LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 175 users in the forums

The Alex Boone Thread!!!!!

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ubaisore:
The arguments about what he was offered and dismissed are again based on speculation. While I agree that it is in the best interests of the 49ers to not give in to holdouts (and I think it is a good strategy as well), the points about how it works businesswise are not correct. Sure, we have 2 years leverage on him and there is the chance that he has to make ZERO for those two years. The truth of the matter is that he could be a good starting left tackle in the NFL. That means that while the 49ers could "teach him a lesson", they would be losing some value as well. Again, my point is that there are two sides to this and I don't believe either are 100% correct. (not sure if I made that clear earlier).

Boone (assumption) needs to earn money. The 49ers can definitely use a very good starting guard who also has the capability to slide to tackle and perform well. My hope is that the two sides will talk, do some kind of deal that allows him to come back and sign a deal after so the team isn't giving in to a holdout. I don't see the Niners just signing him to come in and I don't see him playing out his contract as is. Sucks, but that is the reality. I see merit to both sides. If NFL contracts were guaranteed, I would be calling for his head.
<yawn> that's pretty much everybody has been saying if you would have taken the effort to read the thread a little more.
I thought I would save everyone rereading it :) Thanks for the help though...you make the internet a better place
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Come to work, ask for a raise, a*****e.
The arguments about what he was offered and dismissed are again based on speculation. While I agree that it is in the best interests of the 49ers to not give in to holdouts (and I think it is a good strategy as well), the points about how it works businesswise are not correct. Sure, we have 2 years leverage on him and there is the chance that he has to make ZERO for those two years. The truth of the matter is that he could be a good starting left tackle in the NFL. That means that while the 49ers could "teach him a lesson", they would be losing some value as well. Again, my point is that there are two sides to this and I don't believe either are 100% correct. (not sure if I made that clear earlier).

Boone (assumption) needs to earn money. The 49ers can definitely use a very good starting guard who also has the capability to slide to tackle and perform well. My hope is that the two sides will talk, do some kind of deal that allows him to come back and sign a deal after so the team isn't giving in to a holdout. I don't see the Niners just signing him to come in and I don't see him playing out his contract as is. Sucks, but that is the reality. I see merit to both sides. If NFL contracts were guaranteed, I would be calling for his head.

Boone is not starting at LT in the next 2 years unless Staley is injured. He is a starting guard and will be happy with a top 8-15 contract or he should play out his current contract and then move on.
  • obx49
  • Veteran
I hope he comes back soon before its too late and risks a chance of injury. Even if he's working out on his own it is nothing like live action.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Chief:
Come to work, ask for a raise, a*****e.

that's all Baalke is asking for. Having said that, what will Boone settle for? He's reputedly been offered top 15 guard salary, and if that's not good enough for him, his only choice is to be traded and paid top 15 Left Tackle salary.
He's just throwing a tantrum now. He'll be back
I believe he knows exactly what he is doing. He want to be traded and land a LT type contract with another team. He (or at least his agent) has to know the 49ers would not negotiate while he is holding out, and how Baalke covets draft picks. I believe this is a calculated strategy. The question is, will it work?
Originally posted by BrianGO:
All of the speculation in this thread is interesting to read. There are two schools of thought here and it is amazing to watch it polarize...
1) He signed a contract and should honor
2) He has the right to ask for a raise

I think that the NFL is much more complicated than that. Yes he signed a contract. However, that contract could be made null by the team each year. When it was signed, it was while he was going to prove himself. That is a plus for the Niners as they gave him a chance. On the flip side, Boone has been a model player who worked hard to improve himself as a person and a player. Plus for Boone.

The difficult part is that the NFL is a short tenure job and the chance of having a career ending injury is high. I can understand the Niners wanting to conserve cap space, etc but I can also see where he wants to increase his earnings before an injury occurs.

That is why the situation has become what it is. The good news is that it hasn't gone public with either side making grand statements. Hopefully they can reach a middle ground where he feels financially covered and the team can justify the cost. I think it is clear he is being underpaid for his performance. If it was a guaranteed contract, I would be firmly in the "play it out" camp, but with the risk of injury, I do have some understanding of why he is holding out.

Part of what you are saying is right.

That is why we offered him a TOP 15 salary extension. He turned it down because it is not EXACTLY what he is worth. OF COURSE it is not exactly what he is worth, but that is not the point.
The point is that Boone CANNOT be paid what he is worth, with two years of leverage on our side. It is pure business logic. I don't want to have to explain why this is. It should be pretty self evident.

It's like you negotiate with a pawn shop. The pawn shop might want to preserve a good reputation. They don't want to completely screw people over, because then news will spread that they are a dishonest pawn shop.
So a customer walks in with some jewelry, he say's, "I'll sell this to you for $100 dollars." The pawn shop owner says, "I can't do that, because I know it is worth a lot more than that, so I'll pay you $2,000 dollars."
Then the customer, realizing the value of the jewelry says, "Well, how about $3,000?"

THAT is exactly what Alex Boone is doing. He was offered a contract, signed it, because it was a LOT more than he was making on his UFA contract. He didn't KNOW that he would become such a good NFL player, so he was glad to sign a contract that is the equivalent for a backup type of player.
But he also outplayed THAT contract too. So now he wants an IMMEDIATE pay raise as a result of outplaying his second contract. The 49ers agreed, so they offered him a VERY reasonable extension. Boone turned down the offer, "I am worth more than that now." YES BOONE, you are worth more than that, but guess what? You didn't KNOW you would be worth that much when you signed your second NFL contract, because of that, the team you are playing for has LEVERAGE on you.
They use this leverage as a way of offering you a nice contract, but still a below market contract. THAT IS HOW IT WORKS BOONE. You knucklehead.
The 49ers were kind enough to acknowledge the fact that you are not worth $100, but rather $2000 dollars, and it is a really PUNK move to demand $3000 dollars, while under contract for two more years.

There will be no capitulation. You will sell the jewelry for $2000 to the fair pawn shop owner, and you will be HAPPY that he acknowledged the fact that you are worth more than $100 dollars, and be GRATEFUL for his offer.

I love this analogy. I don't think that crowd that feels Baalke should give in to Boone fully understands. When your really think about it, very few 49ers if any at all (save for Vernon Davis) are paid what they are worth. It's just not feasible to do that with the NFL salary cap AND to have the amount of talent that we have. So players are going to have to make a decision. Do you want to be paid exactly what you are worth, as set by the market, which probably means more money. Or do you take a reasonable deal from the 49ers and be in the hunt for Super Bowls year in and out? There are certain players who IMO have already chosen option B. Joe Staley is a striking example of this. Patrick Willis comes to mind as well. Who can forget Frank Gore? Remember when we had his near 1700 yard season in 2006? He at the time, like so many others, could've demanded top dollar. But instead he took a fair deal. No player is obligated to do this, but each one makes their own choice as to where they stand.
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
I believe he knows exactly what he is doing. He want to be traded and land a LT type contract with another team. He (or at least his agent) has to know the 49ers would not negotiate while he is holding out, and how Baalke covets draft picks. I believe this is a calculated strategy. The question is, will it work?

Agreed. He either wants to play LT (slide Staley over to RT) or he wants to play RT and slide Davis inside to RG. This way he can make more money and he knows he has the skill set to play T and probably is better equipped there TBH. I don't think he wants to leave this team. That said, it sure seems like he's more than willing to go play T somewhere on a T contract.

Originally posted by kaeptosherm:
We should offer Boone around 6-7mill and he should take it

"We"?
Originally posted by English:
"We"?

dont be that guy..
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
"We"?

dont be that guy..

The guy who pulls up a Seahawks fan for pretending to be one of us? That guy?
"We"?

dont be that guy..

his name is kaeptosherm....its justified
"We"?

dont be that guy..

Share 49ersWebzone