There are 67 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Is Dashon Goldson the best FS in the NFL?

He's definitely in the conversation
  • MarkD
  • Veteran
Yes definitely. I say this because he has everything. Plays the run, closing speed,ball skills, not afraid of contact, confidence, size, good hands and range. He is coming into his prime and he should be paid. If you look at his play 2011 and 2012 so far. Yes he is the best in the NFL. Ed Reed is on the tail end of his career. There is no comparison.
  • Chico
  • Veteran
don't know many other Free Safety's in the league
To answer the question - Yep!! I think he is the best FS in the league.

But I suppose if put together my highlights from high school I could make the argument I was the second coming of Warren Moon.
He will be a New England Patriot next year

#BookIt
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
I'd say yes just because he can play the pass, run, and KO somebody

and soft hands... I'm trying to remember the last drop INT from him.

This too he's a ballHAWK

You are not partial cause you have a man crush on him :)

He doesn't drop INTs. He just knocks out his own teammate trying to get one.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:

#BookIt

NE wont break the bank for him. They offered him pocket lint when he visited them previously. The only thing NE has going for them is that they are a contender. Goldson does see nothing but $$$$ signs when it comes to his contract but he wont go to a bad team just to make money IMHO. We were 500K - $1million apart this past offseason, so far he's validated his asking price. I dont see Baalke having an issue matching the offer this year.

Only way he gets away is if we can't restructure / cut / trade away enough contracts to keep him and set us up nicely to extend/re-sign the majority of Bowman, Culliver, Aldon, RJF, Brown, Manningham, etc. in the next 2 years and tag him / sign him long term.
[ Edited by sfout on Nov 5, 2012 at 7:29 AM ]
Yeah he is. Now we screwed ourselves by putting the tag on him. All he's gonna do now is want even more money...

#BookIt

We're gonna tag him again anyway, hopefully Goldson doesn't price himself out during negotiations for a long term contract. But if he does, and NE wants him then let em cough up a first rounder. I dont mind stock piling first round picks.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

He doesn't drop INTs. He just knocks out his own teammate trying to get one.

He has to try and make plays because nobody else can catch in our secondary
Goldson is better than he was last year, I'll give you that.

I imagine that the front office is surprised at how good he is this year.
Goldson is the most complete SAFETY.

I don't think there is any FS or SS in the NFL with the combination of coverage skills and run support skills that Goldson has.

Maybe you cut Whitner in the offseason to make room for Goldson's extension?

#BookIt

don't you dare say that
Nonsense! The best FS in the NFL? Eric Weddle is the best safety in the NFL. Reed and Woodson are old, but are still better players. Polamalu is better when healthy. Earl Thomas IS better, and he CAN tackle (in response to an earlier post). Byrd in Buf is pretty darn good. Goldson is in the mix, and given the age of the elite ones, he can be considered in the top 5 FS's. However, lets not forget that the team that has been extending everyone's contract is reluctant with extending his for a reason. He makes plays, and hits like no other safety in the game today, however he's also known to blow coverage and get beaten deep. He's been a lot better this year, but is still not shutdown in coverage. Someone mentioned he was an 86 in Madden, and I think that's a very fair rating.