There are 194 users in the forums

The Alex Boone Thread!!!!!

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
he is pissed because he is only earning a paltry 2 million?lol, he must be back on the sauce. that is a very blue collar, pay to pay check way of looking at it but that is what i do because that is what i am
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Stanley:
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
Boone is playing a dangerous game.. with the new CBA holdouts are pointless. It will just tack on another year to his contract.

He's not playing a dangerous game, he's play the game. He would be stupid if he didn't.

You'll never know if you don't ask.

there is a right way and a wrong way. vernon did it the right way(which may or may not lead to anything) boone has opted to set himself apart from his team mates. i think JH takes a very dim view of that stuff. when Jh STOPS talking about boone,, you know he is about to be a x niner
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by T-9ers:
Asking someone to take a pay cut is different from not honoring a contract. You can't name one time where a team didn't honor a contract because it's against the law. If a team ever breaks a contract, it is because there is specific language in that contract which allows them to do so.

Legal questions get complicated. I am not a lawyer.

I think there is one pretty clear example of a team not honoring a contract.

I am pretty sure that Al Davis and the Raiders have not honored contracts in the past. They refused to pay a coach, Shenanigan I believe---and never did even though the courts ruled against them.

But I would argue that both parties to a contract can sue for completion of the contract or indemnification for violations of the contract.

Boone's hold out, or potential hold, is not a crime.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I admire Boone for his wanting an extension, but it's a real bad time to be asking for more money with our cap situation and everything.
Originally posted by Buchy:
As long as we don't play Snyder I'm happy.

Boone is awesome but he signed his deal, he has no leverage and as pointed out we cannot set a precedent that you hold out and we pay you. That way leads to salary cap chaos.

Boone should be thinking long term, he should shut up, watch Iupati go into FA and negotiate an increased salary based on being our most experience guard.

This!
I think a big deal is being made of all this.

It's just mini-camp people! I'm pretty sure Boone knows he's not going to get a new contract. So just put yourself in his shoes, if you knew you weren't receiving a raise at your job, would you still be motivated?

If he misses training camp then it'll be a bigger deal.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
this dude is way overvaluing himself.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:
please lay out your theory to the niner front office and see what they say. there is a right way and a wrong way to look for a pay hike and holding out when you are under contract, thinking you have some sort of leverage and holding a gun to the head of this regime is not the way to do it. a "morally deformed judgement" is snooty talk when all you had to do is to say, I respectfully disagree with you .. but i guess that would be to simple

Of course, you could also have said, "I respectfully disagree with Boone's holding out", but you didn't.

You argue in terms that seemed moralistic---a right and a wrong way to do things.

I find placing the onus of not honoring a contract solely on the players is morally deformed--the wrong way to look at the conflict.

My remarks have nothing to do with you as a person, but if you choose to take them personally, that is your right.
Originally posted by verb1der:
I think a big deal is being made of all this.

It's just mini-camp people! I'm pretty sure Boone knows he's not going to get a new contract. So just put yourself in his shoes, if you knew you weren't receiving a raise at your job, would you still be motivated?

If he misses training camp then it'll be a bigger deal.

In this case he should be motivated to outperform it again and have even MORE leverage to get more money or go to a team that says OK you're worth more money...

that'll be like brock having a good year and then holding out next year...after we gave him a contract BEFORE he even did great things in this league
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erred:
Now teams can walk away from their contracts, which is their right, but they still are on the hook for guaranteed money.

You mentioned that players have the right to hold out, they do, but they will get fined and not earn their game checks if they do not show up. The teams have all the leverage at this point, Boone is not a FA, and he will delay him ever hitting free agency if he holds out. The Niners OWN his rights for two more seasons.

If Boone retires and un retires, the Niners still OWN or have his rights for two more seasons.

The Player, in this case Boone, has zero leverage. Especially with a roster that is deep on the OL.

From you,

1. He could be fined- he will be, and losing 120,000 out of a 1.8 million is a lot.
2. He could be traded- could happen, but doubt it.
3. Could be cut- zero percent chance of happening
4. He could get new contract- I have no clue
5. He could retire- zero chance of this, as he obviously is motivated by money.

I pretty much agree with the above, although I do not think I mentioned anything about retiring.

As I said, if Boone holds out, he has to accept the responsibility for doing so and all of the ramifications that come with a hold out.

I never said that holding out was a smart choice.

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by buck:
please lay out your theory to the niner front office and see what they say. there is a right way and a wrong way to look for a pay hike and holding out when you are under contract, thinking you have some sort of leverage and holding a gun to the head of this regime is not the way to do it. a "morally deformed judgement" is snooty talk when all you had to do is to say, I respectfully disagree with you .. but i guess that would be to simple

Of course, you could also have said, "I respectfully disagree with Boone's holding out", but you didn't.

You argue in terms that seemed moralistic---a right and a wrong way to do things.

I find placing the onus of not honoring a contract solely on the players is morally deformed--the wrong way to look at the conflict.

My remarks have nothing to do with you as a person, but if you choose to take them personally, that is your right.

buck, you are a funny guy i was going to look up the word "onus" but i do not have time so I will just say, you sign a contract to be at work or you even verbally say you will be at work at 8am every day, you honor that. not sure what is so wrong with being black and white about going to work when you say you will and honoring your word whether it is written or spoken form. I am sorry if you find this morally corrupt or deformed but it will not be the first time we agree to disagree
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jonesadrian:
In this case he should be motivated to outperform it again and have even MORE leverage to get more money or go to a team that says OK you're worth more money...

that'll be like brock having a good year and then holding out next year...after we gave him a contract BEFORE he even did great things in this league

trust, me,,, with his little hold out hissy fit, once a kid starts to look good in practice in his place he will get back here quicker than s**t through a goose
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:
this dude is way overvaluing himself.

i think this is the smartest and most to the point thing I have seen on this yet!
If Boone is a no-show for the minicamp he just may find someone will jump ahead of him on the depth chart. If he thinks staying away will get him where he wants to go, he's mistaken, IMHO. You snooze, you lose. I'd say Looney could be the man to take his place.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by buck:

buck, you are a funny guy i was going to look up the word "onus" but i do not have time so I will just say, you sign a contract to be at work or you even verbally say you will be at work at 8am every day, you honor that. not sure what is so wrong with being black and white about going to work when you say you will and honoring your word whether it is written or spoken form. I am sorry if you find this morally corrupt or deformed but it will not be the first time we agree to disagree

OK. We disagree.

It is funny, but I stopped going to work at my last job here in Chile. I had a contract and I refused to go to work.

Not only that I also felt that the company still owed me everything in the contract--severance pay and unpaid vacation pay, in particular.

I sued the company for a constructive discharge and won.

I has been two years and I still have not been paid all the money that the court awarded me. I did get my severance pay and vacation pay, but I am still owed around $3,000 dollars, and I am not going to get it.
Share 49ersWebzone