COACH CAROUSEL

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by sfout:
Originally posted by buck:
Vikings hired Mike Zimmer as head coach.

After the Titans hired Ken Whisenhunt as head coach Monday, Zimmer emerged as the clear favorite to land the Minnesota job. Tennessee was also vying for his services. There never really were any other candidates for the Vikings. Zimmer was the only one to receive a second interview, which took place on Tuesday. Vikings brass was mulling over whether to bring in more candidates for second looks but decided to offer the job to the much-deserved Zimmer. He'll bring a completely different personality to the Vikings than previous coach Leslie Frazier. Frazier was calm and relatively quiet, while Zimmer is on the fiery side. He'll keep Minnesota's 4-3 defense in place and reportedly has interest in bringing in Norv Turner to run the offense. The Vikings certainly upgraded on Wednesday.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

I think Norv Turner still has a OC contract with the Browns. Would the Browns let him go?

i think turners future there is up in the air since they havent got a coach yet.

This. I mentioned this a few posts up and isn't it telling that they haven't been reported as candidates at all?

looks close......

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter26s
Vikings have requested and received permission to interview Browns OC Norv Turner for Minnesota OC job, per source.

Well that answers the why didn't Minnesota hire a QB-minded HC. If they get Norv, it would be the next best thing considering the market.
[ Edited by sfout on Jan 15, 2014 at 10:57 AM ]
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Baltimore Ravens ‏@Ravens

The #Ravens will look inside and outside the organization to hire the new offensive coordinator | http://rvns.co/17i
Originally posted by Jcool:
Baltimore Ravens ‏@Ravens

The #Ravens will look inside and outside the organization to hire the new offensive coordinator | http://rvns.co/17i

translation: they looked at the tape of their current wr coach jim hostler in his only season as an nfl OC
looks close......

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter26s
Vikings have requested and received permission to interview Browns OC Norv Turner for Minnesota OC job, per source.

I called that yesterday, terrific hire if it goes through, Peterson gonna be a beast and they'll get a QB who can chuck bombs to Patterson and Jennings.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 15, 2014 at 12:08 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Vikings have received permission to interview in limbo Browns OC Norv Turner for the same position in Minnesota.

Neither Norval nor DC Ray Horton have formally been relieved of their duties in Cleveland, but the wayward franchise has allowed them to interview for jobs as their quixotic coaching search rolls on.

Turner had grown stale by the end of his time in San Diego, but produced more points than should have been expected in Cleveland considering his lack of a viable quarterback or running back. He'd be a strong addition to new coach Mike Zimmer's staff, and a welcome hire for Adrian Peterson. Turner has coached five rushing champs during his career.

I guess this means that Browns have to let him go, if the Vikings want him.

They can not let him interview and then refuse to let him go, can they?
  • sfout
  • Veteran
ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Vikings have received permission to interview in limbo Browns OC Norv Turner for the same position in Minnesota.

Neither Norval nor DC Ray Horton have formally been relieved of their duties in Cleveland, but the wayward franchise has allowed them to interview for jobs as their quixotic coaching search rolls on.

Turner had grown stale by the end of his time in San Diego, but produced more points than should have been expected in Cleveland considering his lack of a viable quarterback or running back. He'd be a strong addition to new coach Mike Zimmer's staff, and a welcome hire for Adrian Peterson. Turner has coached five rushing champs during his career.

Ray Horton is apparently jumping ship to Tennessee

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/15/ray-horton-reportedly-top-choice-for-titans-defensive-coordinator/
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Rapoport previously reported that Cincinnati Bengals defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer and Arizona Cardinals defensive coordinator Todd Bowles are two of the finalists. Roman potentially could become that third option.

Link

I think Minnesota is a good fit for Roman. If the Vikings has any one that knows football they would go with Roman. They need an HC/OC for consistency on offense. Roman is more than capable of making Ponder into a good qb. And with APeterson, that offense can be legit --even dangerous.

Do you think that Roman is a good offensive coordinator?

It seems that many people who feel he is not a good offensive coordinator think he will be a good head coach.

I find this rather confusing. Well, at least it confuses me.

I think he's a good offensive coordinator. I also think he doesn't do enough with what he has. That doesn't make him a bad OC. It just makes him an underachiever.
Originally posted by sfout:

Ray Horton is apparently jumping ship to Tennessee

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/15/ray-horton-reportedly-top-choice-for-titans-defensive-coordinator/

I'm not sold on Ken Whisenhunt, but he's better off being in Tennessee then he is in Cleveland.
What it means to the Niners is Roman and Tomsula likely stay put. I'm ok with that, really. I know Roman's had his share of criticism, but here we are, in the NFC Championship again. I'd like to think if/when Fangio retires, Tomsula would still be around to be promoted to DC.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
What it means to the Niners is Roman and Tomsula likely stay put. I'm ok with that, really. I know Roman's had his share of criticism, but here we are, in the NFC Championship again. I'd like to think if/when Fangio retires, Tomsula would still be around to be promoted to DC.

Fangio is 55. He's going to be around as long as LeBeau in Pittsburg. Fangio will be a HC before he retires and Tomsula will definitely land a DC job before Fangio retires.

• buck
  • Veteran
FOX Sports' Jay Glazer reports Bills DC Mike Pettine will interview for the Browns' head-coaching vacancy on Thursday.

Pettine coordinated Rex Ryan's Jets defenses from 2009-12 before jumping to Buffalo last season. Proving he wasn't just a creation of Ryan's system, Pettine oversaw one of the league's most underrated, aggressive units. The Bills were second in the NFL in both sacks (57) and interceptions (23). He'd be an intriguing choice to replace Rob Chudzinski.

That being said, the Browns' defense was not the issue in 2013, while in limbo DC Ray Horton is arguably just as deserving of a promotion as Pettine.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/282112/browns-to-interview-bills-dc-pettine-for-hc

If it is true that neither Roman or Tomsula have been interviewed by the Browns, I would imagine that neither is a top option for the Browns.
Tomsula is a d-line coach and you think he should jump up to be a HC?

As for the Browns: morons imo. They have to teach a QB-rookie and want to hire a defensive-minded HC? Good luck with that.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet

#Vikings are hammering out a deal for #Browns OC Norv Turner to join Mike Zimmer's staff, per source. Optimism from all sides it gets done
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by communist:
Tomsula is a d-line coach and you think he should jump up to be a HC?

As for the Browns: morons imo. They have to teach a QB-rookie and want to hire a defensive-minded HC? Good luck with that.

FWIW John Harbaugh was a position coach (DB's) and a ST's CO before making the jump to HC. Andy Reid also went from position coach to HC. So it's not unheard of, and all it takes is one team to think Tomsula is ready and can lead.

As for the Browns, nothing wrong whatsoever with hiring a defensive minded head coach even if they are going to draft and develop a rookie QB. What matters is who the HC chooses to run the offense and who they hire to be the QB coach. With the right OC/QB coach combo they can groom a young QB. Pete Caroll has a defensive background and Wilson has developed just fine to date, Belichick same background and the Pats did pretty well with Brady, how about Dungy and Manning, Pagano and Luck and even Cowher and Big Ben (they won a SB).
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Wade Phillips ‏@sonofbum

Disappointed not even an interview after 7 straight full seasons of top 10 D with 3 different teams. Last 5 times as D C= playoffs1st yr
Share 49ersWebzone