LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 255 users in the forums

The Rooney Rule

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • titan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Originally posted by BobS:
Let us do the math, I believe 12% of the US population is black so if 4 head coaches are black that is representative of the population. We had 5 before Lovie and Romeo lost their jobs, now there are 3, I don't see a problem. Also it is the best man for the job, the NFL isn't filling an Affirmative Action quota.

If you're going to go by percentages, it should be the percentage of minorities in the NFL.

It should go by workforce in United States. We are talking about occupation?! If we are going for just NFL numbers add the players and coaches. That would be interesting what the numbers would be.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Problem is the most stressful minority coordinators happen to be on the defensive side of the ball... Everyone wants the next great offensive mind, so that is a reason we are seeing coaches like Lovie Smith unable to get a job this year. Pep Hamilton & Harold Goodwin are now offensive coordinators, I could easily see Pep getting a head coaching job quickly.
  • titan
  • Veteran
They should apply Rooney rule in NFL network! They have 4 black dudes and a Seahawk Smurf! Lol.
Originally posted by titan:
They should apply Rooney rule in NFL network! They have 4 black dudes and a Seahawk Smurf! Lol.

lol what? Half the NFL network is black...

Its basically Rich Eisen, Mooch, and a ton of retired HOF guys.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Let us do the math, I believe 12% of the US population is black so if 4 head coaches are black that is representative of the population. We had 5 before Lovie and Romeo lost their jobs, now there are 3, I don't see a problem. Also it is the best man for the job, the NFL isn't filling an Affirmative Action quota.

If you're going to go by percentages, it should be the percentage of minorities in the NFL.

It should go by workforce in United States. We are talking about occupation?! If we are going for just NFL numbers add the players and coaches. That would be interesting what the numbers would be.

Ex players will make the best coaches more often than someone who has never played the game. With so many black players playing the NFL - it is pretty weird that we don't have more black coaches. NBA is a good example.

You don't make someone with biology degree a CEO of a marketing company.
[ Edited by 49ersMyLife on Jan 21, 2013 at 2:36 AM ]
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Again, the point of the interview is - to build relationships. As is the case everywhere, if you know the right people - you've a better chance of landing a job. That's why Rooney rule is in place and has been for the most part - effective.
Has any hiring been a direct result of the Rooney rule? I'm willing to bet those Coaches of color were in mind for the job regardless if that rule was in place or not. Maybe Singlecell but he had his foot in the door and the ear of the front office prior to the hiring process.

Ex players will make the best coaches more often than someone who has never played the game. With so many black players playing the NFL - it is pretty weird that we don't have more black coaches. NBA is a good example.

You don't make someone with biology degree a CEO of a marketing company.

Sure many coaches are ex players at some level. But it doesn't make them good head coaches. They might excel at the position they played but to have a grasp of the game overall and the strategy that goes into game planning and calling is not something that can be done by any ex player. Hell we just recently had a HOF player as a head coach and he was horrendous.

Using basketball as an example isn't very good. It's easier for a basketball player to have the ability to call a game because it's only five guys on the court and they do both offense and defense playing. Quite a bit different then coaching a team with 33 different player positions through out the game and using 53 players in those spots.
[ Edited by kingairta on Jan 21, 2013 at 11:57 AM ]
Originally posted by Niners99:
Anyone with a billion dollars can own an NFL franchise. Problem is they very rarely are up for sale. Even the worst NFL teams still make a profit, so theres no reason for anyone to sell.

It's not just the money either. Prospective owners have to be approved.
i'm more concerned on why there are few white cornerbacks.........................

(no racism )

Keep in mind, black coaches never asked for this. I personally think the rule is trash. You can tell when interviews are serious, for example, when Lovie Smith got interviewed by the Bears verses when teams would interview Ted Cottrell or Ray Rhodes long after his time was up. The problem is, owners and front offices already know who they want. It's as simple as that. It would be different if instead of trotting out the Mike Singletary's (like how the Bears did recently), if they interviewed David Shaw for example. There are black coaches in the college and pro ranks that would legitimately be good candidates, but as I said, owners and front offices already have in mind who they want and don't want to bother wasting the time of a legit candidate. IMO it's the reason why the better black coaches never get interviews unless the front office seriously wants to hire the guy (and when it happens, the usually do).
Imagine if they extend the Rooney Rule to coordinators as some have brought up?

The amount of sham interviews would go through the roof. The rule is one with the best of intentions at its core, but ultimately its ineffective and even counterproductive, how many black coaching candidates get f**ked with and invited to interviews just to fulfill the rule, with teams having no intention whatsoever of hiring that guy?
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
You can't argue with the results the Ravens have posted since elevating Jim Caldwell to offensive coordinator.

So they've decided to make it permanent.

Ravens coach John Harbaugh said the team has agreed to a deal to keep Caldwell in the post beyond this season, and that they had also hired former Eagles defensive coordinator Juan Castillo, via Aaron Wilson of the Baltimore Sun.

Caldwell replaced Cam Cameron on Dec. 10, but they've caught another gear since the start of the playoffs.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/21/ravens-keeping-caldwell-as-coordinator-beyond-this-year/
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Imagine if they extend the Rooney Rule to coordinators as some have brought up?

The amount of sham interviews would go through the roof. The rule is one with the best of intentions at its core, but ultimately its ineffective and even counterproductive, how many black coaching candidates get f**ked with and invited to interviews just to fulfill the rule, with teams having no intention whatsoever of hiring that guy?

Originally posted by Jcool:
You can't argue with the results the Ravens have posted since elevating Jim Caldwell to offensive coordinator.

So they've decided to make it permanent.

Ravens coach John Harbaugh said the team has agreed to a deal to keep Caldwell in the post beyond this season, and that they had also hired former Eagles defensive coordinator Juan Castillo, via Aaron Wilson of the Baltimore Sun.

Caldwell replaced Cam Cameron on Dec. 10, but they've caught another gear since the start of the playoffs.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/21/ravens-keeping-caldwell-as-coordinator-beyond-this-year/
I don't think that has anything to do with the Rooney Rule. Caldwell was on the staff and wasn't he already QB coordinator? He got a shot and did well, so he kept the job.

As I said, teams know who they want to hire, and it's not hard to tell who a team is serious about, regardless of the background of the coach.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I don't think that has anything to do with the Rooney Rule. Caldwell was on the staff and wasn't he already QB coordinator? He got a shot and did well, so he kept the job.

As I said, teams know who they want to hire, and it's not hard to tell who a team is serious about, regardless of the background of the coach.

It has nothing to do with the Rooney Rule. It has to do with people overreacting to the NFL having less black head coaches. Cam Cameron (a white coach) was fired and replaced by Caldwell (a black coach) and now he gets his contract extended. We now have 2 minority coaches become NFL offensive coordinators and now a third getting to keep his job into next year.
[ Edited by Jcool on Jan 21, 2013 at 2:38 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone