There are 177 users in the forums

The Alex Boone Thread!!!!!

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Joecool:
Even if he still has to play out the contract after he sits out, he is useless to us if he sits out. So far, the person replacing him hasn't looked nearly as good as he has. Let's say he is still holding out after game 3. At that point, the team will need to make a decision to give him a better contract or trade him. Letting him sit is a lose-lose situation for both sides.

Honestly, I don't blame him. The 49ers saw the talent he had and offered him a deal. He wasn't starting and did not have the game tape of him starting to demand a higher deal. In all honesty, one can say the 49ers are doing the players dirty with these early extensions. They know the player looks like he's going to have a breakout year so they lock him in cheap.

I think Boone has completely outplayed his current contract. I also think SF will not reward him until before his final year. They did T Brown dirty also.

One could also say if Boone had confidence in himself, he should have not taken the deal and waited a year so his value is worth more. History of this office has shown they don't bend...so why should Boone. Sometimes, this front office needs to meet in the middle and take care of their players.

Did Brown dirty. The team and Brown both honored the contract! Brown chose to skip workouts to better himself for his own free agency. That wasn't a team move. The team didn't notify brown of his forfeited cash nor did his agent. That wasn't a player friendly move. The team GAVE brown a Christmas bonus of $300k. That was a player friendly move. They offered brown the deal Brock accepted and he declined. Those were business moves. Its business! For player and owner in the case of t Brown.

With Boone he has lost. He has lost $900k already holding out. He ain't getting traded and he has to play by November or else he has two more years of this sh**! He better report and play or he is going to owe the 49ers money. He has lost!
Originally posted by random49er:
Joecool,.....live up to your name bro.

If he wants to sit out till he's 31 and try to make a come back, let him.

"And we get nothing" --- why do you not understand that what we will get is an example set so we dont have to face this problem with much more important players??

Saying we get nothing is shortsighted. Just stay cool and let the situation develop; worry about the other 53 players that will be on the roster if Boone choosing to quit football is too much for your heart.

Very well stated! Would hate to lose Boone but the team has to maintain control.
Another thing I keep hearing is the already-signed player "deserves a better contract." Why doesnt this apply to everyday people that are hurt financially with credit cards, cars, houses, and other financial decisions that "deserve" better? Why do everyday people not have the ability to get out of a contract, yet a millionaire deserves it?

The truth is there's a salary cap,....so if the 49ers have a bunch of highly regarded players, they cant pay everyone what they "deserve." Guys getting what they deserve is a CBA issue, not a 49er issue.

Otherwise, what should we do at that point then?

Should we let the guys that "deserve" better contracts out of them so they can go to other teams that dont have the depth we do?

And if so, then what the hell is Baalke being paid for to begin with?

We might as well give up competing with the 31 other teams if our goal is to give players what they deserve instead of trying to maximize talent given a cut off amount.
[ Edited by random49er on Aug 14, 2014 at 1:55 PM ]
I think Boone is making a very good business decision. It would not be smart for him to play out his contract until he's 29 years old. At 29, he probably only has 2 top level years in him and teams will also know this so Boone won't get the type of contract his play has earned. And, if he does play like a top OL, SF will not resign him for a long contract at age 29 or 30.

It would be beneficial for the 49ers to reup him for 5 years and have him for the prime of his career. It will be more money now but will benefit the team in 3 years.

It would be different if we had a capable backup as we do with most positions...but it doesn't look that way.
I think Boone is making a very good business decision. It would not be smart for him to play out his contract until he's 29 years old. At 29, he probably only has 2 top level years in him and teams will also know this so Boone won't get the type of contract his play has earned. And, if he does play like a top OL, SF will not resign him for a long contract at age 29 or 30.

It would be beneficial for the 49ers to reup him for 5 years and have him for the prime of his career. It will be more money now but will benefit the team in 3 years.

It would be different if we had a capable backup as we do with most positions...but it doesn't look that way.

He should not have signed his current deal then. He put pen to paper, and thereby lost all leverage at the back end of that deal.
Originally posted by Bluesbro:

He should not have signed his current deal then. He put pen to paper, and thereby lost all leverage at the back end of that deal.

Easier said than done. Other than not signing, he had no leverage back then and the team knew what he was going to bring. He didn't even know if he was going to start so of course he's going to take the deal.

SF has insider information. When they know they are going to start a young player, they try to lock him up before allowing him the opportunity to play for a higher deal. The player doesn't know the plan the team has for him in terms of production and playing time. Especially a young player.

In the long run, SF will look like the bad guy. Either way, business is business which is why I don't blame Boone for holding out.
Originally posted by Bluesbro:

This, and holding out until he is 29 and making no money does less for his financial situation than playing for $2MM a year until he's 29. No one did him dirty but himself. If he had the confidence in himself that he'd blow up, he'd have declined the deal, earned the starting spot, then either cashed in on FA or signed a starter's extension with the 49ers. He accepted early financial security at the expense of maximum earning potential. His choice. Man up and live with your decisions. The sense of entitement infuriates me.
Another thing I keep hearing is the already-signed player "deserves a better contract." Why doesnt this apply to everyday people that are hurt financially with credit cards, cars, houses, and other financial decisions that "deserve" better? Why do everyday people not have the ability to get out of a contract, yet a millionaire deserves it?

The truth is there's a salary cap,....so if the 49ers have a bunch of highly regarded players, they cant pay everyone what they "deserve." Guys getting what they deserve is a CBA issue, not a 49er issue.

Otherwise, what should we do at that point then?

Should we let the guys that "deserve" better contracts out of them so they can go to other teams that dont have the depth we do?

And if so, then what the hell is Baalke being paid for to begin with?

We might as well give up competing with the 31 other teams if our goal is to give players what they deserve instead of trying to maximize talent given a cut off amount.

These aren't everyday people. Everyday people can't block a 270lb guy coming full steam ahead. Said millionaire earned it bu working his ass off to get to where he is.
I think Boone is making a very good business decision.

If retiring is in the plans sure. Otherwise, we'll see if you're right.

It would not be smart for him to play out his contract until he's 29 years old. At 29, he probably only has 2 top level years in him and teams will also know this so Boone won't get the type of contract his play has earned.

Yep, but again,...that's a CBA issue and his agents were aware of how the CBA works when he signed. So you're basically saying Boone was not smart to begin with,...which would equate to a very bad business decision.

Compare that to someone like Revis that is signed up for 2 years,...but on the condition that the Patriots HAVE to pay him $20 Million for year 2. In other words, they will be forced to release him so he can collect something more long term when teams will have more money to pay.

He feels he will probably be worth more in the future, so he negotiates that into the contract beforehand,...not after. Now that's risky, but since longterm contracts arent guaranteed, probably smart.

When you are getting up there in [contractual] age,...it's up to you to backload a deal, much the way Revis did. If you choose to take the early money, you are responsible for the consequence of it.

And, if he does play like a top OL, SF will not resign him for a long contract at age 29 or 30.

Supply and demand,...if he shows he demands it, teams will pay it. Younger players have an advantage but again, that's due to the CBA, not SF.

It would be beneficial for the 49ers to reup him for 5 years and have him for the prime of his career.

But but but you just said teams will not want to sign him for much in a couple years. How is it so beneficial for us but apparently not to others? Care to give some numbers?

I think the 2 we have him for now as we wait for players like Brandon Thomas is more beneficial.

It will be more money now but will benefit the team in 3 years.

How will it benefit the team in 3 years? He may not even be a good player in 3 years, for one. Wh at if he quits football next year (and his actions now present that as a possibility)..... and we have to chase him down to recoup the extra money?

Then there are the 52 other players to account for. Crabs, Iupati, Aldon,...have you accounted for their contracts already? Can you guarantee us that they all fit in? If not,...then I dont think us you can guarantee us that he is worth ripping up his current contract just because.

Maybe we will mid-year or next year?

If players quit football, you cant make them play. They win there.

Come opening day, if we're talking about going forward with football,....what I do know is we get to continue participation and he's home on the couch. That's where we win.
[ Edited by random49er on Aug 14, 2014 at 2:50 PM ]
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by hohbie:
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
At what point do you man up and realize you lost the game of Chicken? Damn man this isn't just selfish anymore, it is dumb. You are losing your current money and a lot of it because you wouldn't take the extra millions on the table that weren't good enough? Somebody needs their head examined.

How has he lost? He can force a trade with a team that will agree to give him a new contract.
He cant force anything. Thats how he has lost.

He can sit out for the rest of his contract and sign with another team and we get nothing. Then he wins. Or we can trade him and get something.

He can't. The NFL rules (more specifically the CBA) do not allow that. He's ours for two years. If he were to sit out the entire season, he would STILL have two years with us from my understanding.

And on another note, let's say for the sake of the argument he could sit out for two years and be an unrestricted free agent. What team would possibly want him? What GM would pay a guy who didn't play football for two full seasons because he was unhappy about his deal? What would Alex Boone's value be then? He has lost.

Even if he still has to play out the contract after he sits out, he is useless to us if he sits out. So far, the person replacing him hasn't looked nearly as good as he has. Let's say he is still holding out after game 3. At that point, the team will need to make a decision to give him a better contract or trade him. Letting him sit is a lose-lose situation for both sides.

Honestly, I don't blame him. The 49ers saw the talent he had and offered him a deal. He wasn't starting and did not have the game tape of him starting to demand a higher deal. In all honesty, one can say the 49ers are doing the players dirty with these early extensions. They know the player looks like he's going to have a breakout year so they lock him in cheap.

I think Boone has completely outplayed his current contract. I also think SF will not reward him until before his final year. They did T Brown dirty also.

One could also say if Boone had confidence in himself, he should have not taken the deal and waited a year so his value is worth more. History of this office has shown they don't bend...so why should Boone. Sometimes, this front office needs to meet in the middle and take care of their players.

They tried to pay him, he refused. The team isnt doing anything dirty. Their philosophies are obvious to me as a fan, how are they not obvious to agents and players?

Boone is just a moron accepting horrible advice from greedy agents.

I think Boone is making a very good business decision.

If retiring is in the plans sure. Otherwise, we'll see if you're right.

It would not be smart for him to play out his contract until he's 29 years old. At 29, he probably only has 2 top level years in him and teams will also know this so Boone won't get the type of contract his play has earned.

Yep, but again,...that's a CBA issue and his agents were aware of how the CBA works when he signed. So you're basically saying Boone was not smart to begin with,...which would equate a very bad business decision.

Compare that to someone like Revis that is signed up for 2 years,...but on the condition that the Patriots HAVE to pay him $20 Million for year 2. In other words, they will be forced to release him so he can collect something more long term when teams will have more money to pay.

He feels he will probably be worth more in the future, so he negotiates that into the contract beforehand,...not after. Now that's risky, but since longterm contracts arent guaranteed, probably smart.

And, if he does play like a top OL, SF will not resign him for a long contract at age 29 or 30.

Supply and demand,...if he shows he demands it, teams will pay it. Younger players have an advantage but again, that's due to the CBA, not SF.

It would be beneficial for the 49ers to reup him for 5 years and have him for the prime of his career.

But but but you just said teams will not want to sign him for much in a couple years. How is it so beneficial for us but apparently not to others? Care to give some numbers?

I think the 2 we have him for now as we wait for players like Brandon Thomas is more beneficial.

It will be more money now but will benefit the team in 3 years.

How will it benefit the team in 3 years? He may not even be a good player in 3 years, for one. Wh at if he quits football next year (and his actions now present taht as a possibility..... and we have to chase him down to recoup the extra money?

Then there are the 52 other players to account for. Crabs, Iupati, Aldon,...have you accounted for their contracts already? Can you guarantee us that they all fit in? If not,...then I dont think us you can guarantee us that he is worth ripping up his current contract just because.

Maybe we will mid-year or next year?

If players quit football, you cant make them play. They win there.

Come opening day, if we're talking about going forward with football,....what I do know is we get to continue participation and he's home on the couch. That's where we win.

What I am saying is reup him now for 5 years. He plays for us until he's 32 which will most likely be the best five years he will probably play in the NFL. So, instead of having him for only two years, we have him for 5 on a fair value.

Looks like the front office is very confident in Baalke finding young replacements.
Boone signed a contract. Period. The 49ers didn't force anything. If he had a shred of confidence in his own abilities he would've/should've signed a one year deal.

So he's holding out because he became a starter while making backup money? With the 49ers track record does anyone honestly believe he would not be extended either this year or next? C'mon. If he told the team he'd show up if they promise to work on a new deal do you think they would say no? He's hurting himself with this crap. He's giving himself the image of a malcontent who doesn't honor his own signature.

This whole situations reeks of bad advice given by an agent.
Originally posted by AmpLee:
What I am saying is reup him now for 5 years. He plays for us until he's 32 which will most likely be the best five years he will probably play in the NFL. So, instead of having him for only two years, we have him for 5 on a fair value.

Looks like the front office is very confident in Baalke finding young replacements.

We can talk about re-upping him, when he returns to camp. Also, according to three separate NFL Network reporters, the 49ers offered him an extension last year that would have paid him top 15 G money. I think that's more than a fair place to start negotiating a deal and a good faith effort. Clearly his intention, or that of his agents, is to cash in huge on a mega deal this year. Not gonna happen.

He's better than top 15. Dude has the talent of a top 10 tackle.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Boone signed a contract. Period. The 49ers didn't force anything. If he had a shred of confidence in his own abilities he would've/should've signed a one year deal.

So he's holding out because he became a starter while making backup money? With the 49ers track record does anyone honestly believe he would not be extended either this year or next? C'mon. If he told the team he'd show up if they promise to work on a new deal do you think they would say no? He's hurting himself with this crap. He's giving himself the image of a malcontent who doesn't honor his own signature.

Exactly. He could have told them this any time and they could have responded with a verbal commitment to negotiate with him in good faith. And, there's a track record to support them if they said that - they've done just that in the past. But, he clearly hasn't done this and that's what makes me think he actually WANTS to go to another team for tackle money.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:

He is extremely underpaid, that is a fact. I do think the Niners would have extended him at some point this offseason like Joe Staley if he woulda just showed the f**k up.
Share 49ersWebzone