LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 207 users in the forums

The Alex Boone Thread!!!!!

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
People can debate whether Boon should have held out, but the problem is there is noone on the roster who can replace him now.
Originally posted by Rascal:
People can debate whether Boon should have held out, but the problem is there is noone on the roster who can replace him now.

I think passing judgments after one preseason game is premature, to say the least. None of the guys can likely match the same performance level as Boone but its entirely possible that Looney or Kilgore could be more than passable. Time will tell.

problem is, there is in no way you can cave to his contract demands.....
Baalke got this all under control
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I disagree with this argument. Its not about "betting on yourself." Its about protecting yourself from a major injury playing a very violent sport. You can be the greatest of all time, but if a 350 pound lineman roles up your leg, your career can be seriously delayed if not over. See the promising Kendall Hunter. Lord knows if he'll ever get another shot in the NFL or sign a life changing contract.

Then it's betting on yourself to stay healthy. Either way, the most risk-averse strategy is generally the least profitable. He gets financial security, so the 49ers get a discount. You always give something to get something. He made his choice, now he wants to change the deal, since he already got that security he wanted. It's still crap.

No doubt that's the NFL game, but the game is skewed in favor of the team/owners. Football players have the absolute worst contracts in all of major sports. A majority of these guys have very little guarantees for the amount of money they bring in and the skill it takes to get and stay in the NFL. You can say "don't sign the contract," but is that really a legit option? If you're not a QB, you have very little leverage. The team knows that they have 90 percenpt of players by the balls, but that's a different argument for a different time. If injuries weren't so common, most of these guys would have no problem playing out their rookie contract and hitting the FA Market to see what they are really worth. You got a remember, a guy like Boone wasn't even drafted. I don't know how much his original contract was, but it wasn't much at all. I think the Niners new they would make him a starter before they offered him very good "back up" money. Our front office is shrewd.
Adam Snyder is hurt so Boone adds a wee bit of leverage but at what cost? You get more valuable as your teammates get injured while you are at home on the couch. You wait and hope they either stink up the joint or fall like dominos to various injuries. Then you hope to return to the team a richer man to be a part of a TEAM!! Well business is business but there has to be a better way to get things done
No doubt that's the NFL game, but the game is skewed in favor of the team/owners. Football players have the absolute worst contracts in all of major sports. A majority of these guys have very little guarantees for the amount of money they bring in and the skill it takes to get and stay in the NFL. You can say "don't sign the contract," but is that really a legit option? If you're not a QB, you have very little leverage. The team knows that they have 90 percenpt of players by the balls, but that's a different argument for a different time. If injuries weren't so common, most of these guys would have no problem playing out their rookie contract and hitting the FA Market to see what they are really worth. You got a remember, a guy like Boone wasn't even drafted. I don't know how much his original contract was, but it wasn't much at all. I think the Niners new they would make him a starter before they offered him very good "back up" money. Our front office is shrewd.

Sure they did! Same with T Brown Ian Williams Boone Kilgore and would've with Cully if not for injury and legal issues.
Originally posted by Allx9er:
Baalke got this all under control

This times 1,000. I have 100% faith in Baalke to do the right thing. He is not intimidated. I am totally OK with whatever happens, because I know that Baalke is not going to screw this up.
I disagree with this argument. Its not about "betting on yourself." Its about protecting yourself from a major injury playing a very violent sport. You can be the greatest of all time, but if a 350 pound lineman roles up your leg, your career can be seriously delayed if not over. See the promising Kendall Hunter. Lord knows if he'll ever get another shot in the NFL or sign a life changing contract.

Then it's betting on yourself to stay healthy. Either way, the most risk-averse strategy is generally the least profitable. He gets financial security, so the 49ers get a discount. You always give something to get something. He made his choice, now he wants to change the deal, since he already got that security he wanted. It's still crap.

So he made the safest move for himself to ensure that he got some continuing income. He would have gotten more if he waited, but there was risk that he'd get hurt and receive nothing. Rather than take that risk, he took a deal that reflected his value at the time. Now his value is increased, he wants all of the benefits he'd have received by assuming that risk, but at no actual risk. People play out their contracts to hit FA all the time, and if they are good players, they tend to get overpaid. Our front office is shrewd, for sure, but Boone didn't have to sign that contract. Money now is always less than money later. His choice. He made a strategic error, now it's time to man-up, and face the consequence of his fear-based choice to re-up early.
So he made the safest move for himself to ensure that he got some continuing income. He would have gotten more if he waited, but there was risk that he'd get hurt and receive nothing. Rather than take that risk, he took a deal that reflected his value at the time. Now his value is increased, he wants all of the benefits he'd have received by assuming that risk, but at no actual risk. People play out their contracts to hit FA all the time, and if they are good players, they tend to get overpaid. Our front office is shrewd, for sure, but Boone didn't have to sign that contract. Money now is always less than money later. His choice. He made a strategic error, now it's time to man-up, and face the consequence of his fear-based choice to re-up early.

Which is exactly what Crabtree is banking on this season! He will put up a great season if healthy and then he will get mad dough in FA

• Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

I think passing judgments after one preseason game is premature, to say the least. None of the guys can likely match the same performance level as Boone but its entirely possible that Looney or Kilgore could be more than passable. Time will tell.

Looney ? No, passing judgement or not, that is my opinion. As for Kilgore, isn't he playing center ? Snyder is also injured, at least for now. Unless Marcus Martin could step up to play center and Kilgore could play guard. Like you, even then I wouldn't rate Kilgore over Boone. As for "passable", even if Kilgore was passable, I am just not convinced it would be good enough, perhaps more as a interim last resort measure.

But, in all likelihood, Baalke might be able be to iron out the contract with Boone, so we shall see what happens.
The two most important "we need you now" players at the moment are Ian Williams and Marcus Martin.

They have been injured, but these two players play right in the middle. We need them to get healthy and get going in the worst way right now.
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Looney ? No, passing judgement or not, that is my opinion. As for Kilgore, isn't he playing center ? Snyder is also injured, at least for now. Unless Marcus Martin could step up to play center and Kilgore could play guard. Like you, even then I wouldn't rate Kilgore over Boone. As for "passable", even if Kilgore was passable, I am just not convinced it would be good enough, perhaps more as a interim last resort measure.

But, in all likelihood, Baalke might be able be to iron out the contract with Boone, so we shall see what happens.

Didn't realize Looney was a lost cause. Might as well cut him since he had a so-so preseason game.

Frankly, you put Boone in there right now, and he might have missed a block or two....
No doubt that's the NFL game, but the game is skewed in favor of the team/owners. Football players have the absolute worst contracts in all of major sports

I agree with you....but then the onus is on them in negotiating better CBAs. This sport is unique in that there are 53 people to split up the revenue with per team,...and so do the stars get all of the money, or should there be more of an even split? The current CBA calls for less of a % of shared revenue between the players and the owners, but on the basis that the players are expecting a large spike in their share when these new tv deals are completed.

I am all in favor of these players being locked out until they get a better deal from these owners when the next CBA is negotiated. They deserve more, and if we have to skip an entire season, so be it.

But I am NOT in favor of players feeling they can continue to play in the NFL without having to fulfill their contracts,...because that's simply not the way the real world works.
Originally posted by random49er:
I agree with you....but then the onus is on them in negotiating better CBAs. This sport is unique in that there are 53 people to split up the revenue with per team,...and so do the stars get all of the money, or should there be more of an even split? The current CBA calls for less of a % of shared revenue between the players and the owners, but on the basis that the players are expecting a large spike in their share when these new tv deals are completed.

I am all in favor of these players being locked out until they get a better deal from these owners when the next CBA is negotiated. They deserve more, and if we have to skip an entire season, so be it.

But I am NOT in favor of players feeling they can continue to play in the NFL without having to fulfill their contracts,...because that's simply not the way the real world works.

The players don't lock themselves out, they go on strike if they want things changed. The owners, if they feel like they can negotiate a better deal, are the ones that will lock the players out.

Just clarifying.
Share 49ersWebzone