Shop 49ers game tickets
m
[ Edited by RealShaloop on Sep 13, 2016 at 10:05 PM ]
  • jrg
  • Veteran
IBTD
the NFL should adopt of the BCS.

no not really.
The best team in the NFL at the right time. It doesn't matter how good you are in September through December, as long as you make the playoffs and get the breaks. It kind of sucks that way, but if it works out for the 49ers I won't mind. I'm sure Giants, Packers, and Steelers fans sure don't mind their team's recent championships.
  • vaden
  • Veteran
What I love most about the NBA is that the best team always wins the championship. Even though it makes most of the playoffs irrelevant, it's just nice seeing the best team win. With the NFL, I think the best team rarely wins the championship, but it does make the playoffs much more exciting.
[ Edited by vaden on Jan 11, 2013 at 9:05 PM ]
Originally posted by vaden:
What I love most about the NBA is that the best team always wins the championship. Even though it makes most of the playoffs irrelevant, it's just nice seeing the best team win. With the NFL, I think the best team rarely wins the championship, but it does make the playoffs much more exciting.

As a person that doesnt watch the basketball, care to explain why?
  • Tman
  • Veteran
Very accurate
  • vaden
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rikimaru03:

The game involves far fewer variables, far less luck, especially when played out over a best-of-7 series. And being just 5 vs. 5 (with 3-5 bench players), the superstars have far more control and influence.

because each round isn't one and done but best out of 7

The game involves far fewer variables, far less luck, especially when played out over a best-of-7 series. And being just 5 vs. 5 (with 3-5 bench players), the superstars have far more control and influence.

The best team always wins a 7 game series in the NBA. When a team beats you 4 times in as little as 7 tries, they are the better squad. But for a team to catch the right lucky break(s) on one game day of the entire season and beat you to advance. That just plain sucks. That said, only division winners and teams good enough to post a better record than at least 12 other teams in your conference even qualify for the NFL playoffs so if they win out in the postseason, I am sure they deserve to be called Champions. The Giants proved this to us last year.

Also, they score more in basketball. The less scoring, the more random the result can be.
The NFL had adopted an arena style gladiatorial elimination tournament, and it works. Gloriously.

If the so-called "best" team fails to win the tournament, then they were not the best. Period. Circumstances be dammed.
Originally posted by Pillbusta:

The best team always wins a 7 game series in the NBA. When a team beats you 4 times in as little as 7 tries, they are the better squad. But for a team to catch the right lucky break(s) on one game day of the entire season and beat you to advance. That just plain sucks. That said, only division winners and teams good enough to post a better record than at least 12 other teams in your conference even qualify for the NFL playoffs so if they win out in the postseason, I am sure they deserve to be called Champions. The Giants proved this to us last year.

I swear, you damn millennials and your "grey areas." It sickens me that less and less people in this country accept absolutes as the truth. It will be the destruction of us all.
I think it's very accurate. If you can finish as the last team standing after a rigorous regular season, then come up clutch during the playoffs, then you are clearly the best.
Share 49ersWebzone