LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 210 users in the forums

The Alex Boone Thread!!!!!

Shop 49ers game tickets
Damn he isn't THAT good.

Plus he let Richard Shemam taunt Kaepernick.Walked right next to him.
Any holdout won't last for very long. The new CBA made it so they get fined $30,000 for every day missed. Drag that out through TC which is about a month long...they'd be flushing a lot of money down the toilet. Especially more painful to Boone who has a lower salary than VD.
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
Damn he isn't THAT good.

Plus he let Richard Shemam taunt Kaepernick.Walked right next to him.

Ughh this. Should have choke slammed that a*****e for making the choke sign at Kap.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CWin4949:
f**k this punk, we don't negotiate with terrorists...

picked you up off the drunk trash pile and made you a pro bowl player, this isn't how you get $$$ from a franchise that's in the midst of a superbowl run

FU BOONE, see ya chump....

We signed him as a UDFA. Boone has earned his own way ever since.

His hold out has not changed the effort he made to succeed.

I think he will end up playing out his contract with the 49ers.

• buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Any holdout won't last for very long. The new CBA made it so they get fined $30,000 for every day missed. Drag that out through TC which is about a month long...they'd be flushing a lot of money down the toilet. Especially more painful to Boone who has a lower salary than VD.

This makes sense.
This is turning in to the Alex Boone depreciation thread
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by WINiner:
Exactly. He is an adequate starter, but nothing abnormal or special. Boone loses this battle hands down. Niners should trade his ass. Think Baalke can get a 2nd? I bet he can....

Boone is far more valuable than a second round pick, and he is going to play at least two more seasons for us. What possible reason is there to trade him?

Cap space? If I'm Baalke I've already been on the phone assessing his trade value.

I don't want a guy on our OL who is not fully invested in the 49ers. I don't trust that guy and there is too much to lose if he's not giving his all to protect our QB.
Originally posted by AUniner:
Cap space? If I'm Baalke I've already been on the phone assessing his trade value.

I don't want a guy on our OL who is not fully invested in the 49ers. I don't trust that guy and there is too much to lose if he's not giving his all to protect our QB.

His contract is extremely cap friendly.

First of all, how did you determine that he is not fully invested in the 49ers? Second, why does that matter? If he doesn't give his all, it effects HIM more than it effects us. Just like his holdout effects HIM more than it effects us. Therefore, I can see no reason to believe he will not play his best because we have not given him a new contract.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Jul 13, 2014 at 8:39 PM ]
Now suddenly Boone is nothing special no more than a solid starter? some of you know nothing about the position if you believe that. Boone is a top guard in the nfl. The position is so under valued on this forum I swear. Remember how bad rachal was and how we could not stop the double a gap blitz with him in there? Also pretty tired of reading how every late Rd pick is able to step right in at any position as if they're all guaranteed. These guys take years to develop. Look at kilgore. He's nowhere near the player Boone is. Get real folks. I don't like the holdout either but I'm not going to discount the players talent over it. The rhino is a beast.
[ Edited by NinerG94 on Jul 13, 2014 at 8:40 PM ]
Originally posted by NinerG94:
Now suddenly Boone is nothing special no more than a solid starter? some of you know nothing about the position if you believe that. Boone is a top guard in the nfl. The position is so under valued on this forum I swear. Remember how bad rachal was and how we could not stop the double a gap blitz with him in there? Also pretty tired of reading how every late Rd pick is able to step right in at any position as if they're all guaranteed. These guys take years to develop. Look at kilgore. He's nowhere near the player Boone is. Get real folks. I don't like the holdout either but I'm not going to discount the players talent over it. The rhino is a beast.

I completely agree. Well said.

Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by AUniner:

His contract is extremely cap friendly.

First of all, how did you determine that he is not fully invested in the 49ers? Second, why does that matter? If he doesn't give his all, it effects HIM more than it effects us. Just like his holdout effects HIM more than it effects us. Therefore, I can see no reason to believe he will not play his best because we have not given him a new contract.

Agreed, his contract is cap friendly. But cap space is cap space.

If you're holding out you're not 100% invested in your team. That's my opinion. You don't have to agree.

I'm not saying cut or trade him. But if he doesn't want to play ball on our terms I'm more than happy to let him find a team that fits his wants & needs.
Originally posted by facestabber:
Originally posted by NinerG94:

I completely agree. Well said.

I used to believe that if you agreed to a contract that you need to go by it, but after being around football players,its possible that his next play could be his last.

Then what? Tell him to take a hike?

PAY THE MAN!!!!

We need Boone!!

Than what?
Joe Looney can do his job at guard as good as he is. Baalke and the front office wont lose any sleep on him holding out on training camp. It will hurt him more than the team.
I don't have an account for Pro Football Focus so I couldn't directly look at how they ranked Boone. I did a Google search and came up with this article:

http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2014/05/28/san-francisco-49ers-shouldnt-cave-in-to-alex-boones-contract-demands/

Before the 2012 season, he switched positions from tackle to guard and didn't miss a beat. Actually, he excelled at his new position in 2012. According the Pro Football Focus, he ranked as the third best guard in the entire league with a plus-22.9. 2013 wasn't the same story. In 2013 he was 40th out of all guards with a minus-2.1 rating.

I don't imagine the PFF grades are the end-all and be-all of stats in deciding a players worth - and sometimes no stats capture the real value of a player - but that is a pretty steep fall-off. Can anyone verify that this writer is giving a correct account of the PFF grades on Boone for the 2012 and 2013 seasons? If those stats are correct, then maybe Boone's play did fall off a fair amount last year and if so, that has got to hurt his position in negotiating with the team for a big pay raise. As the author of the article cited opines, a much lower performance in 2013 may lead the 9ers management and coaches to want to see another years worth of play before deciding how much value Boone has for the team.

For myself, without knowing the stats and much of how to accurately assess Boone's play, I like Boone and I hope it works out that he gets a contract he likes and the 9ers management can live with.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
they better sign this dude. he's a fkn beast.
Share 49ersWebzone