There are 103 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The accuracy of the Super Bowl in determining best team in NFL?

Originally posted by SofaKing:
I think it's very accurate. If you can finish as the last team standing after a rigorous regular season, then come up clutch during the playoffs, then you are clearly the best.

I agree even though some may have felt they had the better season, you have to get the job done when it counts and when you can finish the deal you deserve the praise and the spoils. Look at Lebron, he had the greatest regular seasons in recent history and many league MVPs, but his credit didn't come due until he came up clutch in the Finals. We wallowed and moaned in sorrow last season about the Giants winning it all but they qualified for the tournament and they won out. When you do that, you deserve the recognition
Answer to the question: No.

Proof: 1987.

QED
Originally posted by zillabeast:
I swear, you damn millennials and your "grey areas." It sickens me that less and less people in this country accept absolutes as the truth. It will be the destruction of us all.

wut
Originally posted by English:

QED

1987 was a traumatic experience.
the nfl should ditch the playoff system and move to a BCS like system.

QED

Well said.

I believe #1 ranked in offense and defense.

So traumatic, that when asked prior to the start of the '88 playoffs which team he fears the most, Walsh said Minnesota.
Is this question serious?.....
Originally posted by zillabeast:
The NFL had adopted an arena style gladiatorial elimination tournament, and it works. Gloriously.

If the so-called "best" team fails to win the tournament, then they were not the best. Period. Circumstances be dammed.

Have to agree there. The NFL postseason is more intense than almost any other sport. The only other one I can think of is hockey, but even then, it isn't do or die. In the NFL, you have to put 3-4 really good games together, against top competition, to win it. The team that can do that definitely deserves the title. It sucks for fans who watch their favorite team be the best all year long only to lose in the playoffs, but I am sure the players do not feel that way.
I think what this thread may be referring to is how it doesn't seem like teams that dominate in the regular season (basically 1st or maybe 2nd seeds) win the Super Bowl anymore. I think the Saints are the only team in the last seven years to be a top seed that won it all. It would be the equivalent of the 49ers or Cowboys being knocked off by the Saints, Falcons, Eagles, or Lions. Or the 1991 49ers making the playoffs and winning it all after they got hot at the end of the season. I will say that the 13-3/14-2/15-1 teams don't seem to be as balanced as the 13-3/14-2/15-1 teams of old. I think one of the most glaring indicators is that when they made the documentary on the top 20 Super Bowl Teams of all time back in 2006, Only one team from the 2000s made the list, the 2004 Patriots. Whereas 7 teams made it from the 90s, 5 teams made it from the 80s, and another 6 from the 70s. Even if they remade the list and grouped every team from 2000 to 2012 together (I'm including this season), the Patriots of 2004 would still be the lone team from the 21st century on there. Teams just don't dominate like that anymore and the one that had a shot at being an all-time great team (the 2007 Patriots), blew it by losing the Super Bowl.
No, but that's what makes it fun.
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:

QED

Well said.

I believe #1 ranked in offense and defense.

So traumatic, that when asked prior to the start of the '88 playoffs which team he fears the most, Walsh said Minnesota.

87 we shouldve coasted to a SB. Won in 88 and 89. 90 was the Craig fumble game, wouldve rolled over Buffalo.

We legitimately could've won 4 straight...
The playoff system is brilliant. It creates talking points and surpirses.

If the guaranteed best team won year in year out there'd be nothing to argue about
who cares if there's no 7 game series in the NFL. that's what makes winning the Superbowl more gratifying because it's much more difficult to do it.
Any given Sunday.
Includes Super Bowl Sunday (for two teams anyway). One of the reasons football is the best, in my opinion.
I think this year, the Super Bowl has the top two dead on