Originally posted by UKNiners:
Originally posted by GNielsen:
2012 stats:

Completion percentage: Kap 62.3% Luck 54.1%
Interception percentage: Kap 1.3 Luck 2.9
Quarterback rating: Kap 98.3 Luck 76.5
Yards per catch: Kap 13.3 Luck 12.9

Why Luck over Kap? I don't even begin to see the reasoning here. On what measurable basis is Luck superior to Kap?

Hey G

Took the worst team in the league to the playoffs. No? Not good enough?

Kap's got talent, no doubt. However, its tough to discount what Luck, RW, RG3 did for their respective teams relative to the year prior. Yeah, CK made the SB, but he was inserted into an already very very good squad.

Time will tell though. Luck seems to be the better pick long-term. Reminds me of John Elway.

Were they? That team had gone to the playoffs the year before they sucked. Mater of fact it had been a long while since Indy had not been in the play offs until losing Peyton, their all everything QB. IMO Indy tanked for Luck when it was clear Peyton was damaged goods.

I'd not put so much on merit into the notion that Luck took the worst team in the nfl to the playoffs. They just had hot garbage behind Peyton is all.

Noted
Too early to tell. Luck was hyped as the greatest QB prospect since Elway, and deservedly so. But if you're strictly going by on-field accomplishments since entering the league, Kap has the edge as of now. He's superior statistically and physically in almost every way.

I think Luck has tremendous on-field presence. He varies his fastball/touch throws extremely well, arguably superior to Kap in that regard. He was put in a challenging situation last year. Very aggressive scheme that called for many downfield throws behind a poor offensive line. Weak running game. Bad defense. Still managed to go 11-5. That's impressive.

I thought what Kap did was tremendous, especially in the playoffs. First 2 playoff games of his career he broke records; QB rushing yards, NFCCG comeback margin. Nobody was better throwing bullets 10-30 yards downfield on a frozen rope. His threat to run and accuracy throwing downfield is unmatched and is what made the pistol nearly unstoppable.
The reason almost every prognosticator in the media says Kaepernick has the most upside is that Luck, along with the other two great young QB's he is constantly judged against, have been running a pro-style offense for a lot longer than Kaepernick. It's clear that Kap is a fast learner, but it boggles the mind to consider what he will be looking like after he has been running a pro-style offense for a couple years. I find Luck's performance last year to be amazing, but there is no evidence that Kaepernick couldn't have performed in a similar manner given the same circumstances.
2012 stats:

Completion percentage: Kap 62.3% Luck 54.1%
Interception percentage: Kap 1.3 Luck 2.9
Quarterback rating: Kap 98.3 Luck 76.5
Yards per catch: Kap 13.3 Luck 12.9

Why Luck over Kap? I don't even begin to see the reasoning here. On what measurable basis is Luck superior to Kap?

experience in a pro style system and better at his touch passes/fade patterns.

but that's it
The only way to measure these two quarterbacks is to wait 10 years and see who has the most rings.
Both are great players but Luck does carry a team more than Kaep.
I'd be very happy to have Luck as the Niners franchise QB.

But again, most of the reasons why posters feel Luck would be better than Kaepernick fall into the area of conjecture, as in "Luck does carry a team more than Kaep." Nobody around here knows whether or not Kaepernick would have performed just as well if not better than Luck in the same situation.

All I'm saying is that by the numbers in 2012, Kaepernick was superior in every category. I'm also indulging in conjecture as well, by the way, when I point out that Kap has had a lot fewer years in a pro system.
I'd be very happy to have Luck as the Niners franchise QB.

But again, most of the reasons why posters feel Luck would be better than Kaepernick fall into the area of conjecture, as in "Luck does carry a team more than Kaep." Nobody around here knows whether or not Kaepernick would have performed just as well if not better than Luck in the same situation.

All I'm saying is that by the numbers in 2012, Kaepernick was superior in every category. I'm also indulging in conjecture as well, by the way, when I point out that Kap has had a lot fewer years in a pro system.

I agree with you G. It's impossible to know how either QB would perform if they traded places. All we can go by is the actual on-field results. In that regard, Kap has been the more dynamic player statistically and physically.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Aug 29, 2013 at 6:33 PM ]
Originally posted by SofaKing:
I agree with you G. It's impossible to know how either QB would perform if they traded places. All we can go by is the actual on-field results. In that regard, Kap has been the more dynamic player statistically and physically.

That's all I'm really saying - that so far the raw numbers favor Kaepernick. Luck and Kaepernick are both sensational players.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Both are great players but Luck does carry a team more than Kaep.

Agree, but IMO Luck had a supporting cast that wasn't as good as Kaep's...and switching of coaches (Pagano's cancer) that had to have some sort of impact.

On another tangent. Kaep seems like a natural leader. Look how the team...both offense and defense responds to him. During home games, sometimes I sit in LB 16 and observe the interaction that Kaep has with the team. You can't coach that. I wonder if that was one of the traits that sold Coach and Trent on picking him.....
Finally, we get to see these two go drive for drive! Should be really interesting considering they're both Jim Harbaugh QBs.