LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 412 users in the forums

rules modification thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
This is a spin off of this thread:
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl/168998-does-nfl-need-modify-pass-interference-rule/#post10

But I am curious to see what rules you think need changing? For me, two rules stand out to me the most:

1) If a coach throws a red flag challenge for a scoring play, the play is not reviewable and the team is penalized 15 yards from kick off.
How in the f**k does this make sense? Maybe penalize the team, but the goal of replay IS TO GET THE CALL RIGHT. What happened on thanksgiving is an embarrassment to the national football league. So what the coach threw a challenge flag? Penalize them if need be, BUT REVIEW THE f**kING PLAY AND GET THE f**kING CALL RIGHT. Because of a coach throwing a red flag on a scoring play negates the play from being reviewed. Who are the f**king morons who make the rules?

2) Inside of two minutes, any challenges come from above.
This, again, makes little sense. Why limit the coach in when they can challenge? I mean, they should be able to challenge any play within THE WHOLE GAME. Why within two minutes, NFL personell thinks it is a good idea to have this rule in play? While I don't have as big of a problem than the above rule, this rule doesn't make any sense to me whatsoever.

There's also other rules that bothers me like which play is reviewable. (to me, all plays should be reviewable) For example, when a player fumbles but they rule the play dead due to a whistle, a coach should be able to challenge to play and have replay determine when did the player fumble and when the whistle actually blew.

What rules doesn't make sense to you and what would you change about them?
Originally posted by pdizo916:

There's also other rules that bothers me like which play is reviewable. (to me, all plays should be reviewable) For example, when a player fumbles but they rule the play dead due to a whistle, a coach should be able to challenge to play and have replay determine when did the player fumble and when the whistle actually blew.

What rules doesn't make sense to you and what would you change about them?

this one pisses me off
The Ahmad Bradshaw fumble in the NFCCG. He fumbled but they ruled him down cause the whistle blew

we should've been in the superbowl dammit

f**king b******t
it was clearly a fumble, should've been our ball inside the 20 yard line with 2 minutes left in the game

[ Edited by InconvenienTTruth21 on Nov 26, 2012 at 11:38 PM ]
six downs to score or else punt....rugby league style
Originally posted by InconvenienTTruth21:
this one pisses me off
The Ahmad Bradshaw fumble in the NFCCG. He fumbled but they ruled him down cause the whistle blew

f**king b******t
it was clearly a fumble, should've been our ball inside the 20 yard line with 2 minutes left in the game

Exactly what i was talking about. They should've determined that the whistle blew AFTER THE FUMBLE. That play should've been reviewable to determine when the whistle blew and when was the ball start coming out!
I sort of agree with 2) Inside of two minutes, any challenges come from above.

But it would all so go against a team that has ran out of challenges and the game is in 2 minute drill and theres a dodgy play/call that needs to be reviewed. A coach should be able to challenge any play with his limited 2 challenges.

And this is a lead on from the above but GET THE REVIEW GUYS TO REVIEW THE CALL NOT THE REF ON THE FIELD. How much time is wasted watching some dude with a white hat make his way up to a booth and go behind a black curtain . . . . FFS get on with it! Everyone knows the call before the damn ref! Get the review guys to look at it and make the needed adjustment to clock/field adjustment/downs and what ever else. The refs on the field act on this information and the game continues.

I know its a good way to get in another break and run more ads but it really grinds my gears when players are sitting around again waiting for some old dude to finish nutting off behind a black curtain. If your team was on a hot streak and it took forever to review a challenge you'd be pissed because they've been cooling off for 3 or so minutes waiting on a call that everyone knew the result off before going to ads!!
[ Edited by ace49ers on Nov 27, 2012 at 3:11 AM ]
I would prefer less Rules. Much less. Logic and fairness should guide them.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
the biggest problem I've seen is the when the whistle blows just get rid of that rule

review all scoring plays AND turnovers regardless of when the whistle is blown (ref from above)
review all plays inside of two minutes (ref from above)

only time a coach would be able to challenge are plays like:
bad spot
catch or no catch (in the field of play)
illegal forward pass

this would fix everything

The other rule that pisses me off is pass interference. Giving a team 40 or 50+ yards on a iffy call is stupid
Should be 15 yards and automatic first down like college
this one pisses me off

f**king b******t

Exactly what i was talking about. They should've determined that the whistle blew AFTER THE FUMBLE. That play should've been reviewable to determine when the whistle blew and when was the ball start coming out!
These calls should be reviewed ! never will forget that blown call.
Originally posted by Jamespowers:
this one pisses me off

f**king b******t

These calls should be reviewed ! never will forget that blown call.

I just don't understand how come the NFL is so stupid to realize this.
"forward progress stopped" is a stupid rule.

Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
"forward progress stopped" is a stupid rule.

complete trash rule, does not even apply in this case as Bradshaw was fighting for more yards.
The red flag rule. Penalize the team. But still review it. Asses the penalty on the kickoff or next play like any other penalty.
and can we have a camera looking down the goal line please??????????

every time a goal line TD is challenged there's no camera with a proper angle.
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
and can we have a camera looking down the goal line please??????????

every time a goal line TD is challenged there's no camera with a proper angle.

I know, it makes no sense (cheap b*****ds)

I hate how ineffective the current system is with challenges, its slow, ineffective and often times completely kills momentum
[ Edited by 49erfaithful49 on Nov 27, 2012 at 6:30 PM ]
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
six downs to score or else punt....rugby league style

i see alot of 0-0 ties
Share 49ersWebzone