There are 264 users in the forums

The Alex Boone Thread!!!!!

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by cciowa:
sorry, meant to say somehow. I guess i was just a little stunned about his comments in regards to race

Greed comes about in all races of people. Perceptions however oftentimes differ depending on race as far as some folk are concerned. I think that for the most part as 49er fans we tend to take things on a case by case basis and we tend not to generalize based on things such as race. No one rode Gore for his one day holdout because regardless of whether he was black or not we all knew how devoted he was to this team. I think that folk rode Crabtree because he had done nothing here yet and before he could play one down he was looking to get payed higher than his draft slotting. I doubt folks anger was fueled by Crabtree's race. Most all of our WRs have been black recently but most signed shortly after they had been drafted as well
[ Edited by Pillbusta on May 28, 2014 at 6:04 PM ]
The 49ers will not bend on his contract. That will send a bad message to all vets. Let him sit out the year if he wants. Looney would do fine. Or even Marcus Martin. Or if MM wins the job over Kilgore, Kilgore could play for boone.
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
The 49ers will not bend on his contract. That will send a bad message to all vets. Let him sit out the year if he wants. Looney would do fine. Or even Marcus Martin. Or if MM wins the job over Kilgore, Kilgore could play for boone.

1. It doesn't send a bad message to vets. The 49ers message will be honor your contract and work hard and we will look after you where we can.

2. No one is sitting out the season. OTA's are mostly not mandatory. Also, the CBA makes it near impossible for a player to actually hold out as their funds are drained away.
I find myself not appreciating Alex Boone atm
i can not believe,, well actually i can nowadays,, that race has someone made its way into this story

sorry, meant to say somehow. I guess i was just a little stunned about his comments in regards to race

Honestly, so was i!!
Originally posted by Pillbusta:

Greed comes about in all races of people. Perceptions however oftentimes differ depending on race as far as some folk are concerned. I think that for the most part as 49er fans we tend to take things on a case by case basis and we tend not to generalize based on things such as race. No one rode Gore for his one day holdout because regardless of whether he was black or not we all knew how devoted he was to this team. I think that folk rode Crabtree because he had done nothing here yet and before he could play one down he was looking to get payed higher than his draft slotting. I doubt folks anger was fueled by Crabtree's race. Most all of our WRs have been black recently but most signed shortly after they had been drafted as well

True dat! The majority of everyone said pay the man!!! With gores payday hold out.....
Originally posted by AUniner:

1. It doesn't send a bad message to vets. The 49ers message will be honor your contract and work hard and we will look after you where we can.

2. No one is sitting out the season. OTA's are mostly not mandatory. Also, the CBA makes it near impossible for a player to actually hold out as their funds are drained away.

I think he meant it would send a bad message if they did bend on his contract, which they will not.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:

I think he meant it would send a bad message if they did bend on his contract, which they will not.

I see that now.. my bad
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:

Yes that is what I meant thanks. Sorry I should of clarified.

It would be nice to extend his contact, at a good value. He can make more money, and we can lock him up for more years.
It's just ironic to me that a guy wants more money so he forfeits a workout bonus to try and a prove a point?
It's just ironic to me that a guy wants more money so he forfeits a workout bonus to try and a prove a point?

It gets media attention, which puts more pressure on the team to sign him. It's an old tactic the agents use.
He won't skip the mandatory stuff, he just wants to make a small statement that he would like a new contract. Didn't Frank Gore do this too at some point?

It's not a big deal.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Bad move by Boone, he should have waited until next year to pull this s**t.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
It gets media attention, which puts more pressure on the team to sign him. It's an old tactic the agents use.
He won't skip the mandatory stuff, he just wants to make a small statement that he would like a new contract. Didn't Frank Gore do this too at some point?

It's not a big deal.

Gore did this prior to his last season under contract and then I believe his holdout lasted all of one or a couple of days. His agent advised him to do it but Gore being Gore couldn't go through with it. He came back to the team and we extended him anyway thereafter. Bone has two years left so I feel this is a bit early to do pull this stunt. Next offseason would have been the time IMO. I think he just wants to be here. Who wouldn't?
Share 49ersWebzone