LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 274 users in the forums

The Alex Boone Thread!!!!!

Shop 49ers game tickets
All I know is that we will have a new C and RG. I can foresee our pass blocking having issues.
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Originally posted by Joecool:
All I know is that we will have a new C and RG. I can foresee our pass blocking having issues.

Pass blocking?

• It's a little early to declare Boone out for the year
  • Goodwin was a pile and the weakest link on our o-line. Addition by subtraction.
  • Looney only meaningful experience was a game he came in unexpectedly and allowed ZERO QB pressures.

Enough with the chicken little b******t.

Even if Boone decides not to hold out, he may not be ready right away.

Not Chicken Little. Realistically, the C and RG are unproven players so odds are more likely it will take them some time to get acclimated into playing well, if they do at all at those positions. Our pass blocking was already inconsistent. I'm not very happy with Kilgore and whatever RG we insert.
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Yeah, Goodwin was not a particularly good lineman at anything other than snapping the ball last year. Weak link in pas protection and run blocking.
^^^^ Drawing premature conclusions - great fun! Gets the juices flowing!

Pass blocking?

• It's a little early to declare Boone out for the year
  • Goodwin was a pile and the weakest link on our o-line. Addition by subtraction.
  • Looney only meaningful experience was a game he came in unexpectedly and allowed ZERO QB pressures.

Enough with the chicken little b******t.

Not Chicken Little. Realistically, the C and RG are unproven players so odds are more likely it will take them some time to get acclimated into playing well, if they do at all at those positions. Our pass blocking was already inconsistent. I'm not very happy with Kilgore and whatever RG we insert.

It is chicken little, because we've played one friggin' preseason game. Maybe you can wait until after our third preseason game before you start to worry, considering there's no evidence one way or the other to worry. It's really not that far away to patiently await the sky to start falling.

Like I said, Goodwin sucked. Kilgore has been waiting in the wings and soaking up the system. Might he suck too? Who knows, but let's not start labeling him a failure before he even gets a chance to show his worth. The same goes for Looney.

And Boone will eventually show up. He'll be showcasing himself for his next contract by week 8 at the worst. If he's not up to task, then he's shooting himself in the foot. Either way, plenty of dudes maintain their shape when out with injury or whatever. Again, it's a negative view of a situation you have no knowledge to judge. I'd just say we should wait and see, but that's not the NT way.

We shall see. Not much confidence in Kilgore as a Center. Looney...let's hope he stands strong during these trial games.
We shall see. Not much confidence in Kilgore as a Center. Looney...let's hope he stands strong during these trial games.

Kilgore would have to work real hard to be as bad as Goodwin was at pass protection. I think the line might be a little better at pass protection this year and a little less able to knock guys back on running plays.

One of the main reasons our pass blocking was bad was because of Boone (only player on the line graded negatively) sure their will be growing pains...why aren't you happy with Kilgore? He is a step up from Goodwin
Originally posted by ubaisore:
All of the speculation in this thread is interesting to read. There are two schools of thought here and it is amazing to watch it polarize...
1) He signed a contract and should honor
2) He has the right to ask for a raise

I think that the NFL is much more complicated than that. Yes he signed a contract. However, that contract could be made null by the team each year. When it was signed, it was while he was going to prove himself. That is a plus for the Niners as they gave him a chance. On the flip side, Boone has been a model player who worked hard to improve himself as a person and a player. Plus for Boone.

The difficult part is that the NFL is a short tenure job and the chance of having a career ending injury is high. I can understand the Niners wanting to conserve cap space, etc but I can also see where he wants to increase his earnings before an injury occurs.

That is why the situation has become what it is. The good news is that it hasn't gone public with either side making grand statements. Hopefully they can reach a middle ground where he feels financially covered and the team can justify the cost. I think it is clear he is being underpaid for his performance. If it was a guaranteed contract, I would be firmly in the "play it out" camp, but with the risk of injury, I do have some understanding of why he is holding out.

This is simple....show up and they'll negotiate and he'll probably get a better contract or at least not lose more money until his current one expires. Not show up? Well, more of the same....fines and more fines and get nowhere. Again, not rocket science.
Originally posted by WINiner:
The arguments about what he was offered and dismissed are again based on speculation. While I agree that it is in the best interests of the 49ers to not give in to holdouts (and I think it is a good strategy as well), the points about how it works businesswise are not correct. Sure, we have 2 years leverage on him and there is the chance that he has to make ZERO for those two years. The truth of the matter is that he could be a good starting left tackle in the NFL. That means that while the 49ers could "teach him a lesson", they would be losing some value as well. Again, my point is that there are two sides to this and I don't believe either are 100% correct. (not sure if I made that clear earlier).

Boone (assumption) needs to earn money. The 49ers can definitely use a very good starting guard who also has the capability to slide to tackle and perform well. My hope is that the two sides will talk, do some kind of deal that allows him to come back and sign a deal after so the team isn't giving in to a holdout. I don't see the Niners just signing him to come in and I don't see him playing out his contract as is. Sucks, but that is the reality. I see merit to both sides. If NFL contracts were guaranteed, I would be calling for his head.

Boone is not starting at LT in the next 2 years unless Staley is injured. He is a starting guard and will be happy with a top 8-15 contract or he should play out his current contract and then move on.

What bothers about the way Boone is going about this is the fact the Niners took a chance on him when he clearly had alcohol problems coming out of OSU. He went undrafted and we signed him and made him earn his spot. Of course Baalke recognizes his improved play but just like we took a chance signing him then he should do the same and come in to work and demand the raise.
alex boone-head

• KID9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 951NINER:
The arguments about what he was offered and dismissed are again based on speculation. While I agree that it is in the best interests of the 49ers to not give in to holdouts (and I think it is a good strategy as well), the points about how it works businesswise are not correct. Sure, we have 2 years leverage on him and there is the chance that he has to make ZERO for those two years. The truth of the matter is that he could be a good starting left tackle in the NFL. That means that while the 49ers could "teach him a lesson", they would be losing some value as well. Again, my point is that there are two sides to this and I don't believe either are 100% correct. (not sure if I made that clear earlier).

Boone (assumption) needs to earn money. The 49ers can definitely use a very good starting guard who also has the capability to slide to tackle and perform well. My hope is that the two sides will talk, do some kind of deal that allows him to come back and sign a deal after so the team isn't giving in to a holdout. I don't see the Niners just signing him to come in and I don't see him playing out his contract as is. Sucks, but that is the reality. I see merit to both sides. If NFL contracts were guaranteed, I would be calling for his head.

Boone is not starting at LT in the next 2 years unless Staley is injured. He is a starting guard and will be happy with a top 8-15 contract or he should play out his current contract and then move on.

What bothers about the way Boone is going about this is the fact the Niners took a chance on him when he clearly had alcohol problems coming out of OSU. He went undrafted and we signed him and made him earn his spot. Of course Baalke recognizes his improved play but just like we took a chance signing him then he should do the same and come in to work and demand the raise.

Not sure if it's been posted but Jim Miller and Pat Kirwan were at Niners training camp on the13th and said that it hasn't been reported but the Niners made Boone an offer to be around the 14th highest paid guard and he refused. They also criticized his holdout saying that he's hurting his stock more than anything else. And if the fines keep adding up, he could end up playing for nothing this year.
Originally posted by KID9R:
Originally posted by 951NINER:

Not sure if it's been posted but Jim Miller and Pat Kirwan were at Niners training camp on the13th and said that it hasn't been reported but the Niners made Boone an offer to be around the 14th highest paid guard and he refused. They also criticized his holdout saying that he's hurting his stock more than anything else. And if the fines keep adding up, he could end up playing for nothing this year.

All I know is that it's getting late in the game. If he doesn't show up by the end of the 3rd week of preseason then consider him gone or benched for a while.
Boone is clearly a key part of the OLine, there is no denying that. He is a good player, and is needed. Now, if he does not make it back to the team, I'm not sure if we can sit here and say that everything will be ok. Once someone steps up and proves that they can fill in that position efficiently, that's a diff story at that point.
Time will tell.
Originally posted by crake49:
Kilgore would have to work real hard to be as bad as Goodwin was at pass protection. I think the line might be a little better at pass protection this year and a little less able to knock guys back on running plays.

This seems right to me. While Boone was a very strong blocker, there seemed to be a lack of sync between the guards and center. Kilgore may be much better working with Iupati and Looney/Boone. As I've mentioned before, the oline usually takes longer to jell.
Originally posted by 49ersking:
Boone is clearly a key part of the OLine, there is no denying that. He is a good player, and is needed. Now, if he does not make it back to the team, I'm not sure if we can sit here and say that everything will be ok. Once someone steps up and proves that they can fill in that position efficiently, that's a diff story at that point.
Time will tell.

I would like to have Boone back, however, I am not that worried about getting him back. He's the best at his position right now but remember we went to the NFC championship game in '11 with Snyder at RG. I think Looney is an upgrade over Snyder. Plus, we are way more talented this year over all.
Share 49ersWebzone