LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 235 users in the forums

NaVorro Bowman has retired

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
Originally posted by Disp:
I don't think it was on Bowman, but the call was ridiculous and led to their field goal. The runner (think it was MJD) was sweeping to the outside and being tackled for a loss, but he barely got away from the first 49ers defender. His helmet got ripped off in the process, so the play should've been called dead, but they let it go. Next Niners defender comes up a second later and does just a regular tackle that hits him in the shoulder, and they called helmet to helmet. So it was crap because the play should've been called dead once the helmet came off, and it was even worse because the Niners defender didn't come close to hitting his helmet.

Skuta was the dude that hit him first. He did make contact helmet to helmet, but dude is a runner, so there should've been no flag. The announcers thought they called it on McDonald after the helmet came off, but they were confused. They called it on Skuta for the initial contact.

Exactly right, announcers were tripping all over themselves when it was pretty clear penalty was not for the hit after dude's helmet came off, it was for the initial hit while said helmet was still on.
Originally posted by DelCed2486:
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
Originally posted by Disp:
I don't think it was on Bowman, but the call was ridiculous and led to their field goal. The runner (think it was MJD) was sweeping to the outside and being tackled for a loss, but he barely got away from the first 49ers defender. His helmet got ripped off in the process, so the play should've been called dead, but they let it go. Next Niners defender comes up a second later and does just a regular tackle that hits him in the shoulder, and they called helmet to helmet. So it was crap because the play should've been called dead once the helmet came off, and it was even worse because the Niners defender didn't come close to hitting his helmet.

Skuta was the dude that hit him first. He did make contact helmet to helmet, but dude is a runner, so there should've been no flag. The announcers thought they called it on McDonald after the helmet came off, but they were confused. They called it on Skuta for the initial contact.

Exactly right, announcers were tripping all over themselves when it was pretty clear penalty was not for the hit after dude's helmet came off, it was for the initial hit while said helmet was still on.

Bad officiating all around on that play.
Bumping up an older thread for this. I think the tone was set yesterday by Bowman on the first Hawk series. Chasing down Wilson on 3rd down and jarring the ball loose was INCREDIBLE. He got there so fast that I think Wilson was shocked, and could not even get the ball tucked away. For my money, this guy is the best linebacker in the NFL. He consistently has double digit tackles game after game. He can rush the passer, and he is as fast as most skill players on the opposing offense. It is hard to imagine that he could play any better. And I think it is obvious now that he has surpassed Willis, or that Willis has regressed some.
"Let's eat "
Bowman was amazing yesterday.
Bowman has emerged as the best at his position, even eclipsing Willis, IMHO. He's Superman out there...seemingly is everywhere. I'd like to see Fangio throw in a few blitzes each game for him, though. There were times, especially on 3rd down where we just didn't get any pressure on Wilson. He converted most of 'em.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Bowman has emerged as the best at his position, even eclipsing Willis, IMHO. He's Superman out there...seemingly is everywhere. I'd like to see Fangio throw in a few blitzes each game for him, though. There were times, especially on 3rd down where we just didn't get any pressure on Wilson. He converted most of 'em.

Bowman - All around best LB.

Willis - Close 2nd, best leader.

Brooks - The Incredible Hulk in a Niner uni

A.Smith - Freak of nature, likes the booze.
[ Edited by VaBeachNiner on Dec 9, 2013 at 11:12 AM ]
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Bowman - All around best LB.

Willis - Close 2nd, best leader.

Brooks - The Incredible Hulk in a Niner uni

A.Smith - Freak of nature, likes the booze.

What's crazy is that bowman and brooks have both been used a dedicated passrushers and been effective.

I wonder how much of that is skill versus "where the hell did that come from" smoke and mirrors.
Willis and Bowman are 1 and 1A. There is no particular order and to say one is better than the other is ridiculous IMO when they have such different assignments from one game to the next. They are both middle linebackers yes, but their jobs are not always the same. In fact most of the time their responsibilities are quite different from one game to the next.

Willis has NOT regressed either. We have the best ILB's in the league. A case could be made for Kuechly but I'm not sure I could see him having as much success in a 3-4 alignment. He's perfect for a 4-3 base alignment that plays predominately zone and while I believe he'd be good in any scheme I question if he'd be AS good. That cannot be said of Willis and Bowman. Both those guys could play and dominate in any scheme.
Originally posted by NinerG94:
Willis and Bowman are 1 and 1A. There is no particular order and to say one is better than the other is ridiculous IMO when they have such different assignments from one game to the next. They are both middle linebackers yes, but their jobs are not always the same. In fact most of the time their responsibilities are quite different from one game to the next.

Willis has NOT regressed either. We have the best ILB's in the league. A case could be made for Kuechly but I'm not sure I could see him having as much success in a 3-4 alignment. He's perfect for a 4-3 base alignment that plays predominately zone and while I believe he'd be good in any scheme I question if he'd be AS good. That cannot be said of Willis and Bowman. Both those guys could play and dominate in any scheme.
He is not looking slow to you? He was burned easily by the TE Willson yesterday, and I mean easily. Maybe he is dinged, or still feeling the effects from the injury earlier this year? I think Bowman is clearly better right now, regardless of assignment.

Originally posted by Bluesbro:
He is not looking slow to you? He was burned easily by the TE Willson yesterday, and I mean easily. Maybe he is dinged, or still feeling the effects from the injury earlier this year? I think Bowman is clearly better right now, regardless of assignment.

It's so hard to say what is being asked of them.

Willis got burned...but that was a really well drawn up play made to abuse a linebacker with no help (could have been any linebacker)

I agree though for the last two years really...bowman has just looked fresher...more consistent.

There is no doubt they steal big plays from each other.On a team with out the other I am sure either of them would be able to stat pad like a beast.

They dropped back into a Zone Coverage, that's why Carlos was out of position too.
  • thl408
Originally posted by xfactor67:

They dropped back into a Zone Coverage, that's why Carlos was out of position too.

On the Willson TD catch, I think Willis bit too hard on the play fake. You can see he had an "oh s**t" moment once the play fake was completed.

There was another big catch by Willson (1st play of 2nd quarter). Willis gave Willson an inside release and was behind the play from the get go. That's a tough assignment for any ILB trying to run with a TE on a deep crossing route.

Bowman was badass, again. Had that fumble he cause stayed in bounds...it would have been another FG for the 49ers.

He knew exactly what Russell was going to do and b-lined for him. Dude is a monster. Statement play that set the tone for the game.
[ Edited by OregonNiner87 on Dec 9, 2013 at 4:00 PM ]
Originally posted by OregonNiner87:

He knew exactly what Russell was going to do and b-lined for him. Dude is a monster. Statement play that set the tone for the game.

yea that was scary and surprising. Wilson looked like he didn't even know what was going on. lol
Share 49ersWebzone