LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 246 users in the forums

The Alex Boone Thread!!!!!

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
The 49ers will not bend on his contract. That will send a bad message to all vets. Let him sit out the year if he wants. Looney would do fine. Or even Marcus Martin. Or if MM wins the job over Kilgore, Kilgore could play for boone.

So you think the backups will have us not skip a beat? 3 players with maybe 50 snaps between them replacing a pro bowl talent...?

I think we have great depth, but some people overrate that depth.

Exactly.

From what I have read: Boone, VD, Gore, Hunter, Miller, Bowman, and Iupati can just be replaced by our great depth. I've never seen that many probowlers replaced by backups on one team, and not take a major step backwards. The next man up isnt always better. We have great emergency fill in depth, not long term replacement depth.
Exactly.

From what I have read: Boone, VD, Gore, Hunter, Miller, Bowman, and Iupati can just be replaced by our great depth. I've never seen that many probowlers replaced by backups on one team, and not take a major step backwards. The next man up isnt always better. We have great emergency fill in depth, not long term replacement depth.

Of the guys listed above I think only VD & Bowman are truly irreplaceable. Gore 3 years ago too but the time is now for the young guys to step up. Not replace just yet but the king needs a heir...

The rest I think we would still do well without.
Boone could be home a long time. This situations always get worked out somehow. Some faster than others
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by NinerGM:
I think the Boone situation is potentially more serious, as Davis has told reporters he could report to the mandatory minicamp. It is my understanding that Boone remains steadfast that he will not return to the team until he gets a new contract. Of course, everything is fluid in situations like this.

http://espn.go.com/blog/san-francisco-49ers/post/_/id/7391/thoughts-on-boone-davis-potential-holdouts

the hell with boon
The draft-picks/acquisitions often clue us in on perceived player value.

Boone, Iupati, Vernon, Gore and Crabtree. Value down. More receiving targets and most likely less dependence on Crabtree, will drive their receiving numbers down (and value at contract negotiation time).

Acquiring Jonathan Martin (he started in Miami), Marcus Martin & Brandon Thomas, speaks volumes. Guys irreplaceable last year are arguably replaceable in the near future.

It will be hard to argue in favor of Gore will earn his salary this year, let alone justify new big money. Between age and 2 top notch RBs taking his carries away (also Hunter / LMJ).

But Kap??? His value grew (value = cost to replace). We have no alternative.
Exactly.

I don't think anyone is saying that they are all going to be replaced. But we have to accept that unless our QB decides to play for peanuts, they aren't all going to be able to stay either.

Boone, I believe, will reach an agreement and be back. If he doesn't link what is on offer I do believe he is replaceable with only short term problems although this will cut into our depth.

VD is not replaceable. What I think will have to happen here is a restructuring of the O to remove some of the emphasis on the TE and emphasise more the receivers and possibly pass catching rb's and fb's.

Gore is going to have to be replaced and that was, hopefully, done in the draft this year. As anno domini continues, the effects will sooner or later be felt.

Not sure why Hunter is on the list. Much as I like him I consider him highly replaceable. I would prefer he stays but if he walks at the end of his contract, there will be little or no pain.

I haven't heard anyone talking about losing Miller or replacing him.

Mike Iupati, due largely to injury I believe, has not performed up to his potential of late. Hopefully things will improve this season but right now he is certainly replaceable at his current level.

I haven't heard anyone talking of replacing Bowman. Only of temporarily filling the void until he returns.

But bearing in mind most of the depth is youth, and the drafting looks good right now, given time they will step into the shoes of Pro Bowlers and some of them will become Pro Bowlers themselves.
I think the Boone situation is potentially more serious, as Davis has told reporters he could report to the mandatory minicamp. It is my understanding that Boone remains steadfast that he will not return to the team until he gets a new contract. Of course, everything is fluid in situations like this.

http://espn.go.com/blog/san-francisco-49ers/post/_/id/7391/thoughts-on-boone-davis-potential-holdouts

gonna need a thread title name change to dis-appreciation thread lol
Boone will be ready to go to war when the season opens.

NOT worried at all.

He's come to far both professionally and on a personal level.

I'm sure they're talking behind the scenes.
One thing we know is our front office won't be bullied. You have two years left on the deal you've signed so play and let's talk in 2015 or sit home like Crabtree did and watch
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
One thing we know is our front office won't be bullied. You have two years left on the deal you've signed so play and let's talk in 2015 or sit home like Crabtree did and watch

I don't like the idea of caving in to "bullying" either, but it still makes sense to extend Boone. Give him a signing bonus, and prorate it, we will have money with Gore, Crabs, Iupati and J Smith coming off the books in the near future.

Originally posted by BrianGO:
I don't like the idea of caving in to "bullying" either, but it still makes sense to extend Boone. Give him a signing bonus, and prorate it, we will have money with Gore, Crabs, Iupati and J Smith coming off the books in the near future.

But you know perception is everything. By right Boone should get more but the team probably won't do it now until 2015 because of all the drama being stirred up. Have a good season and come to the table in 2015
Per a source with knowledge of the situation, Boone does not intend to report for the three-day session.

Sure, it'll cost nearly $70,000 if Boone doesn't show up at any point during the minicamp. But Boone is serious about getting a new deal, and the only leverage he can muster comes from withholding services.

Boone is due to earn a paltry base salary of $2 million, along with a roster bonus of $200,000. He already has forfeited a $50,000 workout bonus by staying away from the offseason program.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/12/alex-boone-unlikely-to-show-up-for-mandatory-minicamp/

Yah... I don't want to get into a game of chicken with Baalke. Boone is awesome, but this team has a LOT of talent right now at OG.

It is simple. Boone has NO leverage right now and we don't want to set a bad precedent here. You don't punk us. Not with the way we are built and not with 2 seasons left on a deal. We should begin plugging and playing other folk at G and let Boone go through what Crabtree went through until he reports for duty where he would have to earn his spot at G again over his replacement. Now after this season is up we should seriously evaluate whether we need to extend him and give him the proper raise and strike that deal if possible but if not he can play it out and leave and we can replace him. Hell, Kap took a modest deal to make room for others and those others need to prove it on the field not by holding out damaging the team. I have nothing against Boone wanting to be paid right but I would have a problem if we got punked here. Boone should voice his displeasure and then hit the field with his teammates in the mandatory sessions so that he can be there for his teammates and help them prepare towards achieving the team goal of the Super Bowl. I am most certain health permitting Boone will get paid whether here or there in time but we don't need to reward players for holding out. Never! I prefer Kap's attitude. He said that no matter what his agent and the front office was doing "he was playing football"
Plus I like our situation. We have capable replacements being groomed to take over after 2015 and IF we can't pay Boone we are near certain to recoup a third round comp pick in 2017 after the third round comp pick we will get for Iupati. We would have turned an undrafted G into a stud starter AND a third round comp pick. Iupati will probably just be a casualty of the deal we give Crabtree or the other way around. Heck we might flip them all for third round comps but I hope not
[ Edited by Pillbusta on Jun 13, 2014 at 12:12 AM ]
what a chump
"Boone is due to earn a paltry base salary of $2 million, along with a roster bonus of $200,000."

Paltry! There's a guy who needs to get out more.
Share 49ersWebzone