There are 160 users in the forums

The Alex Boone Thread!!!!!

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by jpltanis:
Guards are dime a dozen. He doesn't want to be a 49ers. We trade him for a conditional 3rd round pick in 2015. Good riddance Boone.

2nd is the only way I would trade him. We have a very young top 25 G and potentially a top 50 tackle in this league on an excellent deal and 2 years remaining. Teams would jump at this guy and to get a conditional 3rd round pick would be a waste of our time. We need at least a confirmed 2nd round pick for Boone. I bet if we went into bidding on it we might get a team to give us their 2nd along with another lower round pick
[ Edited by Pillbusta on Jul 23, 2014 at 7:21 PM ]
  • Jiks
Originally posted by cciowa:
lets wait a bit. we got time, time is on our side. we are not the ones losing money. as boone loses more money and if he sees some of the kids perform well in his absence he will report. now if he keeps this up through deep into pre season,, yes then we can have that conversation. while we are not going to cave,, we do have to make pretty sure we have a solid player to replace him if we adhere to your theory

Was going to type something similar. I don't feel Boone can really afford to hold out much longer. It's not like he's making all that much so holding out would seem to hurt him financially. As you said, it sure as hell doesn't hurt the niners that for sure. He'll be back in a week or two.

I do feel he deserves more, but right now this team has other players needed to sign before him so he's SOL.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Originally posted by cciowa:
lets wait a bit. we got time, time is on our side. we are not the ones losing money. as boone loses more money and if he sees some of the kids perform well in his absence he will report. now if he keeps this up through deep into pre season,, yes then we can have that conversation. while we are not going to cave,, we do have to make pretty sure we have a solid player to replace him if we adhere to your theory

Was going to type something similar. I don't feel Boone can really afford to hold out much longer. It's not like he's making all that much so holding out would seem to hurt him financially. As you said, it sure as hell doesn't hurt the niners that for sure. He'll be back in a week or two.

I do feel he deserves more, but right now this team has other players needed to sign before him so he's SOL.
plus, for the millionth time, the niners have all but called a f**king press conference to announce that the only way they negotiate with players if they report for duty,, it was proven with joes extension and vernon must have gotten the memo because,, in small part, that is why he is here. it is mind boggling to me that boone does not understand this or thinks he will be different. is he f**king stupid, drunk or what?
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:

I think a lot of folk will have to wait for the ball to drop on Crabtree. Then along with addressing Boone we have Kendall and Culliver. Boone can't just up and demand Staley money with 2 years remaining on his deal when we have the walk years for at least 3 key contributors on this team looming
how many years left on boone's deal? two?

i honestly have no problem replacing him with kilgore.
[ Edited by DonnieDarko on Jul 23, 2014 at 7:30 PM ]
Boone is getting bad advice from his agent. The Niners will not negotiate with players until they show up for camp. He's under contract for two more years. All his holdout will accomplish is him making even less money because of the fines ($30k per day)
Originally posted by nflguy49:
Boone is getting bad advice from his agent. The Niners will not negotiate with players until they show up for camp. He's under contract for two more years. All his holdout will accomplish is him making even less money because of the fines ($30k per day)

Right! That money we save by not paying him will be used to extend someone else just like Staley!
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Originally posted by nflguy49:

Right! That money we save by not paying him will be used to extend someone else just like Staley!

That's why I love how the 49ers stocked up on interior lineman. They know Iupati is likely gone after this season, and they probably saw this dispute from Boone coming. I think we'll get something done with Boone, but even if we don't, we still have Looney, M. Martin, and B. Thomas for the future in addition to whoever else we add. We're in good shape no matter what.
watch...vernon is going to get a new deal because he showed up and boone is going to realize he has to be present to get a new deal. Seriously i dont know what these agents are telling our players. Freakin idiots!
The FO is in a VERY strong position.

A). Boone has 2 years left on his deal

B). They have good back-ups who if given a shot may do well

C).They can wait Boone out BUT Boone really can't wait them out.

D). I don't ever seeing him getting traded nut if it ever came to that we'd get a 2nd round pick for him

E). There will be 1-2 good quality and experienced G's available when cuts are made.

IMO, a deal will get worked out.

Originally posted by JustinNiner:
watch...vernon is going to get a new deal because he showed up and boone is going to realize he has to be present to get a new deal. Seriously i dont know what these agents are telling our players. Freakin idiots!

Hey it worked for the other 31 teams. Well this is the 49ers bud! We don't bend we don't break we don't fold. We own! Get to work earn what you already make and show me why you deserve that raise. Don't no call no show then sulk about being underpaid. Why would I pay you more to show up and do your job if you can't show up as is? How do I know if I give you this raise you won't stiff me again? That's the way we roll!
[ Edited by Pillbusta on Jul 23, 2014 at 8:42 PM ]
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
how many years left on boone's deal? two?

i honestly have no problem replacing him with kilgore.

Kilgore will be at C.
Alex Boone has no leverage. He has two years left on his contract and he's scheduled to make:

2014: $2 million (Base), $400,000 (Roster Bonus)
2015: $1.2 million (Base), $400,000 (Roster Bonus)
2016: Free Agent

Not exactly a Kings Ransom, but not peanuts either. Boone's not a Pro Bowler, but he's not a plumber either, so the money seems about right. Boone is thinking, "Heck, I'm 27 now, by the time my contract expires I'll be 29, I better hold out for an extension because no one will want to pay a lot of money for an aging, above-average Guard. He's losing money everyday that he doesn't show, which further deteriorates his finances.
[ Edited by doc_brown_ on Jul 23, 2014 at 9:16 PM ]
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

D). I don't ever seeing him getting traded nut if it ever came to that we'd get a 2nd round pick for him

E). There will be 1-2 good quality and experienced G's available when cuts are made.

This is where I don't understand the agent's advice. Fine you're better than anyone in camp but every year teams are cutting good OG prospects. Since teams don't run as often, the supply of great OGs far outweigh the demand right now for running offenses. Even guys who are tweeners that can play OG and OT in a pinch. So many are around - and I mean NFL vets with experience. I just don't get the advice from the agent. I just don't.

The only way this makes sense is if Boone has reached a point where he feels at 27 he needs to get a big deal to take care of his family before he moves into his 30s. He's never going to start at OT for this team for at least 5 seasons so maybe he feels he needs to act now and force the 49ers hand for a trade and try to prove himself first as a great OG but also as a OT. This is the only way this move makes sense.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

This is where I don't understand the agent's advice. Fine you're better than anyone in camp but every year teams are cutting good OG prospects. Since teams don't run as often, the supply of great OGs far outweigh the demand right now for running offenses. Even guys who are tweeners that can play OG and OT in a pinch. So many are around - and I mean NFL vets with experience. I just don't get the advice from the agent. I just don't.

The only way this makes sense is if Boone has reached a point where he feels at 27 he needs to get a big deal to take care of his family before he moves into his 30s. He's never going to start at OT for this team for at least 5 seasons so maybe he feels he needs to act now and force the 49ers hand for a trade and try to prove himself first as a great OG but also as a OT. This is the only way this move makes sense.

This makes sense. Maybe he was concerned when he saw the high quality OLinmen drafted and getting Martin in the trade.

Add to that a justifiable concern about injury may have caused some financial insecurity in respect to his family's future.
Well he is now on Reserve/did not report. Does not count against the 90 player limit and will be racking up 30,000 A DAY IN FINES. I say the niners have put their stake in the ground.
Share 49ersWebzone