There are 401 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Manning, Peterson, MVP, and Comeback-POY

Let's toss Rodgers out of the MVP discussion because there's enough perception around the league--fair or not--that he's having a down year. Certainly "down" enough to keep him from accomplishing a rare back-to-back.

Brady and Manning are considered the front-runners, but their numbers and team success are similar enough that Peyton's "story" and the Broncos' improvement over last year should give him the inside lane.

That brings me to my personal favorite, Peterson. In my opinion, he probably needs a playoff berth and/or the Dickerson record (mayyyybe just 2,000 would do it, but that seems like a lock at this point anyway) to have an actual chance, but I hope I'm wrong. Manning (4) and Brady (2) have won enough of these things--this is the year to honor the first RB since Tomlinson in 2006 (and Shaun Alexander before him). I think Peterson's talent is clear at this point. History will remember him as a superior RB to either of those guys. Factor in his miraculous ACL comeback, the loss of Harvin, and the uneven play of Ponder, and this performance just feels more historically consequential than what Manning is doing, and Peterson should be awarded accordingly.

As for Comeback Player of the Year, I actually think Peterson's candidacy pales in comparison to Manning's. Peterson had almost 1000 yards and 12 TDs last year. I know he "came back" from an injury earlier than expected, but Manning missed all of last year and has come back from some crazy-sounding medical crap. I know it's a pretty weak consolation prize, but this should all work out with CPOY going to Manning and MVP going to Peterson, even if the Vikings fall short of the playoffs.
  • vaden
  • Veteran
I shudder to imagine what Rodgers would accomplish with Denver's OL (which was superb before Peyton got there), but ok, Peyton vs. Peterson, I don't think I have enough medical knowledge to say who should win CPOY. Peterson's definitely having by far the more historically impressive season, but no question his injury wasn't as severe. As for MVP, I've never thought much of this award because of how the game inherently inflates the QB position. I think the best QB will almost always be technically the most valuable player. If Peyton were on the Vikings with no running game, they'd probably win more games. That said, I hope Peterson wins for the reasons you state. I think he's clearly been the NFL's best player this year, and that to me should be the definition for the NFL's highest individual award.
  • Garcia
  • Veteran
I'd say peterson for MVP.... he is on record pace and carrying his team with a s**tty QB.

Peyton for CPOY - Neck > Knee.
Originally posted by vaden:
I shudder to imagine what Rodgers would accomplish with Denver's OL (which was superb before Peyton got there), but ok, Peyton vs. Peterson, I don't think I have enough medical knowledge to say who should win CPOY. Peterson's definitely having by far the more historically impressive season, but no question his injury wasn't as severe. As for MVP, I've never thought much of this award because of how the game inherently inflates the QB position. I think the best QB will almost always be technically the most valuable player. If Peyton were on the Vikings with no running game, they'd probably win more games. That said, I hope Peterson wins for the reasons you state. I think he's clearly been the NFL's best player this year, and that to me should be the definition for the NFL's highest individual award.

You raise a good point about the nature of the QB position. I do think an elite QB like Manning/Brady/Rodgers vs. an average QB does more for a team in the win column than an elite vs. average RB. But yeah, here's hoping the voters go more down the "best player"/"most impressive player"/"historical significance route. At least that's what I would advocate.
OPOY is an obvious consolation prize for Peterson if MVP goes to Manning. Calvin Johnson could become an interesting party-crasher if he gets his record and AD does not.
This is going to be a real TOUGH call. IMO, both deserve it.

I feel it will go to the player whose team gets further into the playoffs.

That appears to be Manning.

Too bad they couldn't have co-winners.
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
OPOY is an obvious consolation prize for Peterson if MVP goes to Manning. Calvin Johnson could become an interesting party-crasher if he gets his record and AD does not.

Even with the record i think Calvin will still be overshadowed by all the BS going on in Detroit.