way onto your clothes.

Doesn't mean he killed anyone.
Originally posted by modninerfan:
cuz he's black

Originally posted by sdholland80:
Because Tebow is white, and Ray Lewis is black. You cant critizise Black people,because you will be labeled a racist.

Originally posted by Niners99:
Bingo!

Black people are allowed to be super religious, as if its cultural. People are afraid to say anything. When white people do it, theres no politically correct barrier, and it becomes target practice.

If Tim Tebow was on his knees at the 50 shedding tears, hands and eyes up to the sky praising God for his career, hed be ripped apart.
Shut the F**k UP!!!!! R U black? black and I thinki Ray Lewis is acting like a fool. What media outlet critizised Tebow? Tebow was the most talked about player for 2years and he sucked. Black or white the media is not going to critizise someone for being religious.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Im just glad that, for once, the white man is getting the short end of the stick.

Yes - clear indication of meaningful progress in race relations
''The wetter a mans' cheeks ,

the dryer my vagina.''

-Whitney Cummings
Because Tebow is ACTUALLY religious. And the public hates religion on TV.

I think people are just kind of rolling their eyes at Lewis (behind his back of course.... the dude's a killer). It's more like he's mocking religion.... which apparently is ok.
Lewis killed a man and has great street creed..... No i love Ray Lewis. IMO One thinks that he's a quarterback when he's an H-Back.
Originally posted by baltien:

In fairness, they also didn't find any evidence (whatsoever) that implicates him in the actual murders.

Don't get me wrong, I'm quite sure he made it a priority to get rid of that suit as fast as humanly possible but use your brain for a second. If you're involved in a street brawl (he admitted he was), there's literally 100 different ways blood could find its way onto your clothes.

Doesn't mean he killed anyone.

That is just one hole in the story. There are others, but I really don't want to get into it... I'm not saying he is guilty nor innocent. I don't know. I just can't think of anyone who had this drastic of an image change. I guess he deserves props for being totally clear of any wrongdoing after that case... lastly, the families of the victims may have a different take one whether or not he was involved in killing anyone.

An announcer goes off on a rant about two players pushing religion in all their interviews, their responses are below...

Tim Tebow: "Aww shucks, thats just your opinion and I respect that and will keep you in my prayers"

Ray Lewis: "What?.... I'll kill you, you racist motherf@#*@!"

Thats why... aside from the obvious fact of one being a hall of famer and getting a pass while the other pretends to be a QB.
  • titan
  • Veteran
My point is the sensitivity when a comment is done to a black athlete by a commentator in this case a white commentator. Do you think what Limbaugh said was racist? I don't think so,! Do I agree with what he said? No cause I think DM is a good QB. So if you really think that comment he made was enough to get him fired them your just a pretty sensitive person. But here's a link for you it's not a real big deal in my opinion, but I seen people fired for less or equal to the same context, obviously! Around 3 min mark if you don't want to pay attention to the conversation and just get the snippets.

So we're clear:

There's nothing at all racist about saying that people only want to see someone succeed because they are of a certain race?

Wow. We clearly disagree there but I'm cool with that. Nothing else to say about it.

Onto your videos:

1) Saying someone is a big selling point to their respective race in and of itself is not racist. In fact, I would think that's rather obvious.

However, I fully acknowledge that what he said about RG3 is indeed racist. Which would prove him to be the self-hating clown that I thought he was.

2) Then second vid skirts the line but I do not think that it was overtly racist (your sensitivities may vary).

I can see how someone (Asians in particular) could be offended by this and that is more than reason enough for them to not joke around the way they did. I'm sure the reporters (if we can even call them that) are intelligent to know full well what they were doing at the time.

Still, I can't help but notice the irony that you defend Limbaugh's comments as innocent, then turn around and provide a clip from Fox News -- one of his biggest affiliates and supporters -- as proof of bigotry against minorities on the media.

So we're clear:

Onto your videos:

I really am not offended with comments or care about Limbaugh or what network he's affiliated with. I am just trying to point out the sensitivy on commenting on certain race or ethnic group. In your eyes Limbaugh is guilty as charged!Racist beyond belief and the entire network that employs him too! Because he stated they want to see a black QB succeed, but in his eyes is average at best. The result....FIRED! First take commentator says Jeremy Lin is overrated. He is given a contract cause he is Asian and marketable. In your views that's a good marketing strategy!

I made my point!
That is just one hole in the story. There are others, but I really don't want to get into it... I'm not saying he is guilty nor innocent. I don't know. I just can't think of anyone who had this drastic of an image change. I guess he deserves props for being totally clear of any wrongdoing after that case... lastly, the families of the victims may have a different take one whether or not he was involved in killing anyone.

Well, it doesn't matter what the families think. If they weren't there or can otherwise provide any proof that he did do it, that's a moot point. For that matter, we're wasting electricity talking about it here because he beat the case (the murder rap at least), and nothing anyone says will change that.

I was just pointing out that in the case there was absolutely nothing that PROVED his guilt, and that is why he got off on a lesser charge. You guys are talking like he was on camera cutting dudes up like some psycho but walked because he's famous, no one wanted to offend black people, or some other nonsense. Thus, anyone calling him a "murderer" is speaking out of hatred and doesn't have a grasp of the facts.

Crazy thought: What if the murder charge didn't stick because he really didn't do it?

Again, not everything is a conspiracy.
But the real question here is who would you take Ray Lewis or Patrick Willis?
I really am not offended with comments or care about Limbaugh or what network he's affiliated with. I am just trying to point out the sensitivy on commenting on certain race or ethnic group. In your eyes Limbaugh is guilty as charged!Racist beyond belief and the entire network that employs him too! Because he stated they want to see a black QB succeed, but in his eyes is average at best. The result....FIRED! First take commentator says Jeremy Lin is overrated. He is given a contract cause he is Asian and marketable. In your views that's a good marketing strategy!

I made my point!

Sigh.

Last response to you because you don't even understand what you're reading let alone able to intelligently discuss it.

There is a giant, Grand Canyon sized difference between saying the media only wants to see McNabb and black coaches succeed because of their color, and acknowledging that someone's race plays a part in how they're marketed.

Case in point:

I'll use LeBron James as an example.

Do you think it's by coincidence that his image is plastered all over shoe stores in urban neighborhoods? Have you noticed that by comparison you don't see as many of his advertisements in more rural areas?

Why? Because kids in said urban areas (many of them black) are more likely to buy his overpriced and often hideous shoes. Nike knows this, and for that reason will advertise his clothing/show line more prominently in those markets.

Same reason why McDonald's commercials in urban neighborhoods feature more black people. And in Hispanic markets the advertising is often done in Spanish.

It's called "targeted advertising" and is hardly a new concept.

Google it.

Limbaugh's comment was racist because he removed any possibility of there being a valid reason why those that support McNabb do so.

Never mind that he led his team to multiple NFC Championship appearances. Never mind that he was probably the best dual-threat QB in the game at the time. Never mind that statistically he ranked very highly in comparison to his peers.

Nope, people couldn't possibly like him because of any of that.

It had to be because he's black.
Share 49ersWebzone