There are 132 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The Rooney Rule

I don't see anything wrong with the rule (although it can be exhausting) if all it does is to require you to at least interview minority candidates but to take it a step further is stupid. I am black and I believe that Singletary was let go simply because his job performance was poor and I am very happy with Harbaugh who happens to be white and he is doing a kicka$$ job thus far. When you are making a hire, I believe it has to be the best man for the job especially when it is a Head Coach position. I don't think any NBA owner would not hire Doc Rivers because he is black. If he can make their respective franchises a winner which leads to more money and revenue, they would make the hire. Look at all the black QBs today. The league is full of opportunity for minorities and they are taking ahold of them. This is a bunch of talk about nothing when it comes to the coaches. If Harbaugh was black, I don't think that any owner would turn him away. As a fan, I want the best man for the job or woman. Period. I would not wan't a job because I am a minority and I would not want to be turned away because of it either. I should be expected to give a good interview and perform the job duties if hired just like everyone else. Otherwise, this is bad business for the employer
[ Edited by Pillbusta on Jan 19, 2013 at 9:31 AM ]
Not a fan of it at all, It's a shame that people keep bring up race these days and we wonder why we can't get rid of the race card. I'm waiting for there to be a rule so there can be a fair shot for whites in football, there just isn't enough whites as starters in the NFL
7/8 of the coaching hires were on the offensive of the ball. For whatever reason it seems like most of the quality minority candidates are defensive guys. Perhaps the Rooney rule should be extended to coordinators to give African Americans a better opporunity on offense.

I don't have a problem with the rule. I wouldn't take it as an insult it's getting your name out there and getting you an interview you may not of otherwise received.
Originally posted by BobS:
Let us do the math, I believe 12% of the US population is black so if 4 head coaches are black that is representative of the population. We had 5 before Lovie and Romeo lost their jobs, now there are 3, I don't see a problem. Also it is the best man for the job, the NFL isn't filling an Affirmative Action quota.

If you're going to go by percentages, it should be the percentage of minorities in the NFL.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
7/8 of the coaching hires were on the offensive of the ball. For whatever reason it seems like most of the quality minority candidates are defensive guys. Perhaps the Rooney rule should be extended to coordinators to give African Americans a better opporunity on offense.

I don't have a problem with the rule. I wouldn't take it as an insult it's getting your name out there and getting you an interview you may not of otherwise received.

I also have no problem with the rule. I'm actually shocked that Lovie Smith didn't get hired. How does Andy Reid gets a job and Lovie Smith doesn't? Considering how many unproven coaches got hired this year and they are all white - I think if you're a black coach, that has to make you a little upset.

Btw...just to be clear - I don't know if the owners or the GMs are racist - I don't think that's the case. I think the problem for minority coaches is - not knowing enough of the right people in the business. This is why, GMs/Owners are forced to interview them. So, minority coaches have a chance to build relationships.
Originally posted by Gelder:
Why aren't there any Asian or Spanish head coaches?!?! RACIST!!!!

Ron Rivera.
I think its a good rule with good intentions. Even if a candidate is a token interview, it could give a young upcoming minority good media exposure. That exposure recognizes the candidates accomplishments and exposes him for future jobs.
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
I think its a good rule with good intentions. Even if a candidate is a token interview, it could give a young upcoming minority good media exposure. That exposure recognizes the candidates accomplishments and exposes him for future jobs.

You dont see it as condescending though? The NFL is basically telling them "Here, since you probably wont be able to get promoted on your own merits, were going to make teams interview you so they can see how promising you are."

NFL teams arent hiring based on skin color. Theyre hiring based on who can win them Super Bowls. If that guy is a minority, they will find him. You think a guy like Mike Tomlin needed the Rooney Rule to get a job?

The problem is more likely that not enough minorities are becoming coaches in the HS/College ranks. The NFL is the cream of the crop. Only 32 jobs exist, and when the vast majority of pro football coaches are white, what does the NFL expect is going to happen? Do they want a team to hire a guy because hes not white? He has to be the best man for the job.
stupid rule
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
I think its a good rule with good intentions. Even if a candidate is a token interview, it could give a young upcoming minority good media exposure. That exposure recognizes the candidates accomplishments and exposes him for future jobs.

You dont see it as condescending though? The NFL is basically telling them "Here, since you probably wont be able to get promoted on your own merits, were going to make teams interview you so they can see how promising you are."

NFL teams arent hiring based on skin color. Theyre hiring based on who can win them Super Bowls. If that guy is a minority, they will find him. You think a guy like Mike Tomlin needed the Rooney Rule to get a job?

The problem is more likely that not enough minorities are becoming coaches in the HS/College ranks. The NFL is the cream of the crop. Only 32 jobs exist, and when the vast majority of pro football coaches are white, what does the NFL expect is going to happen? Do they want a team to hire a guy because hes not white? He has to be the best man for the job.

A young up and coming assistant can get free exposure and college teams may offer an interview based off of it.

I understand the negative aspects of the rule, but I also look at its benefits and think they outweigh them.
Cry me a river, such b******t.
stupid
This issue goes beyond the NFL or even the USA

The solution is simple: Not until there are more black owners in the league. People surround themselves ESPECIALLY financially with people they can relate to. Similarities in race and culture are the first that jump out. Pretty straight forward
Originally posted by KEGster:
This issue goes beyond the NFL or even the USA

The solution is simple: Not until there are more black owners in the league. People surround themselves ESPECIALLY financially with people they can relate to. Similarities in race and culture are the first that jump out. Pretty straight forward

You will never have an even system. You could have 50% black owners than people complain there aren't enough Hispanic or Asian owners.....
  • BobS
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 8,282
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Originally posted by BobS:
Let us do the math, I believe 12% of the US population is black so if 4 head coaches are black that is representative of the population. We had 5 before Lovie and Romeo lost their jobs, now there are 3, I don't see a problem. Also it is the best man for the job, the NFL isn't filling an Affirmative Action quota.

If you're going to go by percentages, it should be the percentage of minorities in the NFL.
That makes no sense, coaching is a mental job, no race really has an edge on another when it comes to intelligence, so if there is no bias all races should be represented in accordance with their percentage of the general population. Football player is a physical job and certain races have an edge in strength and speed over others.
...