There are 120 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Was Deion as a Falcon ever hated like Sherman is currently?

Originally posted by RicetoYoung:
Originally posted by banosser:
Gee.. you're hurting my feelings lol...


LOL. As if you're going to care about that Super Bowl in 10 years when you're a fan of a different team.

I don't think there has ever been a player hated as much as sherman is. I'm sure he'd love to think he's hated cuz he's so good, but that's definitely not it. That's why deion was hated by many. Sherman is hated because he's an obnoxious, loud mouthed, cheating hoe.
we shouldn't even be mentioning Deion's name alongside Sherman's, that hermaphrodite, Whoopi Goldberg look alike, s**t talker couldn't hold Deion's jock strap. Deion was flamboyant and cocky, but i never remembered him as disrespectful to opponents in the Sherman type of way. Sherman rubs it everyone's faces, guys got no class. I'm glad Trent Williams checked his ass.
Deion was as cocky as they come, but he was respected as well. Deion could cover any receiver, and he was as fast and as agile as any receiver in the game. Deion's only short comming was his tackling, but with his coverage skills, he rarely needed to.

I don't know about being "hated", but until Sherman can consistently cover the more agile receivers without holding, he will not have the same respect that Deion commanded.
[ Edited by Bison645 on Jul 9, 2014 at 11:13 PM ]
Sherman is still ranting about how much he hates Crabtree. http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/sherman-peeved-crabtree/story?id=24489416
After further thought, I've decided I don't care, just shut-up and play ball already.
[ Edited by vermonator on Jul 10, 2014 at 8:16 PM ]
No.
I remember people being annoyed by Sanders, but I don't remember any real hating. Sanders was arguably the best athlete in the league in his day. Let's not forget that he actually played in the NFL and MLB at the same time (!!) Nobody came close to Sanders in terms of burst, quickness and overall speed. When Sanders was back waiting for a punt, fans of the other team would hold their breaths. Sherman could never be close to the corner Sanders was. And Sanders didn't really trash talk other players in the media. He was much more respectful of other players than Sherman is.
  • Phil
  • Member
  • Posts: 2,168
Sherman boasts with no class or sportsmanship. He has a loud mouth and ego from attending Stanford. Being halfway well spoken and properly educated means nothing when you act like such an idiot on national TV and there are much smarter players in the NFL but his intelligence is a big part of his game. He's studying the game constantly. He's "passionate", I'll give him that but he's fitting right into the 'heel' role, like the old WWF/WWE wrestling cliche. Or Bill Romanowski! I'm sure Bill could back up his tacky trash talk though. More players need to punch him in the mouth and QB's need to target him non stop until he's exposed. I'm hoping he's exposed this season as teams figure out speed is his weakness and also WR's like Stevie Johnson who have leeway to improvise routes making it hard for Sherman/Revis like backs to prepare for. They're so good because they have natural ability but they also spend an absurd/above average amount of time watching tape preparing for games. Take that preparation edge away and they become average or slightly above average cornerbacks. Still good but not shutdown corners.

The league will basically try to replicate Ty Hilton and Stevie Johnson's success. Combine the two, above average speed and improvised routes and I think we'll see Sherman's glory days fade away. Speed shouldn't be too hard to come by but route running skills such as Johnson's may be a more rare commodity. I mean, look what Pete is doing with his WR core. He knows smaller speedy guys have success against his secondary so he went out and picked up Harvin and drafted Richardson as the NFL is copying Seattle's secondary formula. Arizona just rafted John Brown and brought in Ginn (not sure how speedy Ginn is these days). The Rams have Tavon Austin who should be better this season after more experience. The Niners, as we know brought Stevie in...if the NFC west has success against Seattle's secondary this season Sherman's mouth will stop moving so much. I look forward to seeing him quiet and despondent on the sideline.
[ Edited by Phil on Jul 10, 2014 at 9:41 AM ]
No. Deion was not hated near as much as Dick. To the other part of your question I beleive we dropped the ball on not drafting Dick. That being said at this point he could never be a 49er especially if Crabs is on the team. Im not sure if it is true or part of the mental chess match but if he says his hate for Crabs is personal then to me its a slap in the face. Also, at this point I cant stand this dude and would never want him as a 49er
I find it strange that anyone even compares the two. Sanders was the prototype "shut-down" corner. Nobody in the league could run away from him. I've never seen closing speed like he had. Steve Young used to talk about how Sanders would purposely hang back and bait QB's into throwing his way. When he was on the Niners, he wouldn't even take the time to go into the defensive huddle. He'd just dance around over on his side of the field waiting for the next chump to come out there and try something. When the Niners played against him they ran towards him and threw under him as he was running with someone else deep. That was the only way to play him. Sherman is a completely different type of player. He simply doesn't have the physical tools to do anything like Sanders did.
Originally posted by crake49:
I find it strange that anyone even compares the two. Sanders was the prototype "shut-down" corner. Nobody in the league could run away from him. I've never seen closing speed like he had. Steve Young used to talk about how Sanders would purposely hang back and bait QB's into throwing his way. When he was on the Niners, he wouldn't even take the time to go into the defensive huddle. He'd just dance around over on his side of the field waiting for the next chump to come out there and try something. When the Niners played against him they ran towards him and threw under him as he was running with someone else deep. That was the only way to play him. Sherman is a completely different type of player. He simply doesn't have the physical tools to do anything like Sanders did.

still one of my all time fav moments in 9er history. The pick was worth it.

Originally posted by Quest4six:
I'm going to start on a conquest, I'm going to re-watch every game Sherman was in last year and see how many no-calls he was given.
This is what happens when I opt out of summer school.

Btw Sherman sucks

Looking forward to the results
Originally posted by teylo31:
No. Deion was not hated near as much as Dick. To the other part of your question I beleive we dropped the ball on not drafting Dick. That being said at this point he could never be a 49er especially if Crabs is on the team. Im not sure if it is true or part of the mental chess match but if he says his hate for Crabs is personal then to me its a slap in the face. Also, at this point I cant stand this dude and would never want him as a 49er

Nah coach knew exactly who Dick Sherman was. He isn't as good as anyone thinks, especially himself.
Originally posted by WINiner:
Originally posted by Quest4six:
I'm going to start on a conquest, I'm going to re-watch every game Sherman was in last year and see how many no-calls he was given.
This is what happens when I opt out of summer school.

Btw Sherman sucks

Looking forward to the results

blame the league for not calling it. Most players will do s**t like that if they can get away with it. For example, OL holding. Happens on just about every play.