LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 274 users in the forums

Marc Trestman New Bears HC

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I still have nightmares about this.

Oh, u just reminded me of that dreadful play.
The STUPIDEST play that still makes me scream.

Siefert was NOT a great coach. IMO, he was better than average HC - he inherited a team from Bill and wona aSBowl.
Originally posted by Wrathman:
Ricky Watters was way better than Loville. I don't think I ever saw Loville get more than 3 yds/play running ever. Not only was Watters a great RB he was also a good receiver as well. Trestman was not that good. He just inherited a Ferrari, but wasn't sure how to drive it. I remember Steve Young and Jerry Rice complaining about his dumb play calls. They don't complain unless it was needed, and it was.

Steve Young called him an absolute offensive "genius", Jerry Rice complained about him because Trestman, realizing he had no running game, used a lot of short routes to keep moving the ball, in the process the receivers took a beating. However, when Rice and Trestman were reunited in Oakland, he was extremely complimentary and a big supporter of the guy.

I think initially, Trestman was not a guy who related well to people, he was somewhat awkward, not a football type whatsoever, but he slowly came out of his shell and while he's the anti-Harbaugh in terms of sideline demeanor and having a very stoic, calm persona, he's an absolute offensive genius, there's not an offensive system or play that he doesn't know from top to bottom, he's forgotten more about offense than most people will learn. The 49ers offense hasn't been #1 in the NFL since Trestman got fired. Even in the 1998 season where they were absolutely loaded with Hearst and Owens, they weren't ranked at the top.

Also, this is entire debate is silly when you consider who is supporting Trestman, namely guys like Steve Young, Jerry Rice, Brent Jones, Rich Gannon, Jon Gruden and many more. When you have Hall-of-Famers, superstars and great coaches in your corner, its clear that you've got something good going on.

"This is an exceptional hire for the Chicago Bears," Rice added on ESPN. "He's an offensive-minded coach. He's a great play-caller. He's a guru when it comes to quarterbacking."

"He was an offensive innovator at that time, a great game-day play-caller," Young said Wednesday on ESPN. "But he's grown into the ability to actually be an orchestrator of a whole organization. This guy is ready. More than anybody, he's mature and experienced. It's time for Marc Trestman to be a head coach in the NFL, and I'm very excited for him."

"Marc Trestman is right up there with Mike Holmgren and Mike Shanahan. [The Bears] got an exceptional coach. [Cutler and Trestman] are going to build a relationship. I think it's going to be very similar to [Colin] Kaepernick and Jim Harbaugh [with the 49ers]."-Jerry Rice

"I think he's like Bill Walsh, because he's one of those guys that you want to go out and lay it on the line for. He is totally committed, and players are going to want to play for a guy like that!" – Hall of Fame WR Jerry Rice

"He's innovative, a terrific communicator; he's the ears and the eyes of the quarterback," Gannon said in a telephone interview. "The way he saw the game. The way he could explain it. He was very honest, always great with feedback, didn't have a huge ego."

"He always has been on the cutting edge of offensive football. He has an excellent, creative mind. He's able to adjust his offense to his cast of characters as well as most guys in football. If you have a pistol option quarterback, you're going to see pistol option plays from him., something that never has been seen before."-John Gruden

''I never thought I'd say the words 'Chicago Bears' and 'wide-open offense' in the same sentence, but I am now,'' former San Francisco 49ers tight end Brent Jones said. ''Bears fans should be thrilled.''

"The thing I like about Marc is his aggressiveness. I feel like he's always in attack mode, and as players, we respond to that." – Rich Gannon

"One of the most attractive qualities of Marc is he possesses an in-depth overall knowledge of the offensive game. Marc was one of the brightest coaches we worked with." – George Seifert

Finally Brent Jones reiterates exactly everything I've been stating in this thread.

''We had one of the most explosive offenses that season with virtually no running game,'' Jones said. ''It's so much easier to defend a team with a weak running game, and weak would've been an upgrade for us. Looking back, it was miraculous what we did. Expectations were out of this world, and [firing him] was an expectation-driven decision. But he worked magic with a bad hand.''

Bears got a hell of a head coach, his ability to develop and extract the best out of QB's is prolific, I think we might just see a more stable Jay Cutler this year, a much more dangerous Jay Cutler with Trestman structuring the offense to support him the same way Harbaugh did with Alex. I was hoping the 49ers could have hired Trestman as offensive coordinator but I'm happy to see he's on to bigger and better things.

The only downside I see to Trestman is that he looks like this guy.....

Move over Martz, this is the REAL mad scientist.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 18, 2013 at 10:09 AM ]
Originally posted by ninersoul:
Yup. I do remember the 49ers losing to Atlanta in week 17. I KNEW something wasn't right and the season wasn't probably gonna end well for the 49ers when that happened.

I think the INSIDE KNOWLEDGE that Mike Holmgren had on the 49ers was just as much and if not, more of a factor of the Packers upsetting the 49ers in the Divisional playoff round in '95. The 49ers always had enough talent to defeat the Packers. I just think they lost most of those matchups from being outcoached and receiving screwed up and no calls by the refs.
That was just a miserable time. That whole era really from 95-97. It was like we lost our birthright. I think we were at the height of Super Bowl or bust thinking and where we hated to lose more than we loved to win.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
That was just a miserable time. That whole era really from 95-97. It was like we lost our birthright. I think we were at the height of Super Bowl or bust thinking and where we hated to lose more than we loved to win.

More than 95-97.....more like from 95 onwards....it was just a total tease, the one year they put it all together and had an epic season, finally beat Green Bay....Hearst gets injured on the first play of the game and that's all she wrote. And then 1999 was an absolute and total disaster and that was really the beginning of the end for the most part.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
My bad. I didn't think somebody would actually try to debate something they didn't even watch. Stats don't tell the whole story. I have zero interest in debating this topic with you.

I didn't see every game, I did see SOME games. But if your going to be an idiot, well more power to you.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
The STUPIDEST play that still makes me scream.

Siefert was NOT a great coach. IMO, he was better than average HC - he inherited a team from Bill and wona aSBowl.

This.

Seifert wasn't a great coach. That was proven during his stint in Carolina a couple years later. They said his failure in Carolina is what's preventing him from going to the Hall Of Fame.
This.

Seifert wasn't a great coach. That was proven during his stint in Carolina a couple years later. They said his failure in Carolina is what's preventing him from going to the Hall Of Fame.

This. Walsh handed the team over to the wrong guy, should have gone to Holmgren.
It has been a long time since Trestman was the OC for the 49ers. Even if he was terrible (which he wasn't), wouldn't time and experience allow him to be better?
This. Walsh handed the team over to the wrong guy, should have gone to Holmgren.

Holmgren sure did outcoach Seifert in those 49er vs Packer playoff matchups in the mid to late 90s.

Originally posted by fastforward:
It has been a long time since Trestman was the OC for the 49ers. Even if he was terrible (which he wasn't), wouldn't time and experience allow him to be better?

Not if he's been coaching in the Canadian leagues for the past couple years.

The NFL is a different animal.

More than 95-97.....more like from 95 onwards....it was just a total tease, the one year they put it all together and had an epic season, finally beat Green Bay....Hearst gets injured on the first play of the game and that's all she wrote. And then 1999 was an absolute and total disaster and that was really the beginning of the end for the most part.

I'll be honest. Even though I thought we would've beaten Atlanta, I didn't think we would be able to beat Minnesota at the time. But you can throw 1998 and 1999 in there. Absolute misery.
I'll be honest. Even though I thought we would've beaten Atlanta, I didn't think we would be able to beat Minnesota at the time. But you can throw 1998 and 1999 in there. Absolute misery.

1997 still HURTS.

We had a very good team with aging stars. That lost to the Packers in the NFC title game at home was a heartbreaker.

I think the 9ers could've defeated the Vikings in the playoffs in the '98 season. The Vikings had an average D that year. The 9ers would've had no issues scoring points on those boys.

Not if he's been coaching in the Canadian leagues for the past couple years.

The NFL is a different animal.

But he has been with the league for a long time. One cannot forget all in a few years.

As I remember one big issue with Trestman back during his 49ers days was his communication skills, not his brain. He didn't communicate well according to the reports.
But he has been with the league for a long time. One cannot forget all in a few years.

As I remember one big issue with Trestman back during his 49ers days was his communication skills, not his brain. He didn't communicate well according to the reports.

If Trestman has communication skill issues, then he's definitely gonna have a problem being a successful HEAD coach.
Share 49ersWebzone