LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 414 users in the forums

The Alex Boone Thread!!!!!

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
This makes sense. Maybe he was concerned when he saw the high quality OLinmen drafted and getting Martin in the trade.

Add to that a justifiable concern about injury may have caused some financial insecurity in respect to his family's future.

this is what i have seen. he does not see an extension from the niners coming and most likely wants to be traded. i bet he shows up for camp but is limited due to injury or something.
Originally posted by 9erred:
Well he is now on Reserve/did not report. Does not count against the 90 player limit and will be racking up 30,000 A DAY IN FINES. I say the niners have put their stake in the ground.

This post puts things in perspective in just a few words!
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
The FO is in a VERY strong position.

A). Boone has 2 years left on his deal

B). They have good back-ups who if given a shot may do well

C).They can wait Boone out BUT Boone really can't wait them out.

D). I don't ever seeing him getting traded nut if it ever came to that we'd get a 2nd round pick for him

E). There will be 1-2 good quality and experienced G's available when cuts are made.

IMO, a deal will get worked out.

This is where I don't understand the agent's advice. Fine you're better than anyone in camp but every year teams are cutting good OG prospects. Since teams don't run as often, the supply of great OGs far outweigh the demand right now for running offenses. Even guys who are tweeners that can play OG and OT in a pinch. So many are around - and I mean NFL vets with experience. I just don't get the advice from the agent. I just don't.

The only way this makes sense is if Boone has reached a point where he feels at 27 he needs to get a big deal to take care of his family before he moves into his 30s. He's never going to start at OT for this team for at least 5 seasons so maybe he feels he needs to act now and force the 49ers hand for a trade and try to prove himself first as a great OG but also as a OT. This is the only way this move makes sense.

I agree, what you posted makes sense.
He needs to remember which team gave his outta shape drunken frat boy ass a chance and get into camp.
He is #43 in pay. Hopefully he will report soon, and we can get a new deal done then. We don't have anyone to put in that won't be a noticeable drop off. Lets face it.

Plus, he has the right 'tude.

Let's fix this.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
He is #43 in pay. Hopefully he will report soon, and we can get a new deal done then. We don't have anyone to put in that won't be a noticeable drop off. Lets face it.

Let's fix this.

Personally, before offering him a contract, I'd like to see how the youngsters play in pre-season. And/or if we do eventually trade him because we can't resolve then contract problem - I hope Baalke does his GM magic and get us a number one pick!

Let's fix this.

I like Boone a lot, but why are you so sure that there will be such a noticeable drop off? I keep thinking about that Rams game. Maybe you didn't notice. None of those pass rushers got past Looney and that's the Rams' strong point up front.
Plus, the Niners can't fix anything if Boone doesn't report. It's just not going to happen and it's up to Boone, not them. For cryin' out loud, they wouldn't even negotiate with Frank Gore until he came in. If Boone thinks they're going to do things they didn't do for Gore, he's out of his mind.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

Let's fix this.

why should we break our own rules for him? f**k him. and how do you know we do not have someone on our roster who can take his job. we do not have to do anything. there is nothing broke that needs fixing.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
He needs to remember which team gave his outta shape drunken frat boy ass a chance and get into camp.

This

• DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Wisconsin49erfan:
Question for the more experienced readers: assuming that Boone continues to hold out by the time that the team cuts down to the 53 man roster, do we need to keep him on the 53 in order to retain all of the benefits of the CBA (e.g. forcing Boone to provide 2 years of service, etc.)? Is there another designation we could give him in order to retain our rights to him without taking up a roster spot?

To my understanding when the FO puts a player on the Reserve / Did Not Report List the team gains a roster exempttion. That means the player does not count against the roster + the team still hold all the rights for the length of the contract.
Furthermore if the player does not report until Week 8 of the regular season he does not get credit for the season.

Please correct me if I´m wrong.
  • thl408
Boone shows up to camp. Coincidence that he's the sled?

Originally posted by thl408:
Boone shows up to camp. Coincidence that he's the sled?

Lol!
The front office doesn't negotiate with hold outs. If they didn't do it for Gore, the're definitely not going to do it for Boone! If they negotiate and give a contract extension to him, then every player will do it. Wake up Boone! Go to camp and then they'll talk.
Originally posted by Wrathman:
The front office doesn't negotiate with hold outs. If they didn't do it for Gore, the're definitely not going to do it for Boone! If they negotiate and give a contract extension to him, then every player will do it. Wake up Boone! Go to camp and then they'll talk.

If he shows up at camp, the only thing they will talk about is setting an appointment for next training camp. Then they will talk about contract. They do not want to extend him with 2 years remaining.
Share 49ersWebzone