There are 157 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The Rooney Rule

i hate this rule. Im hispanic but making teams have a minority coach is ridiculous. Teams pick the best guy for the job and i highly doubt that race comes in question when choosing a HC. lovie smith was fired because he sunk a highly talented team, not because he was black. A smart man once said that to stop discrimination we must stop discriminating on race. we are all one kind of people and i think we are all tolerable enough to accept to move on from this whole affirmative action. we need to stop thinking of people as black, white, or brown and start thinking of each other as one race
There are 3 up and coming college coaches that will be getting NFL calls next year.

David Shaw - HC of Stanford. NFL experience. Coached under John Gruden, Brian Billick and Jim Harbaugh.

Charlie Strong - HC of Louisville. Learned under Lou Holtz and Urban Meyer.

Kevin Sumlin - HC of Texas A&M. Learned under RC Slocum, Mike Price, Dennis Erickson, and Bob Stoops.

Willie Taggert - HC of South Florida. Learned under Jack and Jim Harbaugh. Finished up helping build a solid Western Kentucky program. Not ready for NFL yet but maybe down the road.

Don't really know of any top minorities Coordinators in he NFL.
[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Jan 21, 2013 at 4:46 PM ]
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Again, the point of the interview is - to build relationships. As is the case everywhere, if you know the right people - you've a better chance of landing a job. That's why Rooney rule is in place and has been for the most part - effective.

This this this
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
There are 3 up and coming college coaches that will be getting NFL calls next year.

David Shaw - HC of Stanford. NFL experience. Coached under John Gruden, Brian Billick and Jim Harbaugh.

Kevin Sumlin - HC of Texas A&M. Learned under RC Slocum, Mike Price, Dennis Erickson, and Bob Stoops.

Willie Taggert - HC of South Florida. Learned under Jack and Jim Harbaugh. Finished up helping build a solid Western Kentucky program. Not ready for NFL yet but maybe down the road.

David Shaw is coaching at his dream job... Not going to leave for the NFL.

Charlie Strong has had one good year at Louisville, has no NFL experience.

Sumlin had 3 teams ask for interviews this year and turn them down. But could go in a few years.

Taggert is a LONG way off from getting any NFL interest. Also no NFL experience.

Top minority coaches in NFL: Lovie Smith, Pep Hamilton, Jim Caldwell, Mel Tucker, Ray Horton
I personally am not a huge fan of this rule for many of the reasons stated on the first page of the thread. No one wants to be a token interview, guys will rise up on merit, etc.

But frankly when NFL journalists are reporting that sources (minority coaches and front office personnel around the league) are furious with the lack of minority hires this year, I have to admit I'm not in a great position to pass judgment on the rule (not being a minority).
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kingairta:
Originally posted by titan:
Originally posted by BobS:
Let us do the math, I believe 12% of the US population is black so if 4 head coaches are black that is representative of the population. We had 5 before Lovie and Romeo lost their jobs, now there are 3, I don't see a problem. Also it is the best man for the job, the NFL isn't filling an Affirmative Action quota.

If you're going to go by percentages, it should be the percentage of minorities in the NFL.

It should go by workforce in United States. We are talking about occupation?! If we are going for just NFL numbers add the players and coaches. That would be interesting what the numbers would be.

Ex players will make the best coaches more often than someone who has never played the game. With so many black players playing the NFL - it is pretty weird that we don't have more black coaches. NBA is a good example.

You don't make someone with biology degree a CEO of a marketing company.

Sure many coaches are ex players at some level. But it doesn't make them good head coaches. They might excel at the position they played but to have a grasp of the game overall and the strategy that goes into game planning and calling is not something that can be done by any ex player. Hell we just recently had a HOF player as a head coach and he was horrendous.

Using basketball as an example isn't very good. It's easier for a basketball player to have the ability to call a game because it's only five guys on the court and they do both offense and defense playing. Quite a bit different then coaching a team with 33 different player positions through out the game and using 53 players in those spots.

I never said they have to be great players. Great players are often poor coaches because they don't know how to deal with players who aren't great. But, most of the coaches are ex-players who played in NFL or at least at a collegiate level.

I'm not sure how coaching in NBA is different. Coaching is coaching. You have to be a leader of men in basketball and you've to be leader of men in football. It doesn't matter if you're leading 10 guys or 50 guys. In NFL - you've a bigger supporting cast of coaches. So I don't see any difference.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:

Having an impressive resume matters - but knowing the right people matters big time as well. This is the reason why it took less than a week for Andy Reid to get a job.

The job of Rooney Rule is to get the team management and minority coaches in the same room and get to know each other. Even if the interview is a sham - it does it's job. If the interview of the minority coach went great and the management went with another coach - they will still come out of that interview as believing that the minority coach was impressive and there is a chance that they will give him an opportunity down the road OR tell other people about him.