LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 245 users in the forums

Bills targeting QB Alex Smith?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Paul:
Something tells me that the Bills are somehow going to take him in the first. If Christian Ponder can go in the top 12, then why not Nassib in the first?

I don't know how good this guy is, but im sure the bills will find a way to screw it up.
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Originally posted by fryet:
First off, the 49ers certainly can hold on to Alex Smith in 2013. They were planning on doing it when they signed him in the first place as their starting QB. If they choose to release him, they get an advantage of spending next to nothing salary capwise on the QB position

They were obviously not planning on keeping him around, which would explain the fact that the contract they gave him allows them to get rid of him after the first year without taking a big cap hit. Or did you think that was merely a coincidence?
It was smart planning in case Kaep panned out.

It was definitely smart planning because Harbaugh was clearly just waiting for Kaepernick to be ready to take over. I said this when Alex's deal was announced. It was obvious to me and I pointed that out at the time. Some refused to believe it or admit it. It's even more obvious now. This was Harbaugh's intention all along.

so harbaugh knew or planned smith was going to get a concussion in the middle of the season
  • MuggD
  • Veteran
Originally posted by hofer36:
First off, the 49ers certainly can hold on to Alex Smith in 2013. They were planning on doing it when they signed him in the first place as their starting QB. If they choose to release him, they get an advantage of spending next to nothing salary capwise on the QB position

They were obviously not planning on keeping him around, which would explain the fact that the contract they gave him allows them to get rid of him after the first year without taking a big cap hit. Or did you think that was merely a coincidence?

It was definitely smart planning because Harbaugh was clearly just waiting for Kaepernick to be ready to take over. I said this when Alex's deal was announced. It was obvious to me and I pointed that out at the time. Some refused to believe it or admit it. It's even more obvious now. This was Harbaugh's intention all along.

so harbaugh knew or planned smith was going to get a concussion in the middle of the season

I think he was waiting for an opportunity. Yes.
Originally posted by Muggins:

I think he was waiting for an opportunity. Yes.

Maybe playing the odds? Alex never played all 16 twice in a row.
Something tells me that the Bills are somehow going to take him in the first. If Christian Ponder can go in the top 12, then why not Nassib in the first?

No way. If anything they'd take Mike Glennon that early.

Come on. Alex didn't lose his job because of the concussion. That only allowed Kaepernick to prove it was time. There's a decent chance Kaepernick would have taken over in the off season regardless.

He knew Kaepernick was his QB. As soon as he felt Colin was ready, Alex was out. The contract allows him to do that. The only way that isn't obvious is if you don't want it to be.

Anyway, they're now thinking Alex might wind up in Jacksonville. Maybe with Roman.
[ Edited by 49erRider on Jan 10, 2013 at 7:49 PM ]

Come on. Alex didn't lose his job because of the concussion. That only allowed Kaepernick to prove it was time. There's a decent chance Kaepernick would have taken over in the off season regardless.

He knew Kaepernick was his QB. As soon as he felt Colin was ready, Alex was out. The contract allows him to do that. The only way that isn't obvious is if you don't want it to be.

Anyway, they're now thinking Alex might wind up in Jacksonville. Maybe with Roman.

but blaine gabber is already dere doe
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

No way. If anything they'd take Mike Glennon that early.

And I would too.
Originally posted by TlSSER:

but blaine gabber is already dere doe

New GM in Jacksonville and Gabbert sucks so bad Henne was in over him the second half of the season. If Roman ends up in Jacksonville, I would say its a strong bet the Alex ends up there. Roman would know that he has a guy that can hold down the job for a few years until they find "the guy". After all...what are they going to ask him to do...hand off to MJD and hit shallow outs to Blackmon...sound familiar? It would be nice if we could get a pick out of it...we will see how that goes down.
Alex smith is exactly the type of qb that beats us. An efficient reliable game manager who doesn't turn the ball over. That's the niners kryptonite the last couple years.

Originally posted by JoseCortez:
Alex smith is exactly the type of qb that beats us. An efficient reliable game manager who doesn't turn the ball over. That's the niners kryptonite the last couple years.

Are you saying we lost to other Alex like QBs?

Bc Eli Manning is not the same type of QB
Originally posted by blizzuntz:

Eli did not torch us in the championship game. we lost because we couldn't capitalize on his mistakes. Flacco, Bradford, ponder beat us. We seem to do just fine against elite qbs.
Originally posted by blizzuntz:

Eli did not torch us in the championship game. we lost because we couldn't capitalize on his mistakes. Flacco, Bradford, ponder beat us. We seem to do just fine against elite qbs.

I dont think thats a function of style though...I think its just indicative of this teams tendancy to play down to lesser threats. That tendancy and our lack of depth are the two biggest things that stand in our way on the road to the super bowl in my opinion. The let downs through the year against weaker teams didnt really cost us too much, but we could have had home field against everyone if we had stayed tough against the Vikes and Rams. Then when you look at how we finished the season slow, and read up on the stats for how many snaps our starters have over the rest of the league...you really start to worry.

In the off season I really hope they address "next man up" at a lot of different positions. We are wearing our starters down with the way we do things, and I would put our starters when fresh against any team, and where.
I agree with those who think buffalo or KC or who knows who else (Jax) will not wait for alex's contract to expire and risk not getting him. NO QBs rated in entire first rd of draft and there are 6, maybe 8 teams that have to have a very good QB. I think it highly unlikely a deal doesn't get done before alex goes free. This yrs draft is exceptionally good news for us and alex's value to us in a trade. I just don't believe someone QB starved is going to "hope" they get alex. That somebody is going to want to be sure they get alex...so yeah, we will make a trade or one of the top 8 rated qbs in the league for a nice pick of early round . That plus our boatload of picks is going to make this a great yr for drafting. No LUcks, RG3s, nor wilsons coming out.
Share 49ersWebzone