LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 266 users in the forums

The Alex Boone Thread!!!!!

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Iupati is a better OG than Boone IMO. I think Iupati will command top of the market.

As for Boone, I'm confident in not meeting his salary depends. To me he's an average OG. Also, we have some depth along the line in Snyder and Looney so there's definitely no need to cave.

I could not disagree with you more. Iupati is good for an occasional monster block, but his technique and pad level are inconsistent, and he is often the first source of pressure in pass protection. He lunges far to frequently, and gets beat easily by counter moves and too frequently by speed rushes. I think he is a big name, and that carries you pretty far as an OL, since most people don't know what the OL are doing.

Boone is a good puller and drive blocker, and he is MUCH better at pass pro. He has better feet and a much more disciplined punch. That said, his current tactic is not well received by the 49ers (historically), and we have good depth at his position, with a history of not paying top dollar for guards.

Advantage: 49ers
I concur with the earlier poster's point about the 49ers working out some sort of improved deal with Staley. I think that would send a clear message to Boone and anyone else who thinks that they can get their way by trying to put the team between a rock and a hard place. Baalke can't give in to Boone, he can't and won't allow that precedent to be set so I think in the end, Boone is really only hurting himself. He has no real leverage and while the 49ers could trade him if he doesn't come around, it is possible that they could just let him flutter in the wind and lose salary while missing game after game.

I think he made his point in skipping out on OTA's but he needs to get his butt to training camp otherwise the 49ers will simply just move on without him. With the additional OL depth they've acquired, Boone has even less leverage than he might otherwise have had. He certainly deserves to be paid more but I don't see it coming about as a result of him trying to force the team into doing it. Baalke doesn't seem like the type to blink first in a staring contest.
To piggyback... Staley should be the highest paid player on the line as an All-Pro LT... It should be a hierarchy system, and he's the zenith. Then Davis, then Iupati and Boone can fight it out for the remaining spot.

So renegotiating Staley seems like the first order of business.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I concur with the earlier poster's point about the 49ers working out some sort of improved deal with Staley. I think that would send a clear message to Boone and anyone else who thinks that they can get their way by trying to put the team between a rock and a hard place. Baalke can't give in to Boone, he can't and won't allow that precedent to be set so I think in the end, Boone is really only hurting himself. He has no real leverage and while the 49ers could trade him if he doesn't come around, it is possible that they could just let him flutter in the wind and lose salary while missing game after game.

I think he made his point in skipping out on OTA's but he needs to get his butt to training camp otherwise the 49ers will simply just move on without him. With the additional OL depth they've acquired, Boone has even less leverage than he might otherwise have had. He certainly deserves to be paid more but I don't see it coming about as a result of him trying to force the team into doing it. Baalke doesn't seem like the type to blink first in a staring contest.

Good call.

He sure is getting some BAD advice
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Good call.

He sure is getting some BAD advice

Csnbc reported yesterday he is in no way of showing up to anything without a new contract
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Originally posted by Mr_Niner:
boone as no leverage at all .hes not goin to sit out for 2 years .he will be ready come game time.if he has another good year the niners will be able to use him as trade bait as i doubt they will re sign him and boone

Even if he sits out his contract tolls right? He then still owes the 49ers 2 years of service. You can't accrue another year towards FA sitting at home on the couch. He has no leverage here at all. He can thank DeMaurice Smith for that

Yes. Baalke is probably laughing at this holdout. He knows he has all the leverage here.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Csnbc reported yesterday he is in no way of showing up to anything without a new contract

When God said, "Come forth for brains" Boone came fifth.

Baalke doesn't blink - if worse come to worse what will the FO do?

I don't see them caving in at all.

I know it won't happen BUT what could we realistically get in a trade guy who is a top-tier G and who can play Tackle.
he doesnt make enough money to hold out too long and he has more than 1 yr left on his deal, his holdout wont last long.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

When God said, "Come forth for brains" Boone came fifth.

Baalke doesn't blink - if worse come to worse what will the FO do?

I don't see them caving in at all.

I know it won't happen BUT what could we realistically get in a trade guy who is a top-tier G and who can play Tackle.
Maybe a third? Second?
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by WINiner:
Boone is a fool. We have far too much depth for him to be playing this game of chicken. The Niners have already stated, and proven by their actions, that they do not negotiate with players who are not participating. Period. Frank freaking Gore had to report before the Niners would negotiate. Boone is quickly losing any and all respect because this play makes him look dumb. He has ZERO leverage thanks to the collective bargaining agreement.

ITA

Other than QB, this is the only position on the team where the DEPTH has NFL starting experience (Jonathan Martin and familiar with Harbaugh's offense). I know Looney is the next man up, but even he has to compete. It's just so, so deep here. Sure none may not be as great on opening day as Boone, but that changes over time. Every day he holds out, his competition (and potential replacements) get better. Why wouldn't the 49ers trade a problem player and use that cap space for someone like Iupati? It makes the math for Praag that much easier.

Boone's camp advised Darrel Revis. Newsflash - Boone is not Revis and he's getting a lot of bad advice. It would be one thing if he was starting LT or even RT or even a top 5 dominant guard. Where's the leverage?

Exactly. He is an adequate starter, but nothing abnormal or special. Boone loses this battle hands down. Niners should trade his ass. Think Baalke can get a 2nd? I bet he can....

Originally posted by WINiner:
Exactly. He is an adequate starter, but nothing abnormal or special. Boone loses this battle hands down. Niners should trade his ass. Think Baalke can get a 2nd? I bet he can....

Boone is far more valuable than a second round pick, and he is going to play at least two more seasons for us. What possible reason is there to trade him?
[ Edited by BrianGO on Jul 13, 2014 at 4:41 PM ]
f**k this punk, we don't negotiate with terrorists...

picked you up off the drunk trash pile and made you a pro bowl player, this isn't how you get $$$ from a franchise that's in the midst of a superbowl run

FU BOONE, see ya chump....
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Iupati is a better OG than Boone IMO. I think Iupati will command top of the market.

As for Boone, I'm confident in not meeting his salary depends. To me he's an average OG. Also, we have some depth along the line in Snyder and Looney so there's definitely no need to cave.

I could not disagree with you more. Iupati is good for an occasional monster block, but his technique and pad level are inconsistent, and he is often the first source of pressure in pass protection. He lunges far to frequently, and gets beat easily by counter moves and too frequently by speed rushes. I think he is a big name, and that carries you pretty far as an OL, since most people don't know what the OL are doing.

Boone is a good puller and drive blocker, and he is MUCH better at pass pro. He has better feet and a much more disciplined punch. That said, his current tactic is not well received by the 49ers (historically), and we have good depth at his position, with a history of not paying top dollar for guards.

Advantage: 49ers

I agree with you that Boone is better at pass protection. However I believe Iupati to be considerably better than Boone in the run game, especially when he pulls.
By the way, over/under on the number of days that Boone holds out?

I got it at 7 days.
By the way, over/under on the number of days that Boone holds out?

I got it at 7 days.

I hope you're right, surely he isn't stupid enough to pull some kind of crap like Crabs in his rookie year....
Share 49ersWebzone