There are 83 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

does going to the pro bowl mean much?

jeff saturday made the nfc team even though he was recently demoted as packers starting center
Obviously a popularity contest. Partly the reason why Bowman was snubbed last year.
No, not to me. The Super Bowl is the ultimate. The Pro Bowl is basically a popularity contest.
I can't remember the last time I even watched a pro-bowl game.
it means something. but not as much as it used to.

All-Pro Team means more.
Monetarily speaking it does:
  • extra paycheck ... the winners versus losers payout
  • incentives in a players contract, if selected -- Pro Bowl escalator(s)
  • bargaining chip for a players agent at contract negotiation time

Just a few things, that came to mind ...
It's an achievement. Something to strive for.
They should get rid of it if they cannot find a way to make the game meaningful. The same results can be achieved by simply announcing the All Star or Pro Bowl Team. It does demonstrate the best at position, and triggers bonuses.
Staley got an extra $500k a year through 2017 in base salary for making his 1st pro bowl last year.
I think its still a tick in the Hall of Fame come voting? In that regard I would say yes.
The all pro team is the real achievement. Not the pro bowl.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Staley got an extra $500k a year through 2017 in base salary for making his 1st pro bowl last year.

Of all of our player to go, he deserves it the least. 49er homerism got him invited.
It used to mean so much more when players needed the extra 10-15K so they wouldn't have to work during the off season. Dollars are so big now and it seems that most players selected don't even want to be there.
Originally posted by strickac:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:

Of all of our player to go, he deserves it the least. 49er homerism got him invited.

He is an average LT, but not many good Tackles in the NFC. Sad that Boone and Miller got snubbed, but when you got Adrian Peterson on the doorstep of breaking Eric Dickerson's record, their FB will get a ton of hype.

Also A.Davis and Brooks would be good replacements, and deserving, not as much as Boone and Miller though. Our DL, LB and S's have been great, and our OL and Running Game have been great all season long.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Problem is no one on the Super Bowl teams go and many players opt out, so you can have some undeserving players make it as fill ins.