LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 256 users in the forums

The Alex Boone Thread!!!!!

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by outside4949:
he's underpaid. throw him a few bucks and make him happy

We already did. He turned it down. He thinks we're going to pay him elite money with two years left on his contract.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
We already did. He turned it down. He thinks we're going to pay him elite money with two years left on his contract.

then f**kem. he's just a guard

Not that simple guys. They offered him a 2-year extension. He's looking for more years. Makes no sense for him to take a 2-year extension keeping him here until 2018, when instead he can test Free Agency in 2016 and likely get a 5-year deal at market value.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Jul 25, 2014 at 7:29 PM ]
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Maybe he's nowhere to be found because he rekindled some of his old hobbies like drinking booze and "jumping onto the tops of several cars and banging on garage doors around 11:30 p.m. Sunday at the Barcelona apartments at 23500 Windsong"
Originally posted by SofaKing:

Not that simple guys. They offered him a 2-year extension. He's looking for more years. Makes no sense for him to take a 2-year extension keeping him here until 2018, when instead he can test Free Agency in 2016 and likely get a 5-year deal at market value.

if he wanted market value on the FA market he should have turned down the 2011 contract extension he signed and played out 2012 and then cashed in.
Originally posted by crabman82:

if he wanted market value on the FA market he should have turned down the 2011 contract extension he signed and played out 2012 and then cashed in.

Not really. He was a backup then, and there was no guarantee he'd be a starter. He won the job in 2012 after Snyder's departure, and has since outperformed the contract. He's a starting veteran player being paid backup money.

I can't blame him at all for trying to get a long-term deal while he's still on the right side of 30. If he signed that 2-year extension, he'd be 31 next time he's a Free Agent, and that would kill any shot he had at the long-term deal players dream of. More years = more guaranteed money.

It's frustrating that he's not in camp, but I feel a lot of the hate toward him is misguided.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Jul 25, 2014 at 7:38 PM ]
Not really. He was a backup then, and there was no guarantee he'd be a starter. He won the job in 2012 after Snyder's departure, and has since outperformed the contract. He's a starting player being paid backup money.

I can't blame him at all for trying to get a long-term deal while he's still on the right side of 30. If he signed that 2-year extension, he'd be 31 next time he's a Free Agent, and that would kill any shot he had at the 5-year deal players dream of. More years = more guaranteed money.

It's frustrating that he's not in camp, but I feel a lot of the hate toward him is misguided.

I can see all sides on this. The 49ers took a chance on him and they didn't have too. It just seems like the 49ers have tried to do right for the guy for the most part. I think he is going about getting a contract the wrong way when you take that into consideration. but whatevs
I can see all sides on this. The 49ers took a chance on him and they didn't have too. It just seems like the 49ers have tried to do right for the guy for the most part. I think he is going about getting a contract the wrong way when you take that into consideration. but whatevs

I too think he's going about it the wrong way considering the 49ers method of dealing with player holdouts. I'm just not mad at him in any way.

The 49ers have made it very clear they don't negotiate with holdouts, and never will. Boone is no exception, so I only see this ending one way -- he shows up to TC and few thousands of dollars lighter in the pocket. I think he is well liked and the 49ers will leave the door open for an extension, but he has to show up first.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Jul 25, 2014 at 7:52 PM ]
Not really. He was a backup then, and there was no guarantee he'd be a starter. He won the job in 2012 after Snyder's departure, and has since outperformed the contract. He's a starting veteran player being paid backup money.

I can't blame him at all for trying to get a long-term deal while he's still on the right side of 30. If he signed that 2-year extension, he'd be 31 next time he's a Free Agent, and that would kill any shot he had at the long-term deal players dream of. More years = more guaranteed money.

he was an overpaid backup that turned into a good starter. niners gambled and won. he should've gambled on himself and said f**k your guarantee niners give me a fully incentive based contract that lets me earn elite money if i get to that level... but he didnt
Originally posted by frenchmov:

he was an overpaid backup that turned into a good starter. niners gambled and won. he should've gambled on himself and said f**k your guarantee niners give me a fully incentive based contract that lets me earn elite money if i get to that level... but he didnt

sounds like his agent let him down, and is doubling down on that mistake by having him hold out now to try to make up some of that lost cash

Originally posted by frenchmov:

No one in their right mind would turn down the deal he got in 2011 before getting a starting job first. He was strictly a backup at the time. It was a no-brainer to take that deal. You only bet on yourself like that if you know you're going to play. You don't do it when you're nailed to the bench getting zero playing time.

What if he gets injured in those two years? Then he gets nothing.

Sure he can wait two years, cross his fingers he doesn't get injured, and then make 8 mil per, or instead, he can quadruple his salary for the next four years, and THEN seek a max deal at 31 for about 80% of the same money he would have gotten anyway at 29. Those extra two years of age are not going kill his value THAT much.

Besides, all of this is a moot point anyway, because he has NO CHOICE. If he simply sits on the couch for the next two years then his career is over, if he gets injured in the next two years, he gets nothing. He should have taken that deal when he had the chance.
No one in their right mind would turn down the deal he got in 2011 before getting a starting job first. He was strictly a backup at the time. It was a no-brainer to take that deal. You only bet on yourself like that if you know you're going to play. You don't do it when you're nailed to the bench getting zero playing time.

He took that bet because he had no choice. He couldn't predict the future. But it is exactly the SAME situation right now. He can't predict the future. He can't assume he won't get injured, he can't assume he will still be a starter, he can't just assume he will be Mr. Superman in two years. He can't know that.

He wants to cash at the max while his value is high, but guess what? He's under contract. He has no choice but to sign that two year extension he was offered.
What if he gets injured in those two years? Then he gets nothing.

Sure he can wait two years, cross his fingers he doesn't get injured, and then make 8 mil per, or instead, he can quadruple his salary for the next four years, and THEN seek a max deal at 31 for about 80% of the same money he would have gotten anyway at 29. Those extra two years of age are not going kill his value THAT much.

Besides, all of this is a moot point anyway, because he has NO CHOICE. If he simply sits on the couch for the next two years then his career is over, if he gets injured in the next two years, he gets nothing. He should have taken that deal when he had the chance.

True. The chance of injury is very real, and obviously something he's willing to risk given he declined the 2-year extension.

NFL careers are short, dude. 10-years in the league is a landmark for these guys. 2 years of their prime could be 20% of their earning potential, if not much more. Hitting FA two years earlier is HUGE. It could mean the difference between millions of dollars. Nothing to take lightly.

We also don't know the terms of the offered extension, so we can't assume it was structured to quadruple his salary for the next 4 years. We don't know that.

Obviously he wants an extension from the 49ers, but a 2-year pact makes ZERO sense for him. It makes all the sense in the world for the 49ers. That's why they offered it, and that's why agents are hired to represent the player and find a middle-ground.

It's just a negotiation. No reason to make it more than that, and hate the player.

Obviously he wants an extension from the 49ers, but a 2-year pact makes ZERO sense for him. It makes all the sense in the world for the 49ers. That's why they offered it, and that's why agents are hired to represent the player and find a middle-ground.

Let's say Boone is a bad ass two years from now and the free market averages him 10 million a year.

Now let's say the 49ers offered him 5 million over the next four years. This comes to 20 million.
Now he is 31, and signs a three year contract at the max. Averaging 10 million. That is 30 million. 20 + 30 = 50 million over seven years.

Boone is going to average 1.6 million over the next two years, for a total of 3.2 million.
Now let's say Boone plays out his current deal, is piping hot mad, and waits two years for that max contract. Let's say he signs a 5 year contract averaging 10 million. That comes to 50 million. 50 million + 3.2 = 53.2 million over seven years.

Don't think the 49ers offered that much? OK, how about a 4 mil per year extension? That only erases 4 million, still coming to 46 million over the next seven years. This almost triples his current salary. He knows he will get money NOW. They could offer him a prorated signing bonus, just like they did for Kap. He will be an instant multi-millionaire.

When Boone is 31 the NFL will have two more years of inflation. Therefore he will be able to sign a similar deal as to when he was 29. He will make very SIMILAR money over the next seven years.

It makes all the sense in the world to take what the 49ers offered him. I am assuming they offered him at least a 4 million per extension. They MUST have actually, because they said he would be paid like a top 15 guard. So it MUST have been at LEAST 4 million per. Meaning over the next seven years, he will end up making just around the SAME money.

He makes around 50 million over the next seven years regardless. Signing the extension with the 49ers gets money in his pocket SOONER, and it also keeps him on a championship team longer.
Waiting around for fate, averaging only 1.6 over the next two years is crazy, IMO.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Jul 25, 2014 at 9:46 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone