There are 76 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

COACH CAROUSEL

Originally posted by PTulini:
http://www.cbssports.com/columns/story/21479327/team-by-team-look-at-best-coaching-gm-options-as-smoke-clears

San Diego

Reid would love to land here, his hometown, but it doesn't look likely. Bruce Arians, the Colts offensive coordinator who went 9-3 as interim head coach, would make a lot of sense, however, and he already has strong ties to defensive coordinator John Pagano, who is likely to be retained. Arians cannot interview until after the Colts' wild card game, so no rush there. And the Chargers want to complete their GM search first, anyway. I also can't help but wonder if this might be a landing spot for Lovie Smith, who was fired by Chicago but has a Super Bowl appearance on his resume. Smith is expected to interview for a few jobs.

Also, several teams are thinking about interviewing 49ers defensive line coach Jim Tomsula, league sources said, and if 49ers personnel exec Tom Gamble lands a GM gig, he may end up looking long and hard at Tomsula for the head coaching job there. And, there is still a possibility that Carolina and Jacksonville part with their head coaches pending the outcome of their GM searches.

I understand the desire to move on, up, etc, but the Jags are a disaster. Going there seems to be signing up for failure.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Heard several people say Lovie Smith didnt deserve to be fired. Haven't they only been to the playoffs once in the past 6 years?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/01/phil-emery-makes-clear-lovie-smiths-failure-was-building-the-offense/
He got to the Super Bowl with Rex Grossman as his quarterback, that counts for something.
Holmgren for OC
I cant see guys like Gailey, Norv, and Crenel getting HC gigs again
Norv's HC career is over once and for all. He failed with every Team he was head coaching.

He will be a hot name for OC.
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
I cant see guys like Gailey, Norv, and Crenel getting HC gigs again

they're great coordinators though.
@EdwerderESPN: Norv Turner believes whomever takes over Chargers will be surprised to find out Turner's staff got everything out of the talent available.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
@SI_PeterKing: Happy Valley alert: I hear Bill O'Brien is strongly considering interviewing with an NFL team.

Make it happen, that could be Roman's only ticket out of town.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/01/penn-state-coach-bill-obrien-considering-an-nfl-interview/
@JayGlazer: Bears requested permission to interview Cowboys special teams coach Joe DeCamillis for their head coaching vacancy. Very respected coach. I believe more special teams coaches should be considered for HC jobs. Often fiery guys & the only assistant coach who deals with the entire roster.
[ Edited by PTulini on Jan 1, 2013 at 11:49 AM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
@SI_PeterKing: Happy Valley alert: I hear Bill O'Brien is strongly considering interviewing with an NFL team.

Make it happen, that could be Roman's only ticket out of town.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/01/penn-state-coach-bill-obrien-considering-an-nfl-interview/

That would be a classless move for him. I say he should wait a couple of years until Penn State gets back up on its feet.
i'll be we lose at LEAST 2 of our staff members this off season.
@JasonLaCanfora: I'm getting the sense more and more than Kelly stays at Oregon, but we shall see. Also expect Andy Reid to end up with the Cardinals job.
@EdwerderESPN: Norv Turner believes whomever takes over Chargers will be surprised to find out Turner's staff got everything out of the talent available.

Not surprising at all. The Chargers are not as talented as people make them out to be.
@JasonLaCanfora: Also, staying in AZ, Ray Horton meeting with Cards ownership today. He is a candidate there. BUF and CLE also set to interview him.
@JasonLaCanfora: When Bills execs head West to interview Ken Whisenhunt, a prime target, and Ray Horton, also expected to take a crack at Chip Kelly.