There are 77 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

COACH CAROUSEL

What it means to the Niners is Roman and Tomsula likely stay put. I'm ok with that, really. I know Roman's had his share of criticism, but here we are, in the NFC Championship again. I'd like to think if/when Fangio retires, Tomsula would still be around to be promoted to DC.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 6,308
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
What it means to the Niners is Roman and Tomsula likely stay put. I'm ok with that, really. I know Roman's had his share of criticism, but here we are, in the NFC Championship again. I'd like to think if/when Fangio retires, Tomsula would still be around to be promoted to DC.

Fangio is 55. He's going to be around as long as LeBeau in Pittsburg. Fangio will be a HC before he retires and Tomsula will definitely land a DC job before Fangio retires.
  • buck
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 11,379
FOX Sports' Jay Glazer reports Bills DC Mike Pettine will interview for the Browns' head-coaching vacancy on Thursday.

Pettine coordinated Rex Ryan's Jets defenses from 2009-12 before jumping to Buffalo last season. Proving he wasn't just a creation of Ryan's system, Pettine oversaw one of the league's most underrated, aggressive units. The Bills were second in the NFL in both sacks (57) and interceptions (23). He'd be an intriguing choice to replace Rob Chudzinski.

That being said, the Browns' defense was not the issue in 2013, while in limbo DC Ray Horton is arguably just as deserving of a promotion as Pettine.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/282112/browns-to-interview-bills-dc-pettine-for-hc

If it is true that neither Roman or Tomsula have been interviewed by the Browns, I would imagine that neither is a top option for the Browns.
Tomsula is a d-line coach and you think he should jump up to be a HC?

As for the Browns: morons imo. They have to teach a QB-rookie and want to hire a defensive-minded HC? Good luck with that.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 14,917
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet

#Vikings are hammering out a deal for #Browns OC Norv Turner to join Mike Zimmer's staff, per source. Optimism from all sides it gets done
Originally posted by communist:
Tomsula is a d-line coach and you think he should jump up to be a HC?

As for the Browns: morons imo. They have to teach a QB-rookie and want to hire a defensive-minded HC? Good luck with that.

FWIW John Harbaugh was a position coach (DB's) and a ST's CO before making the jump to HC. Andy Reid also went from position coach to HC. So it's not unheard of, and all it takes is one team to think Tomsula is ready and can lead.

As for the Browns, nothing wrong whatsoever with hiring a defensive minded head coach even if they are going to draft and develop a rookie QB. What matters is who the HC chooses to run the offense and who they hire to be the QB coach. With the right OC/QB coach combo they can groom a young QB. Pete Caroll has a defensive background and Wilson has developed just fine to date, Belichick same background and the Pats did pretty well with Brady, how about Dungy and Manning, Pagano and Luck and even Cowher and Big Ben (they won a SB).
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 14,917
Wade Phillips ‏@sonofbum

Disappointed not even an interview after 7 straight full seasons of top 10 D with 3 different teams. Last 5 times as D C= playoffs1st yr
Originally posted by Jcool:
Wade Phillips ‏@sonofbum

Disappointed not even an interview after 7 straight full seasons of top 10 D with 3 different teams. Last 5 times as D C= playoffs1st yr

lol
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 14,917
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter

Jets and head coach Rex Ryan have reached agreement on a multi-year extension, according to team and league sources.
Originally posted by Jcool:
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter

Jets and head coach Rex Ryan have reached agreement on a multi-year extension, according to team and league sources.

LOL
Originally posted by KRS-1:
FWIW John Harbaugh was a position coach (DB's) and a ST's CO before making the jump to HC. Andy Reid also went from position coach to HC. So it's not unheard of, and all it takes is one team to think Tomsula is ready and can lead.

As for the Browns, nothing wrong whatsoever with hiring a defensive minded head coach even if they are going to draft and develop a rookie QB. What matters is who the HC chooses to run the offense and who they hire to be the QB coach. With the right OC/QB coach combo they can groom a young QB. Pete Caroll has a defensive background and Wilson has developed just fine to date, Belichick same background and the Pats did pretty well with Brady, how about Dungy and Manning, Pagano and Luck and even Cowher and Big Ben (they won a SB).
How about Frazier, Nolan, Singletary? An offensive-minded coach, especially one with QB-background, simply recognizes the flaws of his QB faster, thus he can correct the way a QB is coached etc.
Wasn't Bellichick a DC before Browns hired him as HC?
Originally posted by communist:
How about Frazier, Nolan, Singletary? An offensive-minded coach, especially one with QB-background, simply recognizes the flaws of his QB faster, thus he can correct the way a QB is coached etc.

Nolan selected Alex, Singletary did not choose Alex but he did choose his OC and it turned out to be a poor choice. But Alex did have good offensive minds around him very early on but there is a lot more to the Alex Smith story and I'm not about to turn this into another go round about his career. Ultimately Alex wasn't a poor choice, but he also did not live up to the expectations of the #1 overall QB.

Frazier chose his OC, but Spielman chose the QB. And ultimately Frazier took the fall.

Each situation is different because it depends on who is making the personnel decisions and how much they will truly rely on the opinions of the offensive minded coaches. It won't matter who Cleveland ends up with as HC, OC or QB coach if their opinions are not valued, regarded and are heavily weighed by Lombardi and Banner when it comes time to selecting that QB (it also depends on how the draft board falls and if they can make a deal to move up should need be).

There are many variables in play and an offensive minded head coach with a QB background can still get it wrong and many have before and many will in the future. And exactly how many offensive minded coaches with QB backgrounds are out there that are truly ready and or capable of leading an NFL franchise ?
Brad Childress comes up to my mind.

Sorry, forgot that we are talking about the Vikings
[ Edited by communist on Jan 16, 2014 at 12:23 PM ]
Cleveland gonna interview Singletary
...