There are 192 users in the forums

Was Deion as a Falcon ever hated like Sherman was? Would you ever accept Sherman as a 9er?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by LisaTwelve:
I wasn't implying that the 49'er were complacent . . .
would never expect them to be . . .
just reiterating that I don't think the Hawks are tired of hearing about the 49'ers cuz, well . . . 's all bout that action - boss!

I would be. If I just won the chip shine the light on me and not a team I vanquished along the way
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Originally posted by susweel:
Deion was not as douchy as sherman, Deion was more entertaining he wasn't disrespectful to his opponents.

This. Spot on. I hated Deion for the way he played against us and shut down Jerry Rice. While he was confident, he wasn't the ass that Sherman is.

Plus -- Deion had and probably still has ten times more the talent than Sherman will ever have. Deion consistently shut down the game's best wide receivers and, at times, could literally take over a game.

Sherman has been schooled more times in just his first couple of years than Deion was during his entire career.

Deion would play games with QB's he got so bored of people not throwing to his guy. He would lay waaaaay off giving QB's false confidence and then had the speed and skill to close that wide gap while the ball was in the air. At that point it was a 50/50 chance if the ball was simply incomplete or if it was going to be intercepted. For a few years there Deion was like a condom, nothing got through.
Deion was just a show off in a self-promoting way that ran counter to sportsmanship at the time. People didn't like his arrogance. But IMHO he wasn't rude and insulting like Sherman. There are many players that were surprised what a good guy and genuine guy Deion was outside the spotlight - later 49ers teammates included like LB Gary Plummer.

Sherman is a punk that lacks any kind of sportsmanship. I have to believe teams are going to run some plays right at Sherman this year to get some shots on him - not to injure him to take him out of the game per se, but to put so heavy hits on him to shut him up.
As Niners fans I think we are blinded by just how popular Sherman is to others.
Originally posted by TheRambler:
As Niners fans I think we are blinded by just how popular Sherman is to others.

According to the NFLPI (the marketing arm of the Players Association) tracking merchandise sold tied to a given player, which is one way to track popularity, the current list in order of popularity for the top 12 is:

1. Russell Wilson
2. Peyton Manning
3. Colin Kaepernick
4. RGIII
5. Aaron Rodgers
6. Tom Brady
7. Marshawn Lynch
8. Eli Manning
9. Andrew Luck
10. Drew Brees
11. J.J. Watt
12. Richard Sherman

http://wallstcheatsheet.com/sports/the-12-most-popular-nfl-players-of-the-2014-season.html/?a=viewall
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Sanders (100% male).... Shermy (hermaphrodite)
Probably not, but deservingly so. Sanders was a shut-down corner, in the truest football sense. His even today his skill-set is highly coveted commands the highest dollar behind a franchise QB. And, Sanders' skill-set is applicable to any defense. Sherman is very good . . . . . for what the Seabuzzards do, and ask of him, on defense. In another, more complicated defense, Sherman wouldn't be as good, IMHO, especially given how much he holds. In fact, he'd be a liability. So, for me, Patrick Peterson had a very good point about Sherman and how Sherman is used on defense.

If Sherman is hated more (as he should be) its because he, IMHO, talks if he's a real shut-down corner when actually he isn't.
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Probably not, but deservingly so. Sanders was a shut-down corner, in the truest football sense. His even today his skill-set is highly coveted commands the highest dollar behind a franchise QB. And, Sanders' skill-set is applicable to any defense. Sherman is very good . . . . . for what the Seabuzzards do, and ask of him, on defense. In another, more complicated defense, Sherman wouldn't be as good, IMHO, especially given how much he holds. In fact, he'd be a liability. So, for me, Patrick Peterson had a very good point about Sherman and how Sherman is used on defense.

If Sherman is hated more (as he should be) its because he, IMHO, talks if he's a real shut-down corner when actually he isn't.

Didn't Deion himself say he thought Richard Sherman was the best in the game (currently), and if anyone would know that position it would be him?!? Just saying.

Link: http://www.nfl.com/videos/seattle-seahawks/0ap2000000315555/Deion-Sherman-is-the-best-in-the-game

:49
[ Edited by zaghawk on Aug 3, 2014 at 8:56 PM ]
Originally posted by zaghawk:
Didn't Deion himself say he thought Richard Sherman was the best in the game (currently), and if anyone would know that position it would be him?!? Just saying.

Link: http://www.nfl.com/videos/seattle-seahawks/0ap2000000315555/Deion-Sherman-is-the-best-in-the-game

:49

You guys should just give up on trying to defend Sherman around here. I mean really. Sanders is a media guy now and he knows that Sherman is a very productive corner, probably the most productive corner in the game right now. Sanders is also a genuinely nice guy. He hardly ever says anything bad about anybody. But the question this thread asks is was Deion hated like Sherman is and the answer is no and you know it. And one reason is that Deion wasn't a nasty, player-hater who screamed at television cameras and acted like every question regarding who is the best at the position was a personal attack on his manhood. The truth, whether you choose to acknowledge it or not, is that Sherman isn't even near the corner or the athlete that Sanders was. Sanders was a freakish athlete with not only Olympic quality speed, but probably the most astounding burst quickness I've ever seen on a football field. Sherman is just not that kind of corner.

I think the joke's going to be on you in Seattle this season. If you watched the Hall of Fame game, you saw at least four or five shots across the bow for the way Carroll has been coaching his DB's to play. No more judgement calls on grabbing that jersey, Hawks fans. We'll find out just how good a corner Richard Sherman is when it's automatic first down every time he grabs a jersey. We'll see if he has the quickness and speed to stay with receivers when he can't hold on for dear life without a flag being thrown. It's going to be interesting.
[ Edited by crake49 on Aug 4, 2014 at 9:22 AM ]

The time has come.....I suppose

Originally posted by HearstFan:
Deion was just a show off in a self-promoting way that ran counter to sportsmanship at the time. People didn't like his arrogance. But IMHO he wasn't rude and insulting like Sherman. There are many players that were surprised what a good guy and genuine guy Deion was outside the spotlight - later 49ers teammates included like LB Gary Plummer.

Sherman is a punk that lacks any kind of sportsmanship. I have to believe teams are going to run some plays right at Sherman this year to get some shots on him - not to injure him to take him out of the game per se, but to put so heavy hits on him to shut him up.

This is completely false, Deion was worse than Sherman (character wise) in every way that he was better as a player.

The only difference is that the Falcons sucked, so he didn't get to effect us the same way emotionally.

I've said it in the Sherman thread, whiners won't be winners. Winners put emotion aside and get to winning.
He was after his stint here when he bolted from us to Dallas
Originally posted by tjd808185:
He was after his stint here when he bolted from us to Dallas

My thoughts exactly. After he became a Cowboy I remember hating him equally to Michael Irvin, which was a lot. As a Falcon, I didn't really care.
Dieon was more of showboater promoting his brand. He had great battles with the goat, but he wasn't arrogant, mouthy and dirty as Sherman, especially when he came to the niners, then he bolted to the hated Cowboys was he disliked. Even then you couldn't hate him, cause he signed with us on the cheap and we got SB, then like anyone here he gotta make his money for his family. So- not hated, more like miffed.
F*ck Sherman dont want him
Share 49ersWebzone