There are 263 users in the forums

The Alex Boone Thread!!!!!

Shop 49ers game tickets
We have guys loone and Kilgore who can play guard, we drafted the center this year. We have Martin who can play tackle or guard. So for all I care he can hold out not going to pay him or vd more money.
had this dude landed with anyone else, his drunk butt wouldn't have landed him anywhere but an NFL roster. We were the only team that gave him a shot. Holding out is a cowardly move.

I wish I could go to my boss and said..."I feel like you should pay me more, i'm not coming to work until you do"

We have to stop giving players this leverage. They already get paid to dang much, and most of them end up with less money than a minumum wage blue collar worker at the end of it.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by simplyfloyd:
had this dude landed with anyone else, his drunk butt wouldn't have landed him anywhere but an NFL roster. We were the only team that gave him a shot. Holding out is a cowardly move.

Boone is a ungrateful coward????
Originally posted by buck:
Alex Boone issue about to take next step

http://espn.go.com/blog/san-francisco-49ers/post/_/id/7729/alex-boone-issue-about-to-take-next-step

Here is the first line of the article. Does anyone proofread this stuff?

While Vernon Davis has been out front publicly with his thoughts about his contract, Alex Boone has been not.
Originally posted by simplyfloyd:

I wish I could go to my boss and said..."I feel like you should pay me more, i'm not coming to work until you do"

We have to stop giving players this leverage. They already get paid to dang much, and most of them end up with less money than a minumum wage blue collar worker at the end of it.

I hear you, but let's also stop pretending these athletes are like any working person. He's one of a very small number of humans who can do a very specific job that few people can even begin to do. That's why he has more leverage than your average worker. Just as with Davis, I don't agree with what he's doing because he already makes more than the average offensive lineman, but I don't look at any of these guys as being over-paid. They're entertainers. They get what the market dictates they can get. Fricking Barbara Streisand makes $20 million for a concert in Las Vegas! Is she over-paid? I think so, but so what. She gets what she can get. I think the Niners are a little more likely to re-do Boone's deal than they are Davis' deal just because of the numbers.
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:
Originally posted by Quest4six:
Same here, rather keep Boone as well.
Iupati is going to end up getting a contract twice the size of what Boone wants

Not even close. People think that since Boone was originally an UDFA that he's not going to want a top-NFL-guard contract. That's not true. He won't want quite as much as Iupati would get (because Boone's not as good as Iupati), but Boone is still going to want massive money. Boone is one of the best guards in the NFC, and he's going to get paid like it in 2 years at the most.

If he sits on his ass for two years doing nothing, teams will completely forget that he even exists.

The 49ers have all the leverage. If he thinks he can demand a massive contract with two years remaining on his, he is massively nuts.
I hope we extend him out a year and through a little guaranteed money his way. He's making backup's pay now, which doesn't reflected his value to the Oline.

As a junior, Boone was thought to be a potential 1st round tackle. That didn't pan out, but he's been grinding for us for years. Dude is solid at RG.

I'm not saying we should sign him to a huge deal. I'm assuming he's just looking for a little bump. He's due to make $3.5M total over the next two seasons. For a guy already on the fridge of being a Pro Bowl OG, his contract is way off.
Even with Boone being vastly underpaid trying to show up this front office is suicide. Boone deserves a raise but so does joe Staley and he is a probowl left tackle! Boone has two years left. Play 2014 then push for an extension in 2015. G is not a position that is impossible to replace
Originally posted by strickac:
I hope we extend him out a year and through a little guaranteed money his way. He's making backup's pay now, which doesn't reflected his value to the Oline.

As a junior, Boone was thought to be a potential 1st round tackle. That didn't pan out, but he's been grinding for us for years. Dude is solid at RG.

I'm not saying we should sign him to a huge deal. I'm assuming he's just looking for a little bump. He's due to make $3.5M total over the next two seasons. For a guy already on the fridge of being a Pro Bowl OG, his contract is way off.

Exactly. That bottom line is what separates Boone's situation from Davis' situation. It's far more reasonable for them to consider a raise for Boone than for Davis. Unfortunately, Davis' dick move kind of makes it harder for the team to come to terms with Boone.
There's no money to pay Boone now, or Vernon, either. They obviously don't care...they want to get paid. If you're Baalke you just can't cave into either player. There could be opportunities later this summer...if some vets get cut (likely), but definitely not now. Alex's absence is Looney's opportunity...and I don't see JL blowing it.

Same here, rather keep Boone as well.
Iupati is going to end up getting a contract twice the size of what Boone wants

Not even close. People think that since Boone was originally an UDFA that he's not going to want a top-NFL-guard contract. That's not true. He won't want quite as much as Iupati would get (because Boone's not as good as Iupati), but Boone is still going to want massive money. Boone is one of the best guards in the NFC, and he's going to get paid like it in 2 years at the most.

Lol when Iupati leaves and signs some lucrative deal through FA I am almost willing to bet it is twice the size of Boone's contract.
He is one of the best guards in the NFC on one of the best offensive lines.
If he wants to hold out, go ahead. We've got Looney/Martin and next year we can throw Thomas in the mix
Lol when Iupati leaves and signs some lucrative deal through FA I am almost willing to bet it is twice the size of Boone's contract.
If he wants to hold out, go ahead. We've got Looney/Martin and next year we can throw Thomas in the mix

There are two Martin's - Marcus and Jonathan - both first round talents. I'd like to see them give Boone a bump, but they've obviously been planning on life after Iupati and beefing up the depth, so this problem actually comes at a decent time.

Looney & Martin (Johnathan) suck. So does Kilgore. Marcus Martin will probably start at center.

And Iupati's contract will be twice what Boone makes now, but you said he's get twice the contract Boone wants. And he wants to be paid like a pro bowl caliber guard (which he is).
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
There's no money to pay Boone now, or Vernon, either. They obviously don't care...they want to get paid. If you're Baalke you just can't cave into either player. There could be opportunities later this summer...if some vets get cut (likely), but definitely not now. Alex's absence is Looney's opportunity...and I don't see JL blowing it.

Yup. Even Marcus Martin could push for the guard position. He has some serious talent and played guard a lot in college iirc.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Jun 17, 2014 at 1:31 PM ]
Looney & Martin (Johnathan) suck. So does Kilgore. Marcus Martin will probably start at center.

And Iupati's contract will be twice what Boone makes now, but you said he's get twice the contract Boone wants. And he wants to be paid like a pro bowl caliber guard (which he is).

Jmart is unproven, i'm gonna be optimistic here and hope that he sees some snaps.
If Boone keeps holding out to the regular season M-Mart will not start a center, he will be a guard.

Fine then lol, I am willing to bet Iupati gets Carl Nicks money. I don't even want to pay Boone half that (probably around what he wants), I also think that Boone is intellegent and understands that we would let him walk before giving him that much.
I also think he realizes (lots of optimism here) that we are the team who took a chance on him, bringing him in as an UDFA with his off the field issues was a huge gamble for us that paid off.
Part of me thinks that this is a ploy and he won't hold out after camp, regardless I'm hoping he won't go anywhere else.
Share 49ersWebzone